Where is the right place for shader packs?

WolpiWolpi Posts: 323
edited December 1969 in New Users

As I unpacked a shader pack there was one content folder outside the runtime folder with the following files. Where do I put them?

shader_pack.jpg
440 x 200 - 24K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Can you explain a bit further. Are you saying that there was a Runtime folder AND a Content folder inside a ZIP file? What shader pack is this?

Does the Runtime folder only contain Textures?

Shaders are usually installed to the My Library folder : in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Shaders. If you put them in there, you should be able to find them inside DAZ Studio Formats > My Library > Shaders.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It looks like the Ultimate Shader pack by Georgehaze....and yes, the folder in the runtime folder should be the textures.

The rest can go just about anywhere...but the folder JimmyC mentioned is the best place to put them.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

In this case though I suspect those are presets of shaders not shaders themselves (picky I know but it is more relevant when you add the shader mixer shaders). If they are they would go in the shader preset file.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    In this case though I suspect those are presets of shaders not shaders themselves (picky I know but it is more relevant when you add the shader mixer shaders). If they are they would go in the shader preset file.

True...they are just presets.

It's almost too late to change it now, the shader/preset confusion is too deeply engrained in the DS user base (heck, there's lots of PAs that don't get it right...).

• WolpiWolpi Posts: 323
    edited January 2013

Thank you all! There was no Library/shader folder (only "/shader presets"), so I created it myself.

Yes, it's the "georgehaze_ultimate-shader-pack-for-daz-studio_66943"

Now there are jpg maps (gold, silver, glass ...) in the Runtime/Texture folder and
    png / ASCII files in the DAZ Studio Formats > My Library > Shaders folder

What do I have to do now step by step with my object (let's say a golden ring), that appears grey and matt?

Post edited by Wolpi on
    edited December 1969

To apply shaders, any shaders, you have to select the item in the Scene pane AND select the texture in the Surfaces pane. Make sure that you have both selected, then double click on the one you want to use.

Thes shaders are actually Presets, and probably should have gone into the Shader Presets folder, but they will still be seen by DS where they are now. Try them out to see if they work. You should find them in DAZ Studio Formats > My Library > Shaders in the Content Library pane.

• WolpiWolpi Posts: 323
    edited January 2013

I had an acceptable result just with a texture file before. But I think it could be better together with the shader presets.

OK, I load a map for DIFFUSE COLOUR. But in order to make it glossy, do I have to load further maps and push some of these controlers?

surfaces.jpg
    446 x 542 - 36K
    Post edited by Wolpi on
    edited January 2013

The shader preset should load everything that it needs to make the surface look the way it is supposed to. You will not see the full effect of the Shader in the viewport, you have to render to see that, and you must use the 3Deloght renderer (option 4 in Render Settings

You can adjust the various settings in the Surfaces pane by turning up the Glossiness, and changing the specular colour and Ambient colour etc etc. The lighting that you use can also affect what the shader looks like.

EDIT:
    Are you asking about creating you own textures now? The diffuse map will be the main one to load, but you would also think about using Bump or Displacement with wood. You can also load a Specular map which will highlight the areas that you want to shine abit more.

You shouldn't have to load your own textures with the Shaders that you have bought though, unless you really know what you are doing.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on