Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    Classic Deco by Jack Tomalin, despite this item being new and having Poser installers the item doesn't show up in the Install Manager when ds is unchecked, I really don't want all the extra ds files in a poser runtime. Will there be separate zips for each software and platform or will it all be dumped into just one zip

Which will make those of us who are using DS and Poser unhappy. I love having all files in one runtime.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    adzan said:
    Classic Deco by Jack Tomalin, despite this item being new and having Poser installers the item doesn't show up in the Install Manager when ds is unchecked, I really don't want all the extra ds files in a poser runtime. Will there be separate zips for each software and platform or will it all be dumped into just one zip

Which will make those of us who are using DS and Poser unhappy. I love having all files in one runtime.

In which case DIM is perfect for you, but I have many runtimes and keep poser and ds items separate
    so One huge zip would be a nightmare for those people installing from the zip and not using the DIM thing.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Ehm .. just an idea ... I am using "Everything" and just putting in the file extension to search will give you all files with that extension ... delete, poooof, gone.
    I am doing that for .rsr after using Dizzi's rsr convertor, for example.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    edited December 1969

adzan said:

The zip available in your downloads, open it and see if the Poser files were included by mistake.

Where products were released with Poser and DS installers, there should be separate DIM zips as well.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

adzan said:

The zip available in your downloads, open it and see if the Poser files were included by mistake.

Where products were released with Poser and DS installers, there should be separate DIM zips as well.

Checking everything in filters gives me only one file for Classic Deco and it is DS for Studio. The textures have one for Studio and one for Poser which is strange. It looks like a PS installer may be missing.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    adzan said:

Checking everything in filters gives me only one file for Classic Deco and it is DS for Studio. The textures have one for Studio and one for Poser which is strange. It looks like a PS installer may be missing.

Report it in Mantis please.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,732
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Question:

How do you hide more than one file at a time?

I have selected 275 PoserCF files in my downloads and want to hide them. I can only, as far as I can tell, hide them one by one. I never need to download these.

Edit: Figured out I don't need to for these...I think I can do this through filters. But I'd still like to know if it's possible.

If I check multiple items and right click on one I have Hide Download(s)>All selected as an option.

HideAllSel.jpg
    592 x 556 - 50K
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    adzan said:

Report it in Mantis please.

Added a Note to 0049250

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Question:

How do you hide more than one file at a time?

I have selected 275 PoserCF files in my downloads and want to hide them. I can only, as far as I can tell, hide them one by one. I never need to download these.

Edit: Figured out I don't need to for these...I think I can do this through filters. But I'd still like to know if it's possible.

If I check multiple items and right click on one I have Hide Download(s)>All selected as an option.

Doh. Right Click. I was using the arrow on the right side. I knew that. Sheesh.

::blush::

Thank you.

• ehigginsehiggins Posts: 13
    edited February 2013

Having a slight problem. Here is the scenario (with attached screen):

- Uninstalled everything (Daz Studio and content),
    - Installed Daz Studio and then content manager,
    - Downloaded all content through manager to default location,
    - Opened Daz Studio, added new "public" default paths to Content DB,
    - Get a number of "exclamation" points that appear to be pointing to the wrong paths,
    - HELP:

(screenshot shows exclamation points, the folder they are pointing to in error and the fact the data exists in new "public" folder)

Untitled.png
    559 x 704 - 94K
    Post edited by ehiggins on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If you uninstalled everything form My Library, then did you remove the reference to the My Library folder for BOTH DAZ Stuio Formats and Poser Formats? It seems to be looking in the My Library/Runtime folder

edited December 1969

Did you reset the database after you reinstalled?

• ehigginsehiggins Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Thanks both of you for your replies.

I just did a content library->reset database, and then reimported the metadata. That did the trick. Can you explain why? I'm a little new and like to understand the reasons why.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,543
    edited December 1969

Anyone have any clue how long it would be to uninstall about 30GB worth of stuff (many without uninstallers) and then reinstall it back?

