Commerical Products forum gone?

167891012»

Comments

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited February 2013

I agree. It ought to be the end result that matters. I don't see how what most DS/Poser users do is terribly different from any other collaboration between artists.

The exception being the bulk of commercial 3d work, while it might not always look terribly different, the fact is that the end result can either a scene made up of content someone else built, or content the artist built themselves.
    An employer looking to hire someone for a job or project in CG industry is usually only intreasted in seeing examples of the latter, sometimes everything from early concept sketches right up to the final render, because most of the time they want something that is 100% unique to them, designed & built from the ground up to their exact requirments and not something that is overly reliant on being assembled from pre built assets which are avaliable to anyone.
    Of course there are a few exceptions, especially in less common situations where CG can be applied. such as occasional product packaging, book covers and T shirts etc.

But yeah, In terms of creating art as a vice, i agree that its irrelivant how it has been executed or what has been used.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited February 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Ego and self esteem are tied together. Everyone likes their kitty stroked... I mean their ego stroked. Ya know? :P

Oh definately!

As a Sun Leo, I can strongly and proudly attest to this statement! :-)

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,475
    edited February 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Ego and self esteem are tied together. Everyone likes their kitty stroked... I mean their ego stroked. Ya know? :P

Oh definately!

I have Saturn, rising and moon in Leo. Not to mention a couple asteroids. I don't want my ego stroked.

I just do what I love to do. Some will like it, some will hate it, but I'm being true to me.

Post edited by IgnisSerpentus on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

lol! I just got my CGtalk email confirmation.
    I think lurking is DEFINATELY in order!
    might model something crappy to put in my portfolio ;-P

Hey Wendy,
    I have had an account there for years.
    I'll see you over there.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Oh definately!

I have Saturn, rising and moon in Leo. Not to mention a couple asteroids. I don't want my ego stroked.

I just do what I love to do. Some will like it, some will hate it, but I'm being true to me.

EVERYONE likes to be stroked. You can take that any way you wish! :P

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I’m perfectly fine with the new policy, makes sense to me and other stores do the same.

But I saw people wanted an alternative to the commercial forum. I know dreamslayerartworks.com has very good relations with different stores including DAZ and they are very neutral, so I asked the owner for a forum space to post commercial threads no matter of what store and they came up with a section called “DSA Bulletin Board”.
    Since things have been tense here lately about this, I better won’t post a link to it.

Some people are angry at the new decision, I'm not. There won't be a replacement to the commercial forum here and this is not intended to be one. So I hope this is seen as a little help to vendors and customers including DAZ ones and nothing else. :roll:

“DreamslayerArtworks is a supporter of DAZ3D and in no way wishes to pull members away from DAZ. We will also be promoting DAZ products and sales when informed of such events.”

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

People at CGTalk do things of entirely another level. No wonder they make fun of us. It’s not right to do it, but I can’t blame them. :down:

edited February 2013

Hellboy said:
    People at CGTalk do things of entirely another level. No wonder they make fun of us. It’s not right to do it, but I can’t blame them. :down:

That's okay, I can lol Ive had a profile over there for yrs (on CG Society) Not anymore.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Because everyone, if they are capable, thinks their models are better than anyone else's. I think that's fair as it strokes the ego and fills the spirit with a sense of accomplishment. I know when I first started delving into making my own morphs, even though Genesis was made already, it really did all that for me. I know in my heart of hearts I don't have the patience to build a figure from scratch and rig it myself but I know now I can morph the hell out of it and make it mine. I can texture it and mate it more mine. Light it and surround it with other goodies to make the beginnings of art and then finish it in Photoshop with various layers, filters and brush strokes and yea, call it art.

If we were talking about Victoria 1, 2, 3 or 4, this would be true. We're talking about Genesis. I challenge anyone to find a figure like it anywhere on CGTalk or anywhere else for that matter...

How many people and hundreds of man-hours did it take to develop Genesis? By the time one person did it, the technology would have passed him by...

