Someone has developed a Character Preset to allow Carrara users to use Genesis 3 ?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
edited March 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I heard this today. Any other data on this welcome. 

edited as it was not a plugin but a character preset

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Andy.... be careful, evidently ToS are being violated now, sad to say...... I sent you a message!    heart Silene

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I wonder if this is really about TOS.

The facts surrounding this are pretty straightforward.  G7 is native to DS only.  Daz has not made the changes needed to import G7 into Carrara (or into anything else, for that matter).

This leads me to as a very basic question, as I am fairly new here.  Have you ever heard anyone from Daz express a desire to put G7 into Carrara?

I know, of course, that lots of Carrara people have asked for G7 capability.  But has an official Daz rep ever said something like "Yes, we would like to see G7 in Carrara."

Anybody?  I'm looking for a definitive statement, indicating such a desire.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

Unified- the TOS violation might simply be because this issue was raised recently in another thread, so bringing it up too often could be considered spamming. Just my assumption.

Even if statements have been made by Daz regarding G3 in Carrara (and indeed they statements have been made), there does not seem to be much desired outcome toward said ends. It's one of the reasons why I think they tend to avoid making statements about much of anything. So we end up being left in the dark quite often.

Like I try to tell everyone in these types of threads, there's no good in operating a thread on this kind of subject. The forums simply arent taken into account. You need to contatn Daz3d directly and ask them for a statement on where they currently stand on the issue. I have no idea if you will receive an answer but whatever you get it will be more useful than anything the forums will produce. Best of luck in this,because I too want G7 in Carrara. While a plug-in would be a game changer, we must also admit that we've gone this long without G7 in Carrara so it's hard to assume there is any sudden need to rush on a plan to make it compatible. Sure, it should happen, but history demonstrates that there's no apparent hurry.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited March 2017

on second thought, my response was off topic, sorry

Post edited by cdordoni on
    edited March 2017

Even if statements have been made by Daz regarding G3 in Carrara (and indeed they statements have been made),

All I ask is that you provide the statements.

I'm not being weird or sarcastic, or suggestive of anything other than exactly what I am asking (just to be clear).

Has a Daz official ever expressed a desire to see G7 in Carrara?

And Rashad, I've enjoyed reading many of your posts.

Like I try to tell everyone in these types of threads, there's no good in operating a thread on this kind of subject. The forums simply arent taken into account.

Except that you are missing my intent.  I am actually in agreement with you about "these type of threads," except this is NOT that type of thread.  At least this post is not.   I'm not trying to convince Daz of anything.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

There is a lot of speculation going on here, mostly unfounded speculation.

There is also a whole lot of trying to get round what you are seeing as the reason for recent actions,  completely misunderstanding the reason that those actions were taken.

What we do actually have here is a similar situation  as the one concerning VWD.   Once a proposed product is offered to another Commercial site, for whatever reason, then any threads promoting the development of said product automatically become Off Site Commercial threads and therefore are not allowed by the Daz Forum ToS. This is even more so when the thread, or threads, in question are actually fronted by the person or persons who are working on these WIP products.

This is not a new situation by any manner of means,  you only have to read the first (sticky) thread in the Commercial Forum to understand.   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16350/change-to-commercial-products-section

Chohole said:

There is a lot of speculation going on here, mostly unfounded speculation.

I hope that you are not referring to me.  I am asking a straightforward question, which should be answerable by information (maybe even common knowledge?) which has been posted on this forum in the past.  Because I am relatively new here, I simply don't know the answer., and I have never seen the specifics of it ever addressed.

I know that you have been here a very long time.  Can you help me?  Should I ask it in a different thread?

Chohole said:

There is also a whole lot of trying to get round what you are seeing as the reason for recent actions,  completely misunderstanding the reason that those actions were taken.

I also hope that you are not referring to me here, as I very much understand why the thread was deleted, and completely understand your reasoning.

I would also like to think that I understand forum boundaries, as I am a moderator elsewhere (as I have said, probably too many times).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

no Unfried brain, it is a few of us other older Carraraites Chohole is refering to!

I guessed it was for commercial reasons but there was a lot of information in that thread for other users to do it themselves too.

Lossing access to that was a real shame to put it mildly.

