IMPORTANT - Install Manager Notice - BEST THING EVER (updated)

124»

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

You can also right click on the file and select show installed files

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited October 2013

@Frank0314, @fixmypcmike

EDIT: thanks for your feedback. 6 precious hours later I managed to solve the missing M5 issue above.

Turns out the DIM version I installed created a My Daz 3D Libray folder in User/Public, but installed the ACTUAL files into User/Name/My Daz 3D Library. No wonder adding CDM>new My Daz 3D Library directory did nothing. Previous DIM was a schizo robot indeed.

I updated DIM after the last post. I then uninstalled everything DIM installed. DIM then tells me Michael 5 files = new updates. Seems like they fixed some M5 issues. I redownloaded M5 files, then reinstalled all uninstalled files to a fresh new empty drive/folder. Went back to CDM>add new directory. M5 is now added to Smart Content. So the issue is solved.

Meanwhile I am still a bit concerned about the mis-installed User/Name/My Daz 3D Library/Previous Installed Files. It is still there with all the files after DIM uninstalled. Should I delete this library manually from Explorer? Will it break things?

Thanks again.

@Dartanbeck: I can relate - I was a modder/modeller for The Sims and SC4 currently investing some precious time and resources in my graphics novel and animated docu projects. Daz3D is frustrating to new/intermediate Daz users like myself, not because it has historical baggages like Poser and previous Gens (I economized for that when I signed up) or new users are fluffy panicky noobs. There are coders and advanced 3D pros among those affected by DIM + content mess for the past few months. Daz frustrates because it is a features-rich creative tool with amazing potential wasted by scattered-brain documentation and messy forums relying mostly on the kindness of veterans.

What Daz needs is not more tutorials and docu and wikis and forums pointing to yet more wikis and forum links. They need ONE solid info central with proper clear-audio videos. They also need to stop speaking Daz.

Thanks again for your kindness and understanding.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

I must say, I am enjoying the difference of having the DIM from the days before it - even though I've yet to use so much content lately to notice any issues... But everything seems to be in order.

I really like how it knows what I've purchased and is always ready to help me file my new goods to where I want them to be. It's just very nice and neat. Oh... and there's that great ability to uninstall anything I want for whatever reason. If I want to further change my runtimes, I can select multiple files that I want to reorganize and uninstall them all together. Immediately these products become ready to download, if I haven't saved a copy, or ready to install, if I chose not to delete my installed products. Now I make my new directory and have it install all of them to this new spot... bam! And is it ever fast! As hinted to above, you also get a full alphabetical listing over everything! Just plain sweet!

edited December 1969

I'm beginning to get DIM. Just uninstalled/reinstalled last year's purchase so that official stuff sit in one directory. Quite speedily. Uninstalling the old way is pain indeed. I really admire the patience of those core users with 4-figure files.

Appreciate any pointers on deleting unwanted custom files properly. I deleted a custom prop from my library/prop inside Daz. Checked in Explorer, gone too. Good. However that prop is still there inside data/name/products. Am I doing it wrong?

edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    Appreciate any pointers on deleting unwanted custom files properly. I deleted a custom prop from my library/prop inside Daz. Checked in Explorer, gone too. Good. However that prop is still there inside data/name/products. Am I doing it wrong?
    Kind of, and that's what I really like about the DIM when it comes to non-custom items - it knows where everything gets put - so when it updates or uninstalls a content product, it removes it entirely - and, in the case of updates, installs the fresh files on a clean slate.

Not being sure what was involved in the custom prop, it's hard to say where those extra files are hiding, but I am relatively certain that it's somewhere in the 'Data' folder. This helpful page instructs us how to create meta data, which is what you're still seeing. Perhaps it can help you? But I'm fairly certain that, if you can find the artists name, or whatever folder he or she may have used to store product information in, you should be able to locate the files that you're seeing.

Personally, I like to have a super-clean environment for DIM.

The only stuff that I install manually to my DIM-created directories are my own products that I'm making. I use this site for assistance when making my products. But when it comes to file structuring, we can perform a fairly simple task to find stuff (or where stuff belongs):
    Open the zip that contains the content you wish to remove. In my case, I'm looking at a product made for Genesis. I know that uses the latest filing structure. Upon opening the 'content' folder, I notice three main installation directories: Data, People, and Runtime.
    For DAZ Studio items, the Runtime folder is only used for texture folders, that I've seen so far.
    People branches off into the various categories available to Genesis; Characters, Clothing, Materials, Poses, etc.,
    Data holds the actual geometry and geometry-changing (morph) data.

It is the Data folder which we use for storing all of our morphs and geometry for our products, so it's best for all published artists to create their own, unique folder within - so we can organize (or not) our files without making a mess outside our own folder.
    Personally, I enjoy a clean structure. So I just start with "Dartanbeck" and further organize by product type, product name, and then the type of file I'm storing. This way, uninstalling a product makes it to the product name, and deletes that whole folder - and it's gone - but nothing else.

When you find things in the "Products" category, I'm assuming that this is under Smart Content. I have not yet truly explored the wonders of Smart Content in Carrara. To me, it seems smarter to go to the People folder in the Content tab (under My DAZ 3D) and look for my specific needs - probably because I mostly have something specific in mind before I sit at my computer and open Carrara. But I like the idea of having the database offering suggestions. Perhaps I'll try to change my ways and give this SC tab a try!

edited December 1969

Ooops, I really feel compelled to add to what I've just said, above:

Earlier installations of Genesis used to contain files that really need to be taken away prior to further updating. Uninstallers create a detailed understanding of where everything got installed - so that it knows exactly where stuff must be removed - without removing anything that it didn't install. When we install manually, we have a way of manual uninstalling if we retain our original installation material - the product file, even if it's a freebie. I store everything I've ever bought or obtained free on hard disks (After loosing data to CDs and DVDs, I've gone glass!) which all started with my urge and needs to obtain larger and larger HDDs as time goes on, leaving perfectly good drives without a purpose. So I give them the purpose of storing stuff for me!

