DS4 - turning right click context menu off and DS3 database question

edited January 2013 in New Users

Hi,
hopefully there is an option to do that and that I just missed it, but here goes:

The main thing that keeps me from switching over from DS3 to DS4 is, that in 3 I often used the "right click to reset value" function, when moving dials, but in DS4 it always opens a context menu. Where can I turn that off?
Explanation: For example I want to rotate something, so i leftclick on the rotate dial, drag to move it, then realize I don't like it and want to reset by simply clicking the right mouse button (without ever releasing the left click)

The other thing: My DS3 has some issue with the "finding new content" function. It simply takes forever. Any idea if that just is an issue with my system, or if there is some kind to solve that?
In the past it was pretty fast, if i put new stuff in the runtime library, searched for new content and had everything in the unassigned folder afterwards. Now it takes hours to find new content.

Oh and one more thing: Can i just install DS4.5 over DS4 or do i have to uninstall, install, configure everything again?

Post edited by statistx_42556c1853 on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The main thing that keeps me from switching over from DS3 to DS4 is, that in 3 I often used the “right click to reset value” function, when moving dials, but in DS4 it always opens a context menu. Where can I turn that off?

You can't turn an entire menu option off. If is use the LMB on a dial, and before releasing it, I use the right-click, the slider reverts to the value it was set at before. I am using DS 4.5.1.6. To zero any slider, use the Alt+LMB anywhere in the slider control area.

Oh and one more thing: Can i just install DS4.5 over DS4 or do i have to uninstall, install, configure everything again?

The installer for DS 4.5 will uninstall DS4 for you. You can't have both versions on the same machine. You can still keep DS3 of course, and it can co-exist with DS 4.5.

I don't know about your search for content problems, I don;t use categories at all, so I will let someone else answer that one for you. The quickest way to have content installed, is to use the Edit > Preferences, and list the folder there. If the folder is already there, then Exit form DS3, and restart it again, and the content should be there.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the fast answer.

You can't turn an entire menu option off. If is use the LMB on a dial, and before releasing it, I use the right-click, the slider reverts to the value it was set at before. I am using DS 4.5.1.6. To zero any slider, use the Alt+LMB anywhere in the slider control area.

Good tip with the Alt+LMB, didn't know that, but the other thing is exactly what you say: I right click to set the slider back to the last value, but in DS4 it also opens a context menu, which it didn't in DS3. That's what I meant.

The installer for DS 4.5 will uninstall DS4 for you. You can't have both versions on the same machine. You can still keep DS3 of course, and it can co-exist with DS 4.5.

Cool, then nothing keeps me from using 4.5 at least.

I don't know about your search for content problems, I don;t use categories at all, so I will let someone else answer that one for you. The quickest way to have content installed, is to use the Edit > Preferences, and list the folder there. If the folder is already there, then Exit form DS3, and restart it again, and the content should be there.

Gonna wait for someone else like you said, cause with content folders it doesn't work like that (at least on my DS3?). I have to click "Search for content.." or do that at the start of the program, so it shows up in the unassigned category. Sure it would be in the folder view, but I don't like that one, cause the folders are a mess ^^

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

When you search for content, is the "New Items Only" box checked?

• edited December 1969

When you search for content, is the "New Items Only" box checked?

There is no option on the window. It says "Would you like to scan for new content to add to the database? This may take some time, depending on the number of files to be added" - Yes, No and a checkbox for "Do not show this dialog when opening the category view"

It's not depending on the number of files either. I can just add 1 new file and it still takes ages.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I missed that this is in DS3. What's the exact version (e.g. 3.1.2.32)?

• edited December 1969

Yep, version 3.1.2.32

edited December 1969

What the scan does, is to search all Mapped Directories for content. I suppose it then has to check if each item is already listed or not, and if you have a lot of mapped directories, that would take a lot of time.

Do you have the Automatically Refresh Folders option checked in Edit > Preferences?

I have, and I never need to search for new content, it is added automatically.

Untitled-2.jpg
    580 x 466 - 119K
  • edited December 1969

I have that checked, but the categories still need searching it seems.
    Maybe if I'd work with the folders alone it would add everything, but I much prefer the categories, since as said, the folders are very unorganized and replacing everything would be too much work.

After reading all your suggestions, I guess I just have to deal with it, since it may seem that I just have too many folders.
    I'd wish there was some DS3 feature to just easily remove whole packages of items, instead of going into each folder and searching for everything i need to delete

edited December 1969

The only way I know of is to use an uninstaller. If you didn't create one with the first install, then you can reinstall the item, and this time ask for an uninstaller, and use it.

It is a bit of a rigmarole, but it does get rid of all traces of any particular item.

• edited December 1969

yeah, but sadly only for items from the Daz Homepage, not Renderosity, freebies and other sites

edited December 1969

Well, if you still have the ZIP files from these sties, you can look inside the file using WinZip or WinRar or simiar, and it will show you the directory structure, and you will be able to see what to uninstall.

There is no easy way that I know of, content has always been a pain really.

• edited December 1969

Well, if you still have the ZIP files from these sties, you can look inside the file using WinZip or WinRar or simiar, and it will show you the directory structure, and you will be able to see what to uninstall.

There is no easy way that I know of, content has always been a pain really.

I hear you, though I didn't save zip files. Guess I'm a lost cause ^^