What Is Going On With Carrara?

Comments

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

bigh said:
    And why do we have little green boxes under our avatars...? Is this to indicate how many times we've been banned from the forums or something?

no its if you been good or not ;-)

Why aren't mine all red, then? I'm confuzzled.. :P

Wishes for Carrara:

- More stable particle system
    - Better Poser/Daz content browser (I'd pay for SEARCH, for carps sake)
    - Better documentation (not holding my breath here, thank holy carp for tutorials)

Other than that, everything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned. The shader system is decent, Poser content support is good, terrain and landscaping is sufficient unto the task.. it's not Lightwave or Maya or SoftImage, but I'm not forking over $1100+, either! :bug:

All in all I have more compliments than complaints, and with Digital Cervers Guild and Inagoni and Fenric, there are some plugins that cover a lot of things that aren't there "out of the box". :coolsmile:

Post edited by Woolyloach on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

I finally downloaded the Mac version of MarvelousDesigner...! It's looking awesome.... If it's a choice between prefab Optitex and MD... I'm going with the one where I have creative control....

But those aren't dynamic, and aren't going to be in carrara.

Yeah. Neither is Optitex. Your point?

Are you sure?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_j_TvITD8[/video]

gimped damn forum.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    I didn't mean to give quite that impression

I certainly didn't see it that way. I know that you are one of The Amazing Ones who know about this stuff. :)

Fenric said:
    They implemented a COM style reference counting system, and that is very difficult to get right. I've never pinpointed an exact cause, just certain strongly iterative operations tend to go unstable - likely either a reference going to zero when it should not have, or lingering on when it should have been collected and then disrupting the next iteration.

Ah! Yes, that is a devilishly tricky thing to get right.

The error handling, however, is unforgiveable: "An Error has Occurred" is not something anyone should ever have to look at. There's not even a log to go check.

Absolutely! Again, SQL Server spoiled me. That should be the model for correct behaviour in my opinion. Heck, SQL Server won't even start up if it cannot write to its errorlog file!

edited December 1969

9 pages of fluff and no closer to an answer.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

what did you expect !

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Actually 4 days closer to an answer. :coolgrin:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815
    edited December 1969

the answer is 42

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    ManStan said:

what did you expect !

True.

Want me to tell you what the announcement is? It would be a guess, but not far from right.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    ManStan said:

I finally downloaded the Mac version of MarvelousDesigner...! It's looking awesome.... If it's a choice between prefab Optitex and MD... I'm going with the one where I have creative control....

But those aren't dynamic, and aren't going to be in carrara.

Yeah. Neither is Optitex. Your point?

Are you sure?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_j_TvITD8[/video]

gimped damn forum.
    What am I looking at? why is her clothing falling off?

Why do cloth and hair sims always look so weird? Just stop doing these bad sims people! Going to elaborate lengths to "prove" something works, even though it looks terrible... I don't understand. A sheath dress like that would be less distracting as a parented figure, and it would stay on... I'm sorry, I know this is a rant, but WHY WHY WHY are people demanding features that look goofy? There is no gee whiz factor just because something is waving or wriggling or dumping to the bottom of the frame due to hitting the sim button... Just go WITHOUT the sim 99% of the time it looks better....

99% of comedy is knowing when NOT to talk. 99% of art is knowing when to stop.... Not everything needs to be simmed! Augh! I'm freaking out! Someone slap me I'm hysterical....I'm completely anti sim this morning... ACK! Dynamics - it's all a lie!

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2013

I think well made conforming clothing with the adequate wrinkles and folds can look pretty good in an animation even though it's not dynamic and you can always make tweaks to help sell the realism since most conforming clothing comes with various morphs and there's always the magnet tool. If you look at frames of real movies, you don't see that much cloth movement and what movement there is could be more easily and believably be manually animated. And real hair usually doesn't move much thanks to hair product and/or lack of wind. I saw a video that someone did in Poser where they ran a hair prop through the cloth room and it looked and moved more realistically than any program's dynamic hair.

I think we spend too much time sometimes trying to play God.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited December 1969

my Optitex .duf scenes from DS4.5open in Carrara with animated frozen sims.
    I realize many are not so fortunate
    most Poser7 sims after running dyntomorphs work too.
    but actually, I do not use or need a lot of flowy cloth, animated morph targets look just as good often and you can create those from Carrara softbody bullet too,
    just pose your figure with the dress conformed,
    go into the vertex room and move it to roughly fit the pose using softselect ie a seated figure
    export the garment as an obj with morphs and skinning enabled
    import the obj, using bullet on it and figure, run a sofftbody sim with a chair underneath and the figure drop onto it with the cloth around it
    export the last frame
    import it as a morph target for the original.
    with fenrics obj exporter one may even be able to do a series of drapes

edited December 1969

my Optitex .duf scenes from DS4.5open in Carrara with animated frozen sims.
    I realize many are not so fortunate
    most Poser7 sims after running dyntomorphs work too.
    but actually, I do not use or need a lot of flowy cloth, animated morph targets look just as good often and you can create those from Carrara softbody bullet too,
    just pose your figure with the dress conformed,
    go into the vertex room and move it to roughly fit the pose using softselect ie a seated figure
    export the garment as an obj with morphs and skinning enabled
    import the obj, using bullet on it and figure, run a sofftbody sim with a chair underneath and the figure drop onto it with the cloth around it
    export the last frame
    import it as a morph target for the original.
    with fenrics obj exporter one may even be able to do a series of drapes

There's a good idea!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    ManStan said:

