Studio 4.8 Update

It would be nice if DAZ3D issued an update for Studio 4.8 that included the new nVidia cards. That way we could use Iray on new systems while also avoiding the DRM kerfuffle, content reshuffling donnybrook, and other brouhahas of Studio 4.9. There are enough of us who still use 4.8 to warrant such an update.

It won't happen.

But a boy can dream.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited March 2017

...I still use 4.8 for all my serious work.  As I am stuck in the Iray CPU mode slow lane (since I have an old GTX 460 with only 1 GB Memory) little point in going to 4.9.

I did install the latest 4.9 Beta just to see if there was any speed improvement with the newer update of Iray, but it is pretty much negligable.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

It would be nice if DAZ3D issued an update for Studio 4.8 that included the new nVidia cards. That way we could use Iray on new systems while also avoiding the DRM kerfuffle, content reshuffling donnybrook, and other brouhahas of Studio 4.9. There are enough of us who still use 4.8 to warrant such an update.

It won't happen.

But a boy can dream.

According to DAZ, there is an update, it's called 4.9. wink

• i ignore the DRM by ignoring the delivery method (DAZ Connect), which is the part of 4.9 that asks you to log in. Like I said on dA, if you don't log in and tell the little dialog that pops up you don't want to see it again, you probably won't even notice the difference other than it supporting your newer card.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

You can use 4.9 and not use Connect. What daywalker03 says ;).

Laurie

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    AllenArt said:

You can use 4.9 and not use Connect. What daywalker03 says ;).

Laurie

Yep, same here. I held off on 4.9 for the longest time and then one day i had an issue with 4.8 and put in a support ticket. I was told they can only support the latest version of DS and I needed to upgrade. I had my fears also, but since I don't use DIM, smart content or connect, I haven't noticed anything that different from 4.8

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I don't use it either ;). I don't even realize it's there.

Laurie

...not having issues with 4.8 here so don't see a reason to switch.  Working with the Beta, for my purposes I really didn't much of any improvement.

Now if they added something like an "open" cloth dynamics engine or the ability to convert Iray materials to 3DL, I'd update.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

4.9 got much faster with iray CPU only and preview mode too.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I use 4.8 but after an update to Windows 10 and a new faster graphics card, I can't use Iray any more. I have to use CPU to render Iray which is a lot slower.

My son informed me that the required Iray library for the newer Nvidia card is only present in 4.9.

I have 4.9 installed on another drive which I now have to use to render Iray scenes.

edited March 2017

..I didn't notice much of a difference,  I did a test in both 4.8 and the latest beta of 4.9 (that came out after the supposed stable version of 4.9) with the same scene and lighting. and it shaved off a couple minutes at best. Not enough for the larger scenes I do. 

I am unable to work in Iray preview mode as I only have a 1 GB GPU card and 12 GB of memory (well actually only 10.7 GB after Windows and system utilities).   Refresh is glacially slow and a short while afterwards, Daz crashes to the desktop. Seems like I'm hitting a memory leak somewhere.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800

I have been very sceptical towards 4.9 and DRM, but I've changed my mind. You can completley ignore all that DAZ Connect stuff and keep on working the way you are used to. Log in on start up DS or don't. load from "My Librarie". So, don't be afraid of 4.9. all goood ;-)

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

I'd happily upgrade to 4.9 if they would only put back the Blue Highlight (or something equivalant) so I can catagorise all my content (including 3rd Party and freebies) easily. Not planning to use Connect mainly because it would mean recatagorising everything again (had to do that when I moved over to DIM, never again) and I don't like Smart Content.

..same here as I have a custom runtime setup and use both Hexagon and Carrara so I do not want any content I purchase being just proprietary to Daz.