What Is Going On With Carrara?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    3DAGE said:
    HI Stan :)

Have you tried using DS 4.5 to simulate the optitex cloth, then freeze it (or whatever you do to make it an animation), and then save that animation as a DUF file.
    Then load that into the beta of C8.5

Also,... If there was a version of Daz Studio, and Carrara which you were happy with, and could use to get dynamic clothing into carrara,. then why not re install those programs, and use them just for that purpose, or until the issues with dynamic cloth between Carrara and DS are resolved.

Andy :)

Believe me I have tried both. Quite a few times. I have the same problem with DUF now as I had when collada got updated and broke it. I tried to roleback/reinstall but it didn't fix it. My only chance now is for carrara to get dynamic with it's clothing, but I think I stand a better chance of learning Blender.Have you ever tried Poser's Dynamic Cloth? Before I bought Carrara, I used to export figure clothes to obj, import and make into a parented prop and make them dynamic. Doesn't work well for some stuff, but with that Genesis Starter Kit, you could use his template to make all sorts of clothes for any figure in Hexagon, and import them to Poser and tweak their dynamics. Super simple, imports nicely to Carrara.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I wish I could quit my job and just do Carrara stuff all day long...

You and me both!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I wish I could quit my job and just do Carrara stuff all day long...

You and me both!
    Do It!!!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Do It!!!

You've seen my renders Dartanbeck Of The North ... I'm no Jack Tomalin or Stonemason. No way I can pay my mortgage with 3D.

Being able to write queries and fix badly managed SQL Servers nets me an income that supports this cool hobby...I'm not sure when the tables will be switched on that. ;-)

Here's one of my favourite web comics...you are now my Little Vader... :lol:

littleVader.jpg
    743 x 256 - 96K
  • NexySaloonNexySaloon Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

Like everyone, I'm watching for a newer Carrara. I'm using an 8 that is one step under pro- I thought it was the pro version when I bought it, but not quite. Oh well.

I'm learning to make things to sell so I'm also learning Poser because it is so popular. After using various softwares, I'm coming to where I don't care if they ever make a new Carrara, because why mess with perfection? Okay, nothing is perfect, but compared to the others it is REAL close.

Carrara is super fast, photo-realistic lighting and renders, and will load about anything with minor shader adjustments.
    I'm also working on an animation for fun, and Carrara is super easy to use for that too, and there is where the fast rendering is a real plus. Thanx for the fine software DAZ, and I'm one that is happy with what I've already got. -Rebecca De Carlo

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Have you ever tried Poser's Dynamic Cloth? Before I bought Carrara, I used to export figure clothes to obj, import and make into a parented prop and make them dynamic. Doesn't work well for some stuff, but with that Genesis Starter Kit, you could use his template to make all sorts of clothes for any figure in Hexagon, and import them to Poser and tweak their dynamics. Super simple, imports nicely to Carrara.

Actually before DAZ borked that as well I could easily do the poser dynamic clothes, save as a pz3 and have it function perfectly in carrara.
    If all I want is draped clothes, well carrara can do that now.
    The last version of Poser I had was 6. I uninstalled that eons ago and couldn't guess where I might have a copy to reinstall. I quit using poser when studio got actual tools for working content.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

IF this new EULA is what the big announcement was they can take it and shove it

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited February 2013

lol, I doubt it
    that is acrosss the board
    the special one is Carrara specific
    and
    Carrara self created content IS redistributabe and 3D printable (as is Hexagon)
    maybe they are doing a printing service for our own models lol!
    (and need to revise the EULA to rule out Daz content without a probably buyable per figure printed, license.)
    Autodesk now have a hologram printing service for 123D so maybe ;-P

this is utter speculation!!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

I cant get older installers without agreeing to this new EULA - that is utter BS

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

THey have said that this is being reviewed and rewritten.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16452/#242326

edited December 1969

so shouldn't it be removed until such time it is complete?

edited December 1969

They need a way to make sure all customers agree to the EULA.

Previously, before this change, you clicked to agree to the EULA every time you ran an installer. If you didn't click to agree, then the installer wouldn't run.

Now, with DIM you can download a whole list at a time, and only need to accept the EULA once, but they do need you to accept the EULA.

edited February 2013

do it at purchase time - and where is this rather DIM installer?

Post edited by None on
    edited December 1969

It is being issued to customers in batches. THe 2nd batch went out today.

edited December 1969

so all the good daz people getting it first huh :)

edited December 1969

NO We have at least one case where a volunteer hasn't got it yet and ordinary forum members have, so DAZ 3D isn't playing by Santa's rules.

Those doing the account setting and despatching the emails don't know who has been bad or good

edited December 1969

So they have no clue? How very Daz ;)

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

PC members get it first is what they said in a newsletter IIRC.
    edited December 1969

not a long list then ;)

edited December 1969

No only 12k or so PC members.

edited December 1969

think you missed the . out ;)

edited December 1969

DeCarlo said:
    Like everyone, I'm watching for a newer Carrara. I'm using an 8 that is one step under pro- I thought it was the pro version when I bought it, but not quite. Oh well.

I'm learning to make things to sell so I'm also learning Poser because it is so popular. After using various softwares, I'm coming to where I don't care if they ever make a new Carrara, because why mess with perfection? Okay, nothing is perfect, but compared to the others it is REAL close.

Carrara is super fast, photo-realistic lighting and renders, and will load about anything with minor shader adjustments.
    I'm also working on an animation for fun, and Carrara is super easy to use for that too, and there is where the fast rendering is a real plus. Thanx for the fine software DAZ, and I'm one that is happy with what I've already got. -Rebecca De Carlo

Wow... when I read this, I could swear it was ME! Welcome to Dartanbeck's world, Rebecca De Carlo!
    edited December 1969

No, 'cause I didn't get one yet. And they loved the H. E. double-toothpicks out of me. :coolhmm:
    edited December 1969

Being silly, of course! ;)

edited December 1969

goes without saying :lol:

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I got it the day before yesterday. I don't know how good I am...

Won't run on my legacy system, so we'll see if they decide to do a one size fits all store and exclude anybody that can't or doesn't want to use their POS batch installer.

edited December 1969

they already are excluding people, I cant download any of the old installers of mine unless i accept their new EULA, which is utter BS - luckily I have most as rar files anyway.

edited February 2013

Have you read the new EULA, It is actually more open in some places, as it now specifically allows you to install your content on mobile devices, ie laptops etc., the only real addition is about 3D printing.

THe reason you now agree to the EULA before downloading is because content is being distributed in zip files and not installers. At the moment not all is converted, but most, if downloaded using the install manager, comes as zips.

With Installers you had to agree to the EULA before you could install it. Now you need to agree before downloading it, and you will only need to agree once, whether you are downloading 1 or 100 products. So once the whole store is converted to the zip files it can save you any amount of "I accept" clicks when installing.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

so why do I need to accept this NEW one to get OLD content?? Why dont Daz put that as a requirement when buying NEW content, why the blanket accept?

edited December 1969

Because eventually every product in the store will come as a zip. SO they need people to accept the EULA, so you click to accept before you download, rather than clicking to accept when you install.

It is simply not feasible that they can let people into the download area for one reason and not let them in for another. We are talking about software here, not shop assistants.