Okay... anyways,
    By opening the installation material, like a zip, we can track down where everything is supposed to go. In the case of Bitrock Installers, just make a unique folder on your desktop and install it there. By doing this, you're giving it a singular location to install all of its contents.

Now we have something solid to look at to make sure that everything that went in has a way of coming out.

Genesis and Uninstalling
    It is my personal opinion that Genesis and Genesis-related products require more special attention and care of the files we keep, that other, older content products. In the case of Genesis, it seems that, not uninstalling before re-installing is what helps to bring about "An Error Has Occurred" type of yuck. The Genesis line has made some important changes since its initial release. Installing the latest updates is the best way to go - but manual installs should be done with a bit more care that the old runtime method, where you just drag the new files over the specified folder and it's done.
    Manual installation for Genesis and Genesis-related items should include, in my opinion, storage for the latest downloads after installation. This way we may open the last download and compare it to the new update for differences. We're not looking for new files in the new install download, we're looking for things in the previous download that is not included in the new download. If the previous download contains stuff that the update doesn't, hunt it down and get rid of it.
    An easier, less time-consuming method, would be to check the previous download and delete everything that it installed - then install the update.

You see why DIM is a much faster solution?

Not uninstalling the unnecessary files can cause build up and errors.

For a bit more,
    Genesis and Genesis 2 are a sophisticated method of tricking your computer into thinking that they are much lower resolution than they've been designed to be. They use a special Subdivision cage, where the artist is able to manipulate how the mesh gets subdivided allowing for great details in the mesh that are not always bogging down your computer's memory. It is more sophisticated than all of that - but just to get an idea. The future of Genesis has got to be one of those things we just need to fasten our seat belts for!

I applaud DAZ 3D for using this as they push forward into the future. This is some great technology - and they've done a brilliant job building DAZ Studio into a machine that knows exactly what to do with that mesh cage and all of its sophisticated data. And now Carrara sees this new Triax as Carrara native content - which makes for an exciting future for Carrara as well! Now I just hope that we'll get further cage manipulation tools as development of Carrara continues - but I can wait. Cranking smoothing to 3 is over a million polygons for Genesis alone - and 4 pushes it beyond 5 million! I'm just not needing that kind of resolution just yet - but it's interesting to ponder the future!

edited October 2013

Not being sure what was involved in the custom prop, it's hard to say where those extra files are hiding, but I am relatively certain that it's somewhere in the 'Data' folder.
    Hi again Dartenbeck. The said custom prop is a standard one. Anyway the question's been answered here, but thanks.:-) In short, I can delete custom props from within Daz. But to completely delete them from my system, I need to go Explorer/.../.../data/.../, hunt down its folder, manually delete it.

To me Daz's pre-DIM way of installing/uninstalling product packs are pretty straight forward, albeit clunky. But overall Daz's internal order is not confusing. Everything has its logic. What's bewildering to most noobs are not the actual technicalities and path-finding - but the Meta perspective of Daz - the history, the contexts of pre-Genesis Daz. It's not hard to imagine how much Poser info and misinfo clutter Google search results and overwhelmed otherwise lucid noobs like me.

The time it took for me to work out Poser Runtime vs Daz Runtime vs Daz Data, I could've saved it for better use, like learning how to pose and animate. Carrara users probably suffer the same.

And to top that there are multiple layer of learning for saving each content type - WHAT FORMAT to save it, WHICH OLD/NEW FORMAT to save it and WHY, WHERE to save it to, and WHAT NOT to do with it. The latter is very crucial. One wrong step, it's CMS DIM metadata reinstall-multiple-apps nightmare lol...
    :cheese:
    Like you too I like to keep my system clean and organized. Being a classic SimCity type, I also like to plan my city layout before I sprawl. I hate traffic jams and pollution!

so it's best for all published artists to create their own, unique folder within - so we can organize (or not) our files without making a mess outside our own folder.

Agreed +++. I bought a bunch of products off the store. Their filing disorganization confused me as much as Daz meta-history and doc-deficiency.

I more or less get how Daz stores custom files now. I now have 3 Libraries under Daz format. Stopped fretting over third party mess in My Libraries, started to create my own Categories that make sense to me.

Smart Content looks pretty. But I think I should master Categories first before venturing there.

You mentioned saving your custom stuff into DIM directory. Is that the thing to do? DIM demanded an "empty" drive. And it won't uninstall my custom content anyway. Isn't it better to keep DIM for official install content, and another directory for custom/freebie content?

I also notice since I reinstalled DIM + pre-DIM content, some of my new custom asset save path have been changed to go to DIM directory. Some, not all. Minor annoyance, but I hope it doesn't have greater implications...

On the whole, I feel more secure after reinstalling pre-DIM stuff. Michael 5 update appeared again today when I log on DIM. Very cool.

What you said about Genesis is also interesting. This discussion certainly gives noobs like me a more meta perspective.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • JackGerberJackGerber Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

I was wondering if there is any way to AVOID using the DAZ Install manager to get a new product or is this now mandatory? Can anything be obtained now and just downloaded as it used to be?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2013

Yes. go to you account from the link top right, click on Product Library. THe blue download button allows a manual download of the zip.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JackGerberJackGerber Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes. go to you account from the link top right, click on Product Library. THe blue download button allows a manual download of the zip.

Thank you SO much. I saw the manual button and didn't realize it meant manual download. Duh! Thought it meant a manual for the product.