Custom Content Folder Structure Primer

MitovoMitovo Posts: 216
edited June 19 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi all,

So, I've looked all over google, searched on the Wiki here, and have searched the forums and have received *some* info about how people set up their content.

When looking at other content, specifically environments and/or props, I realize there's a *lot* I'm not understanding, or that isn't very self-evident (to me anyway) in its hows/whys.

For example, I was looking through the content folders for some of the environments I have in DS (Alchemy Chasm, Into The Asylum, Shaded Haven and TOA to be specific). I was hoping looking through those would bring some kind of pattern or system to light. Instead it's only confused me further, as there seemed to be differently named and structured folders... Folders existed in one set that didn't exist in the other. There seemed to be multiple folders for content in some cases... I noticed DSON files in each folder (not sure what those are for, really... or if they're necessary?)... are Runtime folders always required? If not, when and why would you use them?

In all, it just seems like there's quite a bit to understand there for someone whom, like myself, would like to create and release custom content for DS. I assumed there would have to be some kind of primer or manual or something somewhere that would explain the setup, provide an overview of the absolute basics - as in "this is absolute bare minimum structure DS looks for, and this is how it's set up, and this is what goes in each folder"... And then perhaps going into detail of what other folders might be for

Further, I'm wondering if custom content would go into the same folder as other content I purchase/download from DAZ, in My DAZ Connect Library? Would it go into the My Library folder?

Also curious about best practices for creating content. What are things that DAZ's content reviewers/QA look for, etc. I've noticed the use of bumpmaps rather than normal maps in DS.. are Normal Maps not used at all by DS?

And so on, I'm sure you get what I'm after by now lol.

I'm wondering if there's any kind of actual formal documentation or video walkthrough or something that goes through this? Or is it all just through trial and error 'til I get it?

Again, I swear I've done tons of googling and searching and such. I've just not found anything that really does a good job of explaining it. I'm assuming there's some resource I'm overlooking somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help. Appreciate it :)

Post edited by Mitovo on

Comments

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 16,790
    Mitovo said:

    Hi all,

    So, I've looked all over google, searched on the Wiki here, and have searched the forums and have received *some* info about how people set up their content.

    When looking at other content, specifically environments and/or props, I realize there's a *lot* I'm not understanding, or that isn't very self-evident (to me anyway) in its hows/whys.

    For example, I was looking through the content folders for some of the environments I have in DS (Alchemy Chasm, Into The Asylum, Shaded Haven and TOA to be specific). I was hoping looking through those would bring some kind of pattern or system to light. Instead it's only confused me further, as there seemed to be differently named and structured folders... Folders existed in one set that didn't exist in the other. There seemed to be multiple folders for content in some cases... I noticed DSON files in each folder (not sure what those are for, really... or if they're necessary?)... are Runtime folders always required? If not, when and why would you use them?

    The standard categories to use are here:  http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/format_description/metadata/categories/start

    Content types are here:  http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/format_description/metadata/content_types/start

    A lot of content was released before these were standardized, unfortunately, and it's a long process to update them as well as adding metadata to all the products which never had it.

    Mitovo said:


    In all, it just seems like there's quite a bit to understand there for someone whom, like myself, would like to create and release custom content for DS. I assumed there would have to be some kind of primer or manual or something somewhere that would explain the setup, provide an overview of the absolute basics - as in "this is absolute bare minimum structure DS looks for, and this is how it's set up, and this is what goes in each folder"... And then perhaps going into detail of what other folders might be for

    AFAIK Daz QA creates the metadata, rather than the content creators.

    Mitovo said:



    Further, I'm wondering if custom content would go into the same folder as other content I purchase/download from DAZ, in My DAZ Connect Library? Would it go into the My Library folder?

    "My Daz Connect Library" is only for content downloaded through Connect.  The default for other content is "My Daz 3D Library" for items installed with DIM, and "My Library" for other items, whether made by the user or manually installed from elsewhere.

    Mitovo said:


    Also curious about best practices for creating content. What are things that DAZ's content reviewers/QA look for, etc. I've noticed the use of bumpmaps rather than normal maps in DS.. are Normal Maps not used at all by DS?

    DS uses normal maps, and I think that's the direction most content is moving toward, although there may be reasons I'm unaware of for not using them in specific cases.

    Mitovo said:



    And so on, I'm sure you get what I'm after by now lol.

    I'm wondering if there's any kind of actual formal documentation or video walkthrough or something that goes through this? Or is it all just through trial and error 'til I get it?

    Again, I swear I've done tons of googling and searching and such. I've just not found anything that really does a good job of explaining it. I'm assuming there's some resource I'm overlooking somewhere.

    Thanks in advance for any help. Appreciate it :)

     

  • MitovoMitovo Posts: 216

    Fixmypcmike

    Thank you! That actually helped me out quite a bit about some details that were eluding me. It's actually a bit simpler than I'd figured.

    So... for installing content.. if I want to do it manually, it'll go into My Library.

    If I'm using DIM, it automatically goes into My DAZ 3D Library"

    That's perfect.

    Thanks again!

  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 2,959

    It will go anywhere you tell DIM to put it or anywhere you choose to install manually, either way Studio must be told where it is.  When packaging content do not place inside a library folder inside the zip.

Sign In or Register to comment.