So when we're talking about Genesis, this whole arguement goes away. You morph the hell out of it, and make it yours. I challenge ANYONE on CGTalk to do the same and continue to say it's not as labour intensive as making one of those characters they spend hundreds of hours developing for a single scene.

edited December 1969

Yet Another BAD move, Daz!
    I am not at all for this new change. Daz used to be the spot I would start my Day. I'd stick my head in the forums, check out the FastGrab, New releases, etc. Daz was the place I STARTED my day for 3D news and information. This was my one stop shop
    Then you changed the store. Changed the forums. Dropped the PA items from FastGrab, changed the voucher, and on and on.
    I have been here since 2004 (I shared an account with my cousin). I have watched friends who have been here since 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, say goodbye and leave.
    I look in my wallet and I see myself spending less money here.
    Things are not going well.
    This new latest bad change will hurt a lot of small vendors. They aren't big enough to survive with no advertising budget. They might as well write their announcement in chalk on the sidewalk, More people would read them.
    Just because OTHER people have bad policies, doesn't mean you have to follow suit. This is where I came FIRST to find about EVERYTHING.
    Another bad move, Daz.
    Another bad move.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Because everyone, if they are capable, thinks their models are better than anyone else's. I think that's fair as it strokes the ego and fills the spirit with a sense of accomplishment. I know when I first started delving into making my own morphs, even though Genesis was made already, it really did all that for me. I know in my heart of hearts I don't have the patience to build a figure from scratch and rig it myself but I know now I can morph the hell out of it and make it mine. I can texture it and mate it more mine. Light it and surround it with other goodies to make the beginnings of art and then finish it in Photoshop with various layers, filters and brush strokes and yea, call it art.

If we were talking about Victoria 1, 2, 3 or 4, this would be true. We're talking about Genesis. I challenge anyone to find a figure like it anywhere on CGTalk or anywhere else for that matter...

How many people and hundreds of man-hours did it take to develop Genesis? By the time one person did it, the technology would have passed him by...

So when we're talking about Genesis, this whole arguement goes away. You morph the hell out of it, and make it yours. I challenge ANYONE on CGTalk to do the same and continue to say it's not as labour intensive as making one of those characters they spend hundreds of hours developing for a single scene.

Building (any) mesh from the ground up is much more labor intensive than morphing Genesis. Building a scene around either takes the same amount of time (unless, of course, its all being built from the ground up)

Does it make them better than anyone? Nah.... but I try not to snub anyone's interests, and give credit where its due. Some peoples work on that site is magnificent... and some peoples work within this community is also magnificent. And maybe that can make people more experienced, and not.... but definitely not better than anyone else. Its all a work in progress. The challenge is to find someone who didn't have modest beginnings.... for that would be a much harder feat.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,161
    edited December 1969

I've been going to cgtalk for as long as I've been at daz and I have to say the myth of cgtalk members being elitist against Poser/DAZ users is just that..a myth,they are more than happy to accept quality images that make use of purchased content,the cgchoice gallery has several renders that use Poser content,in the same way it features many arch viz renders that use purchased content.they actualy could care less what you use to make the image with.
    what they wont accept is bad quality images,and thankfully they'll let you know if your image is bad,and even offer advice on how to better improve your images.
    If I were still posting my images only to the renderosity gallerys I doubt I'd have improved much at all,It wasn't until I started posting at cgtalk that I got comments that had more substance than just 'oh wow, 5 stars ,great image' that I started to improve as an artist,I think some people just want the praise that those galleries offer,and have no desire at all to improve or allow for others to critique there work,maybe its the Dunning Kruger effect in action?
    so ,as far as I can see that 'eltist' attitude is perpetuated by a small group in the poser community who are quite happy with their lot and have no intention of improving their images,and yet insist that sites like cgtalk give them the same standing as those who are looking to improve,and looking to work in the industries that use all these 3d softwares.
    over the years I've read many threads posted at cgtalk about Poser and it's apparent low standing in the cg world..to which the replys from experienced users have always been 'use what gets the job done,the end product is all that matters',(they do get a little tired of the question though)
    sure there will be a few idiots who will look down on Poser/DAZ..the same way there are a few idiots around these parts who look down on other peoples work.isn't that just the way of the internet?

as for the main point of this thread..I sure wish I could post on renderosity or rdna or content paradise etc,maybe those wishing for the same at daz could petition those sites to allow me the freedom to post commercial threads and we can get along again.

thanks
    Stefan

PS:cgsociety has also had many featured articles about daz studio http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/daz_3d

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited February 2013

I've been going to cgtalk for as long as I've been at daz and I have to say the myth of cgtalk members being elitist against Poser/DAZ users is just that..a myth,they are more than happy to accept quality images that make use of purchased content,the cgchoice gallery has several renders that use Poser content,in the same way it features many arch viz renders that use purchased content.they actualy could care less what you use to make the image with.

Is that so? I used to see threads where complaints raised were solely against the fact that someone was using Poser/DAZ figures, no actual constructive criticism on the image. Maybe that's changed recently; I admit I haven't looked through their forums for over a year.

EDIT: Did a quick search, and it seems "DAZ" gets less of a bad rep than "Poser."

