Copy one joint?

Is it possible to copy one of Genesis' set of joint rigging (ie - the right forearm's twist, bend and side-side) to a piece of clothing for her?   We create a full rigging for our clothing from Genesis all the time so we should be able to copy a single joint to our clothing, right?  Is this in the weight node brush?  I can't see how to do it.

Comments

• If it is just meant to move with the bone make it a prop. Otherwise, as far as I know, you want to keep the bones that lead up to it and the bones immediately after to avoid oddities when posing.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,805

I think that I said this wrong...sorry.  I am referring to weight mapping.

I have a dress and have rigged it to my figure using the transfer utility.  I was tweaking some weight mapping on the clothing and ruined my weight mapping.  I didn't want to have to start over using the transfer utility and wondered if I could just copy Genesis' weight mapping for just that body group back onto the dress.

I hope that makes more sense.

• I don't think so, and I suspect my plan B (rig a fresh copy of the OBJ and copy the weight map from that) may also be unsupported - though it would be quick to test.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,805

All the other joints that I already tweaked would be lost.  There's something to be said for saving as you go, lol.

I do think that it would save creators a lot of mistakes...er, work...if one could simply copy the weight mapping from one joint.  Poser has it....whistles innocently....hmmm...so I'm sure that Daz could do it.

Thanks for trying to help Richard...appreciated.

• NGartplay said:

All the other joints that I already tweaked would be lost.  There's something to be said for saving as you go, lol.

I do think that it would save creators a lot of mistakes...er, work...if one could simply copy the weight mapping from one joint.  Poser has it....whistles innocently....hmmm...so I'm sure that Daz could do it.

Thanks for trying to help Richard...appreciated.

Did you actually try my "Plan B" suggestion? That would have two versions of the figure - the one you tweaked and the one you just did a Transfer Utlity on to get the basic maps, then (and this is the bit I am uncertain about) you copy the map you want to restore from the new version to the one with the undesired tweaks. That should leave all the other maps unchanged.

• OK, it does in fact work - up to a point. For simplicity (== laziness) I just used G3M and deliberately messed up the Left Forearm Bend bone. Then I selected my second G3M's matching bone, selected General Weights in Tool Settings, right-clicked and Copy Selected. Finally I went back to the mangled version, which still had the target map selected, right-clicked on it and chose Paste Selected. Obviously it isn't perfect - presumably I would need to restore some of the other maps manually or by copy/paste where my edits affected those due to normalisation - but ti should at least give a starting point.

WeightCopy 01 - mangled.JPG
    517 x 919 - 87K
    WeightCopy 02 - partially unmangled.JPG
    579 x 900 - 107K