Creating a "Wedge" object

mywazamywaza Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I need to create a "wedge". Basically a rectangular prism (long cube) with, on one end, two of the parallel edges (segments) reduced to zero length.

Perhaps, I can combine two flat surfaces and intersect on opposite sides of the prism to effectively slice off the pieces leaving a wedge?

I may need to learn how to intersect/merge in Bryce.

I will appreciate any pointers offered.

Thank you,

Comments

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

mywaza said:
    I need to create a "wedge". Basically a rectangular prism (long cube) with, on one end, two of the parallel edges (segments) reduced to zero length.

Perhaps, I can combine two flat surfaces and intersect on opposite sides of the prism to effectively slice off the pieces leaving a wedge?

Thank you,

I would use Boolean operation to achieve this.

I'll post and example shortly with more details.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

mywaza said:

Thank you,

Well if you're working with Bryce 7 pro there should be within your main objects library a sub library called additional primitives and the shape you are looking for may already be in there. There appears to be one that fits your description see attached image.

Untitled.png
    704 x 466 - 55K
  • mywazamywaza Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Got it: Use "Positive" on survivor and "Negative" on object executing the removal then "Group" objects.

Cheers,

• mywazamywaza Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Thanks LordHardDriven,

I am using Pro and looking for the sub-library...

Appreciate that response.

Post edited by mywaza on
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Ok here it goes... my first attempt at helping someone with Bryce :)

Here is how I made this image.

1. I created a new scene and created a cube from the "Create" option
    2. I stretched the cube on the Z Axis
    3. While the Cube was still selected, I used CTRL-D to make a duplicate
    4. I stretched this second copy on the Z and X Axis it is important to stretch it quite longer on the Z Axis as you will be tilting this one
    and the X Axis a bit wider so as to make sure to cut properly.
    5. From the edit menu I tilted the duplicate and stretched copy on the X Axis. Viewing from the TOP and RIGHT video to make sure it was aligned up properly.
    6. Select the original rectangle should be "Cube1" click on the "A" next to the object to enter the "Object Attributes" screen and set it to "Positive"
    7. Next do the same for the duplicated object "Cube2" and this time set it to "Negative" .
    8 Select both objects Cube1 & Cube2 and group both objects.

Now when you render the scene it should look like the object I've created, I rushed the one I made it, so its not as perfect as it could be if you look at the pointed edge.

I hope this helps.

prism.jpg
    960 x 540 - 164K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

mywaza said:
    Thanks LordHardDriven,

I am using Pro and looking for the sub-library...

Appreciate that response.

If you end up using that primitive and it's not quite the shape you want you could quickly modify it using the edit controls.

As for finding it click where it says create near the top of the Bryce interface, click the little triangle just to the right of create. A widow should open and by default you should be in a folder called installed and additional primitives should be at the top of the list of libraries under installed.

Untitled.png
    800 x 537 - 302K