Dumb Question

Collective3dCollective3d Posts: 446
edited December 1969 in New Users

This is clearly a PEBKAC error (or an 1d10t), but I can't figure out what I did.

I have somehow set things up so that every newly created figure automagically assumes the Michael 5 morphs, which I have to zero each time I load a new figure.

Hoping someone here can shed some light on what I managed to foul up.

Comments

• samialshahrisamialshahri Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

if you mean zeroing by deleting the genesis figure at start, no. just drag the M5 icon and let go on the figure you be given 2 option load as new or apply to figure and Daz will "automagic"ly make you a M5.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

j.zyla said:
    This is clearly a PEBKAC error (or an 1d10t), but I can't figure out what I did.

I have somehow set things up so that every newly created figure automagically assumes the Michael 5 morphs, which I have to zero each time I load a new figure.

Hoping someone here can shed some light on what I managed to foul up.

Did you recently save a "character" file? I made that mistake once and every Genesis loaded looked like said character until I deleted the character files I had made, from the program.

• Collective3dCollective3d Posts: 446
    edited February 2013

I have made a lot of intricate characters for the current project I'm working on, at least a dozen, with custom morphs, clothing, poses, texture maps, etc, of my creation. I'm not about to delete and re-make them as that would set my project back by several months.

Ultimately what's happened is the Michael 5 morph has been added to the set of default morphs that loads with every character.

For example, if I load in the generic Genesis, it loads into the scene as Michael 5. If I load in a Victoria 5 character, it loads in with both the Victoria 5 AND the Michael 5 morphs.

I suppose the best way to go about it would be to nuke the Daz installation and re-install it, but I'm hesitant to either a) risk losing all the custom stuff I have created and imported or b) having to back up and then re-install all the custom stuff I have created and imported.

Whatever I have done has basically overridden the basic default settings for new characters. It is not a huge hassle; I only have to dial Michael down to 0 before working on the character. I'm more curious to find out exactly what I did.

Post edited by Collective3d on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Go to the Parameters pane, select your loaded Genesis figure, go to the 'Currently Used' option and get rid of all of the morphs that are being used. Resave Genesis.DUF to where it is loading from. You should now have the basic figure.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

You may have overwritten the Genesis.duf at one point when you were saving your characters.

Try loading the base Genesis and set M5 back to 0, then resave the base Genesis.duf.
    (File → Save As → Support Asset → Figure/Prop Assets).

I'd saved the Gorilla as a duf when I thought you had to create Poser Companion Files for products like the Gorilla. Consequently, it didn't matter which Genesis I loaded in Poser, they all started out as the Gorilla. By loading the Genesis base in DS, setting the Gorilla dials back to 0, then saving the Genesis.duf again, all versions of Genesis loaded properly dialed after that.

j.zyla said:
    I have made a lot of intricate characters for the current project I'm working on, at least a dozen, with custom morphs, clothing, poses, texture maps, etc, of my creation. I'm not about to delete and re-make them as that would set my project back by several months.

Ultimately what's happened is the Michael 5 morph has been added to the set of default morphs that loads with every character.

For example, if I load in the generic Genesis, it loads into the scene as Michael 5. If I load in a Victoria 5 character, it loads in with both the Victoria 5 AND the Michael 5 morphs.

I suppose the best way to go about it would be to nuke the Daz installation and re-install it, but I'm hesitant to either a) risk losing all the custom stuff I have created and imported or b) having to back up and then re-install all the custom stuff I have created and imported.

Whatever I have done has basically overridden the basic default settings for new characters. It is not a huge hassle; I only have to dial Michael down to 0 before working on the character. I'm more curious to find out exactly what I did.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited February 2013

I understand many user often think to resave genesis.duf.
    but I think,, it can not answer for other character.duf

check again what he said,,

even though load Vicotia5 duf, it mixed with micheal shape.

so please think about the meaning.

when , load genesis duf,, it simply call genesis.dsf from DATA usually.
    then genesis.dsf with all morph.dsf of genesis show in daz stuido.

Usually each morph dsf are saved as default and current value "0"
    so that,, they never apply their shape.

but when save morph dsf with current value, or default value changed,,
    which character duf,, you load,, everytime the character mix the morph shape.

ofcourse, you can change the value of morph by genesis.duf, and save it as new character preset.
    but it can not answer about other character duf.

because every character duf call, geneisis.dsf with all morphs in data which saved current value.
    then character.duf apply value which need for the character.

so we need to change the value of morph file. (eg FBMmicheal5.dsf etc)

about his case,, he said,, when he use "zero figure"
    the character shape can turn to zero genesis.
    it tell,, the morphs are saved with current value (not zero).

there seems some pattern,

1. FBMMIcheal.dsf has been saved as changed.current value.

2 other morph.dsf has been saved as changed current value
    and it has ERC to FBMMicheal. it can apply value to FBMmicheal

about case 1, he just need to uninstall the MIcheal morph, then install again.
    FBMmicheal(4 or 5).dsf may saved as current value zero. so it remove the problem

about case 2, he need to find the morph which changed value, as Jimmy said.
    change current value and default value of the morph to zero. by parameter tab.
    and save the morph again with same name of teh morph.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

1 clear scene. then load genuin genesis.duf

2 now it apply M4 shape ('or other morph shape) (on my case,, because I changed FBMmicheal4 code by text editor)

3 open parameter tab, and change option to show hidden parameter (not need usually, but if it is hide parameter morph, you may need, so do it)

4 go to top menu, then EDIT>Figure>zero figure shape

5 in parameter tab,, click "currently used"
    (if the morph has been saved with current value= 1 or 0.7 etc,
    when you use "zero figure shape" ,
    the value change to zero, so it can be shown, as "currently used" in parameterb tab.

6 you may find morphs which saved with changed value. the value color "0.00" show as clear white.
    it means the value changed. by zero shape.

7 click the little gear icon of the parameter, and open Parameter setting.
    you can find the morph name. in this case it is "FBMMicheal4"

7 you can see the default value = 1, it cause problem. turn it to zero. then Accept.

8 go to top menu then file > save as >support assets> save modified assets.
    you may see the confirm window,
    it may tell the morph modifeid now.

9 click accept.

10 delete the genesis. then load new genesis.duf I hope, it can remove your problem

load3.JPG
    930 x 725 - 141K
    load2.JPG
    1191 x 655 - 143K
    load1.JPG
    999 x 662 - 119K
  • Collective3dCollective3d Posts: 446
    edited December 1969

A bit of a necro here, so my apologies first.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. After trying these out with mixed results, in the end I just uninstalled and reinstalled M5 and V5 and the problem cleared up.

I have to say, after spending so many years working exclusively in Max, there's a bit of a learning curve with the way files, formats, and file paths work in Daz. Getting there slowly but surely.

I'm almost positive I'll do or need something else jaw droppingly dumb in the near future, so thanks again for all your help!