I actually asked Customer service about this TOS issue regarding third party content especially for Carrara as I still to this date have not bought Virtual World dynamics, was only very very interested and had a rather big discussion on it modded, sadly too many emails to filter out answer but basically can discus not link and not the vendor (I had no involvement whatsoever) so am rather hazy on exactly what the rules are.

The fact is we had Carrara Cafe for this reason, there is a lot of stuff for Carrara not in the DAZ store and as a software suite one normally expects third party plugins as it has a public SDK.

Fenric too ran into these issues.

My comment in this forum was actually on the sad fact Carrara Cafe is being constantly hacked for some reason, the possible hosting of the deleted thread was only a small part of this wider issue.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited March 2017

Hi Unified, I do remember a thread which copied/pasted some comments by daz employees some time back (and in a non-Carrara forum if I remember correctly) referencing that development was working towards integrating Genesis 3 into Carrara.  I realize that's hearsay and I don't remember where to go to find the exact quote, but hopefully someone else who is better at this than I am will post the actual quote and source.  Even so, I don't know if the comment meets the standard of expressing a company desire to achieve this, only that at one time the techs were working on it.

Unlike VWD, which was a must-have plugin for me, I have only a passing curiosity for this one (if it exists) because I don't think Genesis 3 is any great shakes (for my current needs Genesis1 is top stuff).  I'd be more interested in a plugin which fixed the geograft problems for Genesis.

Still, it's got me curious, is this a real thing?  Real life has intruded for me lately and it's been a little while since I've been able to be a forum regular, so I missed any other threads on this subject, have no idea what competing website would be hosting such a plugin (did a quick scan of Rendo since that's the most likely, but didn't see anything).

Post edited by Jonstark on

On the other hand, if such a plugin existed, even though I don't care much about V7 or M7, I'd still buy it, just in case and also to support whoever created it for any future related projects.

edited March 2017
    th3Digit said:

no Unfried brain,

Ha, it's probably more like "fried brain."smiley

Really clear post, thanks.

Jonstark said:

Hi Unified, I do remember a thread which copied/pasted some comments by daz employees some time back (and in a non-Carrara forum if I remember correctly) referencing that development was working towards integrating Genesis 3 into Carrara.  I realize that's hearsay and I don't remember where to go to find the exact quote, but hopefully someone else who is better at this than I am will post the actual quote and source.  Even so, I don't know if the comment meets the standard of expressing a company desire to achieve this, only that at one time the techs were working on it.

Thanks Jon.  I hope that something turns up.

Jonstark said:

Still, it's got me curious, is this a real thing?  Real life has intruded for me lately and it's been a little while since I've been able to be a forum regular

I have totally been missing your updates on the xeon machines.  Hope you fill us in soon.

I think the product is real, just not yet available.  I PM'd you.

oops typo but will leave as funny blush I just woke up 

OT 

My Mum fed me skinned fried crumbed brains as a toddler

(sheep not human)

She would not eat them

was told good for me by district nurse

glad I have no memories

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

hello jonstark     

The quoted forum thread you mentioned came out more than a year ago, but we could track it down and link to it if anyone is really interested in the exact statements.  The gist was that at that time Daz had developed one of the prerequisites for G3in Carrara (dual quat yada yada).  That had gone to private build Carrara testers.

make of it what you will  

My Mom was from Oklahoma, and raised on a farm.  As a kid, I semi-regularly ate fried pig brains.

Pig brains and eggs.

Not bad, actually.

When I was young, my mom made cow tongue and didn't tell us what it was.  It was actually delicious as I remember, but when we found out what it actually was, I was queasy and couldn't eat it anymore.  :)  I'm not made of stern enough stuff to try eating brains.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited March 2017

sorry I missed the original thread entirely, so I have no idea what it was about!

I'm just interested in whether we can use the latest Genesis  in carrara now?

thanks for the heads up Silene

Post edited by Headwax on

its a character preset not a plugin BTW

Diomede said:

The quoted forum thread you mentioned came out more than a year ago, but we could track it down and link to it if anyone is really interested in the exact statements. 

Yes, if you could please.  I qualify as "really interested."smiley

head wax said:

sorry I missed the original thread entirely, so I have no idea what it was about!

