This is the story all about how my mesh got flipped turned upside down.

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

So I was working on a mesh extruding from a plane when part way through I realized the plane I was working on was upside down, so the inside of the mesh is actually the outside and vice versa.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It is difficult to know what you mean here?

What program are you using - Hexagon? Something else.

Can you post an image showing what the problem is?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Yeah I'm using Hex.

Basically I started with a plane and began extruding to create an outfit but then I realized when I went to use the inflate tool I must have flipped my original plane around because inflate pushes the mesh inwards instead of outwards. I can compensate with the shift key but is an inverted mesh going to create problems further down the line, like when I UV map it.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I'm still not clear here. There is no Plane primitive in Hex, what exactly did you use?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited January 2013

The grid. I started with a 2x2 grid and went from there.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
  • RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

I just did a little experiment in hexagon. When you create the grid, check out which way your normals are facing. The direction of the normals determine whether the inflate tool is concave vs convex. So in your case you need to orient your normals facing outward.

p.s. That title is what grabbed my attention. :lol:

Post edited by Romancefantasy on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I'm not quite sure how to do it in Hex, but you need to orient all the normals the same direction. In Blender it's easy, just select the faces that are inverted and 'flip normals'...there should be something similar in Hex.

• RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In Hexagon under utilities there is the orient normals tool. You can select individual faces or select all and then use the spacebar to flip the normals.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

In Hexagon under utilities there is the orient normals tool. You can select individual faces or select all and then use the spacebar to flip the normals.

I don't use Hex enough to know where it was...but I was sure it had to have one...almost any modelling app of recent vintage will have that tool.