C'mon spill the beans! :)

edited February 2013

lol, I actually have not tried it using Carrara bullet, only Poser cloth!
    and I cheat and save the cr2 as a morphing variation of the dress!
    but same principle
    you can (the horror), also add it as a morph target in Daz studio! and save the pose!
    both Poser and DS are cool Carrara plugins!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    ManStan said:

C'mon spill the beans! :)

Sorry, Forum Team don't get any more information than Forum Members, it just stands to reason that we are 4 days nearer than we were 4 days ago. :roll:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    ManStan said:

Only if the announce date isn't February 29th! :bug: :snake: %-P

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Sorry, Forum Team don't get any more information than Forum Members, it just stands to reason that we are 4 days nearer than we were 4 days ago. :roll:

I had a feeling that's what you meant. :)

Patience my friends...let's wait until March before firing up the wild, unfounded speculation and conspiracy theories!

edited February 2013

Holly, that would have looked much better if I could have redone the dynamic sim in studio to sent to carrara. But DAZ killed that and has no intention of fixing it; as far as I can tell.

And the dress didn't fall off, the shoulder strap slipped down, which is what I would expect.

But that was basically a decent render of a rough draft which I was never able to complete. I was just getting it to work decent when DAZ killed collada. I keep getting told that DUF will move studio dynamics to carrara, but it's lucky to get a clothed figure from studio to carrara, let alone animation or dynamics.

"Patience my friends…let’s wait until March before firing up the wild, unfounded speculation and conspiracy theories!"

I don't have to wait, I could tell you now, but the post would just get pulled so no reason to. As I said it would be an assumptive guess, but probably right. I only see 3 possible scenarios. And the one that isn't bad is indifferent.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    chohole said:

I had a feeling that's what you meant. :)

Patience my friends...let's wait until March before firing up the wild, unfounded speculation and conspiracy theories!

But.. but.. I'm sure Carrara has been sold off to the Men in Black that are at Area 51 with the space aliens, the ones working with the shadow world government and the Illuminati! :bug: :gulp: %-P

Here's hoping it's good news... :cheese:

edited December 1969

My patience ran out the end of September.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Holly, that would have looked much better if I could have redone the dynamic sim in studio to sent to carrara. But DAZ killed that and has no intention of fixing it; as far as I can tell.

And the dress didn't fall off, the shoulder strap slipped down, which is what I would expect.

But that was basically a decent render of a rough draft which I was never able to complete. I was just getting it to work decent when DAZ killed collada. I keep getting told that DUF will move studio dynamics to carrara, but it's lucky to get a clothed figure from studio to carrara, let alone animation or dynamics.

Yeah, I'm not claiming I have had any success, or gotten as far along as you...

But I don't understand why you think Studio doing the sim and sending to Carrara is such a great step above MarvelousDesigner doing the sim and sending to Carrara... That's still not "inside" Carrara....

Or doing the sim in Poser for that matter....

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Yeah, I'm not claiming I have had any success, or gotten as far along as you...

But I don't understand why you think Studio doing the sim and sending to Carrara is such a great step above MarvelousDesigner doing the sim and sending to Carrara... That's still not "inside" Carrara....

One and only one reason $

And yes, I would much rather do poser like dynamic clothing in carrara, but I don't see that ever happening. I have to work with the tools available.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Stan :)

Have you tried using DS 4.5 to simulate the optitex cloth, then freeze it (or whatever you do to make it an animation), and then save that animation as a DUF file.
    Then load that into the beta of C8.5

Also,... If there was a version of Daz Studio, and Carrara which you were happy with, and could use to get dynamic clothing into carrara,. then why not re install those programs, and use them just for that purpose, or until the issues with dynamic cloth between Carrara and DS are resolved.

Andy :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Have you tried using DS 4.5 to simulate the optitex cloth, then freeze it (or whatever you do to make it an animation), and then save that animation as a DUF file.

Also,... If there was a version of Daz Studio, and Carrara which you were happy with, and could use to get dynamic clothing into carrara,. then why not re install those programs, and use them just for that purpose, or until the issues with dynamic cloth between Carrara and DS are resolved.

That's why I always beat the, "it's a beta," drum. I also never rush out and get the latest and greatest version of a software I'm relying on until I have a chance to read about it, and evaluate how it fits my needs, what the bugs are, how it effects other software in my pipeline, etc,. If I do decide to upgrade I always try and do a separate install if the installer/updater allows it. Heck, I still have C5 on my machine and Bryce 5.

edited February 2013

ManStan said:

One and only one reason $

And yes, I would much rather do poser like dynamic clothing in carrara, but I don't see that ever happening. I have to work with the tools available.

Poser 8 is $19.25 on Amazon and Poser 9 about $50 more. You can clothify lots of things besides what is available that's dynamic and use the free python plugin to export the animation to Carrara.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

Mostly on-topic, but I figured people here in this thread would know...

Is there a list / link somewhere to the main plug-in vendors for Carrara?

edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:

Check my sig... I try to keep an up-to-date list in the sidebar of my website...
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:

Check my sig... I try to keep an up-to-date list in the sidebar of my website...Really like your site Holly. It's one of my Home pages that comes up when I open my browser ;)
    edited February 2013

JonnyRay said:

Check my sig... I try to keep an up-to-date list in the sidebar of my website...
    Really like your site Holly. It's one of my Home pages that comes up when I open my browser ;)

Thank you... :red: then I should be updating it more...

I wish I could quit my job and just do Carrara stuff all day long...

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Believe me I have tried both. Quite a few times. I have the same problem with DUF now as I had when collada got updated and broke it. I tried to roleback/reinstall but it didn't fix it. My only chance now is for carrara to get dynamic with it's clothing, but I think I stand a better chance of learning Blender.