Genesis Generation Confusion

AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
edited March 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi Folks,

up to yesterday I thought I knew about the different Genesis generations.

So today I purchased the David 5 Pro Bundle. It includes the so called anatomical details. And the mesh perfectly fits to the Genesis Base Male, too. All the presets for David 5 are located under People/Genesis. So far - my world seemed to be OK. Everthing fine!
That way I hoped to get the gens for Genesis 1.
For the anatomical details there are several material presets all beginning with "M5 Philipp ...".

Philipp ? - Just a moment. I know it. But not under Gensis 1 <-> M5 (??)

But now the confusion begins.

All "M5 Philipp ..." textures are found under "Genesis 2/Base Male".
I ever understood: Genesis 2 corresponds to M6; Genesis (1) corresponds to M5.

And why is the Genesis 1 texture called "M4 Jeremy ..." ? OK, it uses the Michael4 UV. But where are the gens textures for Jeremy?
Michael4 which I own too, has got his own gens textures not fitting to Jeremy. And although the used UV is "Default UV", as it is for David 5, the Michael4 gens textures have a totally different arrangement on the texture map on the Genesis 1 / David 5 gens.

Now my former peaceful (DAZ) world it completely broken.

My question:
Where to get the Jeremy gens texture from?
Isn't Jeremy an adult character?
All other adult characters have got the gens texture maps included.

Post edited by AndyS on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited March 2017

The default UV sets for the Genesis 2 figures are the Victoria 5/Michael 5 sets, and so the dfeault maps use those.

Whether a particular character set includes texturs for the anatomical elements is up to the PA - presumably whoever made Jeremy chose not to include any.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited March 2017

What?

Genesis 2 is Michael 5 ? As you see: David 5 is Gensis 1

And what generation belongs Michael 6 to?

Post edited by AndyS on
  • AndyS said:

What?

Genesis 2 is Michael 5 ? As you see: David 5 is Gensis 1

And what generation belongs Michael 6 to?

Not quite - Genesis 2 Male just has the Michael 5 UV Set (the way the textures wrap around the mesh).

edited March 2017

No problem with this. Doesn't matter which UV it uses, as long as Michael 5 is genesis 1. Please see the producht description: https://www.daz3d.com/michael-5

All characters with #5 are Genesis 1.
    Those with #6 are Genesis 2 and #7 belongs to Genesis 3. Genesis 2 uses the Base Male UV in general.
    You see: https://www.daz3d.com/michael-7 Michael 7 is Genesis 3.

That's what it looked in general. OK, within one generation they use very different UVs. As you said, the UV only descibes how the texture fits to the mesh. No problem with this.

But as soon a character with #5 in the name belongs to a "wrong" Genesis generation - that's confusion total.

Or is it a mistake in David5 that the M5Philipp presets are under Genesis1?

So: where is the correct gens texture for the Genesis 1 base character?

Genesis Gen Materials.jpg
    364 x 823 - 77K
    Post edited by AndyS on
  • Michael 5 is a Genesis character, but the Michael 5 maps will work on Genesis 2 Male (without needing an add-on).

Yes, as long as the character is able to use the corresponding UV.

But the point is, that the M5Philipp textures are expected in the Genesis 1 texture path.
    This don't work, cause the textures are located in the Genesis 2 path.

You see in the attachment above, M5Philipp is called from the Genesis 1 preset path, although it is only valid for use with Genesis 2, as you confirmed in your posts.

Richard, you stated it's not known, who created Jeremy?
    It is DAZ itself !!  --> https://www.daz3d.com/m4-elite-texture-jeremy

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited March 2017

The maps would work with either figure - the changed surface names might stop the presets from working though.

I didn't state that - I hadn't in fact recalled that Jeremy was one of the Elite series. In any event, that means that Daz owns the right to the set. If you look at the linked page you will see that Yanneck is credited too, and that was the texture artist as I recall. Jeremey is in fact for Michael 4, not for Genesis (though, as with Michael 5 UVs for Genesis 2 Male, Genesis has the Micael 4 UVs and the default male maps use them as I recall). Jeremy does have textures for the Michael 4 anatomical elements - I don't know whether those should work on the Genesis versions, nor if they do how well they would join given the difference betweej GeoGraft and plain conformer.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited March 2017

Yep,

the textures are very different comparing M4 and M5Philipp.
    So the gens, which fit perfectly to the Genesis1 male mesh, can only be covered with the M5Philipp textures (or of cause David5, they came with).
    But although normally Genesis1 should be Michael5, I can't find any way to set a Michael5 UV for the Genesis1 character. You see in the Micheal5 character product "Compatible Figure: Genesis (1)". But why isn't the M5 UV available within the Genesis?

You may have a look at the product "Michael 5 Elite Skin Texture Dave"
    It is stated, that the texture fits to Michael5 as well as to Genesis.
    So the skin textures use the M5 UV, how should this fit to Genesis as Genesis don't have the M5 UV ?

I suppose: whether to get a Jeremy gens texture, which I for sure can change to fit on the david gens
    or
    getting a M5 UV to be applied to the Genesis1 Base Male.

This confusion is really frustrating.

Post edited by AndyS on
  • The Michael 5 uv set for Genesis is part of Michael 5 - if you don't have that you don't have the uv set.

But Gensis 2 has a Michael5-UV dsf in its data path.
    Usable?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,933
    AndyS said:

But Gensis 2 has a Michael5-UV dsf in its data path.
    Usable?

No. That is M5 UVs for the Genesis 2 mesh, not for the Genesis mesh.

• That is for Genesis 2, where it is (or better be) working. You were talking about Genesis. UV sets are even more fussy about the mesh matching than morphs, you can't use the G2M UV set on Genesis 1.

edited March 2017

Yes, I saw.
    Had a look into it.

So one would need this?

Post edited by AndyS on
  • No, for the Michael 5 UVs you would need Michael 5 for Genesis.

edited March 2017

I don't like the skin.
    No use for it, cause I already have M5Philipp (see above).

Only need the M5 UV !

Post edited by AndyS on
  • AndyS said:

I don't like the skin.
    No use for it, cause I already have M5Philipp (see above).

Only need the M5 UV !

I'm afraid your options are buy the Michael 5 character or make your own UV set using a UV mapping application.

But Richard,

it is ever the same with you, the DAZ company:

Why should your customers buy components, they already purchased earlier, once again?

• If you already purchased Michael 5 then you have the UV set - make sure it is installed the character. If not then you haven't already purchased, transfering a UV set to a new figure is a considerable amount of work and amounts to a new product.