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

Anyone have any clue how long it would be to uninstall about 30GB worth of stuff (many without uninstallers) and then reinstall it back?

Why would you want to do that?
    I wouldn't want to do that, at least not before I made a back-up from everything and even then..... But then again, I don't use the installer for installing, just for downloading and keep installing manually.

Love, Jeanne :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Yesterday when I changed my mind and decided to have it install to "My Library" I had to uninstall about 17 gigs from the new Content location and that was about 30 minutes, so I would say about an hour for 30 gigs. It did seem to hang for about a minute when it first started the process and then after that it was amazing how fast it worked at uninstalling like 800 products.

edited December 1969

JeanneM said:

I wouldn't want to do that, at least not before I made a back-up from everything and even then..... But then again, I don't use the installer for installing, just for downloading and keep installing manually.

I don't want to but everything say you need to to have it work the way it is intended. I don't want a new runtime with duplicate files someplace else so the only option is to replace it all.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Yesterday when I changed my mind and decided to have it install to "My Library" I had to uninstall about 17 gigs from the new Content location and that was about 30 minutes, so I would say about an hour for 30 gigs. It did seem to hang for about a minute when it first started the process and then after that it was amazing how fast it worked at uninstalling like 800 products.

That is just using the new installer. I am wondering about the old installers that they want you to use so you can install stuff into My Library.

edited December 1969

Not sure what your referring to. The older installers are in zip format now as well. DIM doesn't instal the exe's.

edited December 1969

Right, but you need to unistall, using the old installers, before you can use the DIM installers.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:

Actually, I too am wanting to wipe out everything and start clean. My DAZ install continually crashes on me (MAC OSx version) and I have a ton of content (DAZ and 3rd party) so I figured that if I started clean (again) and first only use the DIM then start adding in my 3rd party stuff one by one, then I would be able to pinpoint what is causing my DAZ to crash. Maybe.

So I have made backups of everything but am still hesitant to do anything since I am in the middle of two projects and would rather finish them first.

edited December 1969

Not sure what to suggest. If your Content area is only filled with content from the exe installers and you don't have any of the uninstallers then just drag and drop the whole mess into the trash. If you have a mix of stuff from other places besides DAZ3D then your kinda screwed as I am. that's why I chose to install OVER the top of the old, which was apparently safe to do.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Not sure what to suggest. If your Content area is only filled with content from the exe installers and you don't have any of the uninstallers then just drag and drop the whole mess into the trash. If you have a mix of stuff from other places besides DAZ3D then your kinda screwed as I am. that's why I chose to install OVER the top of the old, which was apparently safe to do.

So when you used the DIM to install all new content/updates to your current library you didn't experience any problems or conflicts? What about your 3rd party Runtimes? Some people are reporting duplicate entries afterwards.

edited December 1969

I only had ONE issue with Dup ID's and it was from a freebie. If you look in the log file towards the bottom you will find the path written out so you can go either investigate and fix it or pull out the offending file or folder with files and load up another Genesis and see if it's back to loading up normally.

edited February 2013

Right, but you need to unistall, using the old installers, before you can use the DIM installers.

I get where you're coming from. I was in the same boat.

I had a mix of content in My Library (not counting non-daz stuff) most with uninstallers but some without. I wanted to clean it up as much as possible before installing stuff with the DIM.

I had 620 uninstallers. Ran each one. I could do only about 2/minute Ended up taking about 5 hours with a couple breaks in between and setting up the DIM to download stuff simultaneously.

I wiped the database (reset), uninstalled the CMS, uninstalled and reinstalled Studio 4.5 so My Library was clean from that end.

Following that? So I thought I had minimum things to worry about and told the DIM to install all the DSON and other 4.5 content I had identified which was over 800 items.

Well, I had done something wrong because the DIM installed to its My DAZ Library location instead.

Which, I think, was the best thing that could have happened. I merely attached My DAZ Library to Studio and moved it to the top of the list. I detached the My Library.

