Keeping the size down

vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
edited December 1969 in New Users

I find if I save an installment (for example a dress) in a new directory and then attach it (Add a Base Directory) in Daz 4.5 Pro it works like any other figure.

After I have created the Poser Companion files and put then in the same directory I have now a self-sufficient directory that can be attached both in Daz and Poser. Works like a charm!

But to keep the size down as much as possible I would like to delete the original .duf file. Or is there some caveats to using the DSON generated .duf file to open inside Daz? Are the original and the new DSON .duf file exactly alike?

I don't want to build up a large external library of 10,50 or 100 GB and later find out that I have done something wrong (for example when I change computer).

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

As far as I can tell the "companion" .duf file will open correctly in DS if you double-click its Poser file.

• vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

Thank you. Yes I know that it opens but "the devil is in the details". I worry for some unpleasant surprise.

I'll do like this. I rename the old .duf file and add a unique word to its name, like hippotamus..

Then after a while, if nothing happens I can search out and delete every occurrence of superfluous .duf files.

"You know what a careful fellow I am".

edited February 2013

Quick report.
    For the first the .duf file in "Poser Formats" doesn't confirm automatically. For the second the material files are not close at hand you have to click your long and windy way to get to it. So it is not a good strategy. Aside of what else that may come up. So I guess we have to live with double storage even if it goes against my grain.

Post edited by vintorix on
    edited December 1969

Well, I've been putting the materials and so on as subfolders of the figure or prop folder - Poser 8+ is quite happy with that, and it keeps things together. You should be able to get autoconform to work if you drag the item from the library pane onto the figure - I don't think that's a fault in the .duf files, I think it's down to the Smart Content for the files, though it may still be a deal breaker for you.

edited December 1969

Autoconform is not that important but keeping clothes and their material together is. I find that if I put the Material folder in with the Poser Files it doesn't show up in DAZ. Or what am I doing wrong?

edited December 1969

If you move the folder from \Runtime\Libraries\Materials into the item's folder in \Runtime\Libraries\Character it should show and be usable (probably more so than in Poser, given that the process of creating companion files doen't produce custom Poser settings for materials).

edited December 1969

@If you move the folder from \Runtime\Libraries\Materials into the item’s folder in \Runtime\Libraries\Character it should show"

No it doesn't show up on my computer but no matter.

For about six months ago I found out how to use external runtime directories from Daz and it was a great breakthrough but still you had to have separate runtimes for Daz and Poser.

Now, with DSON you can have the same runtime directories for both Daz and Poser and you don't have to have much imagination to understand the huge implications. For the first time you can manage thousands of figures and props without having problems moving them to another computer.

In other word you can keep your sanity! Always an advantage IMO.