Post edited by agent unawares on
    edited December 1969

Is that so? I used to see threads where complaints raised were solely against the fact that someone was using Poser/DAZ figures, no actual constructive criticism on the image. Maybe that's changed recently; I admit I haven't looked through their forums for over a year.
    I'm a member over there too. There is a little elitism over there, but nowhere near as bad as people think.
    I usually avoid posting images online, so I really don't run into that kind of problem.
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,161
    edited December 1969

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=1091702

< that was posted a couple days ago,only two comments so far but neither are complaining about the software being used and its clearly labelled as using Poser,to get anything in that gallery you go through a judging process where the mods select and vote on images that are worth posting,if you dont get into that gallery then make use of the wip forums where you can get good advice on improving your images

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

I'm a member over there too. There is a little elitism over there, but nowhere near as bad as people think.
    I usually avoid posting images online, so I really don't run into that kind of problem.

Yeah, I went back and did a quick google search, and it seems they're more or less fine with DAZ content, which came as a bit of a surprise considering some of the reactions I'd seen before.
    edited February 2013

To be fair, I started my profile back in 2008. I had some art submitted, and I've never had anyone be rude (and I am not the most brilliant artist ever) But its not the first time Ive heard that before. Perception is everything tho. Sometimes a few bad eggs can spoil the dozen.

as for the main point of this thread..I sure wish I could post on renderosity or rdna or content paradise etc,maybe those wishing for the same at daz could petition those sites to allow me the freedom to post commercial threads and we can get along again.

And yes, this.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Why does Daz want to implement the same forum policy's as the other stores. I like Daz, Rendo, and RDNA (but more male products please RDNA). But I never go to either Rendo or RDNA forums to post or even lurk..... I always visit Daz forums because they are fun, active, and informative. Now it seems like Daz wants to focus on traffic and eyeballs and make new restrictions based on increasing store sales t instead of keeping the forums active, fun, and open for all. When the fun is gone so will I.... I'll treat Daz as a store just like Rendo and the others.

edited December 1969

Well, Stoneman. Daz has long been a haven for vendors from other sites to post commercial threads.
    I, like many others, have made Daz our one stop shop. Now they are changing things (again).
    I know I belong to RDNA, Rendo, but I check in there rarely.
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited February 2013

Hmmm, sounds fair, But in the long run I think Daz will see a drop in new PA's.

The way I had seen it was, people wanting to start creating products for Daz Studio could cut there teeth in markets where the bench mark wasn't so high and in time move over to become a PA at Daz when there work was of sufficient quality.

WIth this new setup a lot of potential creatives will just give up when they are initially knocked back from Daz with there first product. And lets face it it does take time and experience to make good products for Daz that also have strong market value.

I've heard a lot of people talk of using freebies to garner some experience. In my experience this doesn't work very well. For one people who download a freebie and it doesn't work as advertised tend to just shrug there shoulders and move on. People are also happier with lower quality products if there free so tend to give less feedback. Its also hard to maintain a practice of giving away work for free for long if your operating in a business capacity. Also in a way posting freebies will see Daz out of more sales then commercial threads ever will by introducing new customers to web spaces like sharecg and Rendo freebies. Maybe Daz should host freebies?

I think also that one thing that was good about these forums was the appearance of being forums for artists who use Daz Programs, this change makes it appear that the forums are for Daz Store Customers and less of an artist community.

Anyways like in the past, time will tell if this change is smart business or not.

Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited December 1969

..and we can get along again...

Stoney - thats what I'm hoping as well.
    It would be a real shame that if change ruins the good things we all get from this.

Especially long term, thats why it would be nice to see some other options available.
    Way I figure it is simple. If we work together - as a community - we all benefit.

• DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I think this discussion has run its course.

Questions have been asked and answered.

Alternative points of view offered and considered.

Even alternative locations discussed to be able to do this.

In the end, DAZ has seriously considered the pros and cons and must stand by the commitment and obligation to focus its promotional resources on its website, including the forum on DAZ PA and DAZ Products.

We thank everyone for their input. In order to have a serious discussion both parties must truly care. If DAZ didn't care, we would simply make the change and delete any posts complaining about it.
    If customers didn't care, they would just not respond and would go elsewhere.

To reiterate -

DAZ is NOT changing its freebie policy.
    DAZ is NOT banning all mentions or links to external sites or links to other products that come up in the course of discussion.

DAZ IS simply limiting posts in the commercial threads section to DAZ PAs promoting products that are or will be for sale on the DAZ site.

This discussion has been closed.