Studio 4.5 runs better than ever. The Smart Content is better than it has ever been though not perfect.

As for My Library, I had uninstalled most of the files so the size is only about 10 gigs. And I can take my time cleaning it out and identifying what may be missing as I install the non-DAZ items to the My DAZ Library folder.

Hope this helps.

Edited typos and some timing clarification.

Post edited by Spit on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I'm nearing the end of running about 500 uninstallers in order to prepare for DIM. If you're thinking about doing the same with your content, you may wish to consider the "drag and drop in the trash" method RAMWolff mentioned. Especially if you have a lot more content than I do. The non-DAZ content is definitely something to consider though.

edited December 1969

Well, since I will be starting over, I think what I am gonna try to do is wipe everything out. Start fresh, and then recopy all of my 3rd party back in. Since it will be a clean Library I should be able to say no to any overwrite warnings. Maybe.

Does anyone know if there is a good way to re-organize the Content Library once I have my Runtimes back in? I would love for it to be organized more like Smart Panel where I can choose clothing and only see that instead of combing through hundreds of folders.

edited December 1969

Thanks. I have non DAZ content mixed in with DAZ and have it working well so I am not sure if I am going to do anything. Glad to know you can install over things without too many errors though. The whole uninstall (or reinstall to uninstall to reinstall) thing was looking like a horrid prospect.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited February 2013

Here is a hybrid method to re-install your DAZ stuff without break your current working setup. It works best for people who not moved the installed files from they default location and those which have the product's uninstallers. If you use metadata to organize your stuff, export the User data using the Content Database Maintenance. Make a copy of your metadata folder located at your actual main Runtime:Support to any safe location.

1) Create a new empty content folder at any place where you want.

2) Set up this new folder as an installation directory in DIM.

3) Map the new content folder in DS using the Content Directory Manager and put it at the top of the list.

4) Download the products which you want re-install unchecking the "Install After Download" option in DIM's Ready to Install panel.

5) Go to Uninstallers folder in your old content directory and uninstall any product which you want re-install using DIM.

6) Re-install the product using DIM.

7) Repeat with every each product which you want re-install

This allows me to continue my work without breaking my current workflow. This process is working very well to me. I hope it works for someone of you.

Notes:
    - You can use your current working directory to re-install your stuff using this method, but as we know, some uninstallers are faulty and did not delete all previously installed files.
    - Install a product over a previous installation is not a good idea because you will mess old and new files which sometimes have different names at all. A clean folder assures that you will get the most recent files and they are not messed with residual files. Most recent files are not necessarily better than older... some older metadata files works while some new are faulty. One more reason to make a copy of previous metadata. You can replace a damaged metadata file with one from your backup.
    - Some products have a different name when installed by DIM, so some metadata customization can be lost in the process. You will need fix this manually merging the new .dsx file with that one customized in a text editor (you made a backup, remember), or re-customizing it in the Content DB Editor.

Post edited by MBusch on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited February 2013

Update on my process:

1. I uninstalled the CMS and DAZ Studio.
    2. I ran all the content uninstallers I had. I left other content alone, including non-DAZ content and the few things I didn't have uninstallers for.
    3. I reinstalled DS4.5
    3. I ran DIM and installed everything to DIM's default location. It took less than four hours to download and install 476 items!
    4. I added the new "My DAZ Library" location to mapped directories within the Content Database Manager, accessible through the Active Pane Menu icon on the Content Library pane.
    5. I clicked that icon again and selected "Content Database Management," then re-imported all metadata and removed orphaned file references

At this point, in Smart Content, I could see a bunch of functional icons and a bunch with those exclamation-point-in-a-yellow-triangle error icons.

6. I went back to the Content Database Manager and removed the old "My Library" mapped location

Now Smart Content was working fine...but of course, the non-DAZ stuff I had kept was no longer accessible through the Content Library.

7. I added the old "My Library" location again (in the Content Database Manager).

Now everything seemed right with the world. This is perhaps not the most elegant solution...but it does appear to work, at least for me.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on