I'm just interested in whether we can use the latest Genesis  in carrara now?

thanks for the heads up Silene

A kind forum member pm'd me, it's not a released product anywhere yet, but there is discussion about it on another big Carrara forum elsewhere (can I say that much without getting in trouble?  Probably not)..  Rhymes with 'Mendo' or 'Shmendo'  or 'Lendo'   :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

thanks Johnstark, and Wendy. I have changed name of thread to reflect 'preset'.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/944221/#Comment_944221

"Jon isn't in a position to make "promises" on behalf of the Software Dev team. Jon [and "Rawb"—also known as "other Rob"] are Web Dev guys. The technical side of Daz Connect (i.e. figuring out how it will work, and then making it work) is a joint effort between the Web Dev and Software Dev teams, at the behest of executive management. The policy side of Daz Connect (i.e. deciding whether it exists at all, and when/what it is applied to) is up to Marketing and executive management.

Is Genesis 3 support being worked on for Carrara? Yes, it is. Will I give you a date on when a build that has Genesis 3 support is going to be publicly available? Sorry, I will not—not yet anyway.

I will say that support for dual quaternion skinning (a prerequisite for Genesis 3 support, and quite useful in its own right) has been implemented and has been with the Private Build testers for several weeks now. Feedback on the feature(s) thus far has been positive. I will also say that earlier this month the Private Build testers were asked what they thought about releasing a build with the dual quaternion skinning support. The responses we got basically boiled down to it not being enough to make much of a difference in the current climate. We [reluctantly] agree, and so decided to hold the feature until Genesis 3 support could be implemented.

And on that note, recently the Private Build testers were given a build that provides their first look at Genesis 3 support. Initial reactions have been positive, however there are a few things that we knew were not working correctly before we gave them the build. We are looking for [and getting] feedback from that team to help us suss out where the other problems are.

As for the question of Daz Connect support in Carrara... It is still a bit too early to commit. I know that is probably not what you want to read/hear, but that is all I can really say about it right now. There are still some things to be ironed out, and dealing with those things in two very complex applications at the same time—particularly with a team that runs on the lean side anyway—would be very unwise. Daz Studio is the proving grounds for Daz Connect integration.

-Rob"

Diomede said:

The quoted forum thread you mentioned came out more than a year ago, but we could track it down and link to it if anyone is really interested in the exact statements. 

Yes, if you could please.  I qualify as "really interested."smiley

edited March 2017

Diomede, I don't know how you find this stuff.  You the man!

I had read it before, but couldn't find it to verify the details I was looking for.

The specifics are not there, but every little bit of info helps.

That post was from November of 2015.

I've been mulling it over, and I think the fact that they were alpha testing it way back then, and still after all this time it still hasn't been released, seems to lend a lot of credence to the theory that it may very well not be a developer issue preventing it, but rather a purposeful marketing strategy which is preventing Genesis3 support from arriving in Carrara.  Just my crazy conspiracy theory 2 cents  :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2017

Why couldn't the moderator just remove the posts about offering it to someone else as DAZ's lack of response was prompting her to do that. If you are new to offering a product, they should send an auto response at least acknowledging that and stating what the review process would be. Of course they get scads of useless stuff, but an auto-reply would at least be encouraging to a future PA.

By just removing the TOS offending post(s), we could have had the previous pages of experimenting and training.

Oh well.... Misty does have videos.  ALL of them are here and include other work as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt5xaeQp8LPggXwhRX8O23w

indecision Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited March 2017
    Jonstark said:

I've been mulling it over, and I think the fact that they were alpha testing it way back then, and still after all this time it still hasn't been released, seems to lend a lot of credence to the theory that it may very well not be a developer issue preventing it, but rather a purposeful marketing strategy which is preventing Genesis3 support from arriving in Carrara.  Just my crazy conspiracy theory 2 cents  :)

And maybe you are just being logical. smiley

I'm a big Daz fan.  I love the content, and the way it is sold.  Daz administrators are logical folks, and I believe that they always have a strategy.

What has been baffling, of course, is the (seeming) illogic surrounding G3.  In the past, Daz has always been fairly quick to offer support for their newest character in Poser and Carrara.  But now both are shut out.  And if you add that Daz is not offering G3 to the Unity market (which they seem keen to crack), but rather G2 instead, then it becomes evident that something unusual is going on.

Logic tells us that getting G3 into other programs must simply be too hard and costly.  But new facts tell a different story.  Creative artists outside of Daz have made G3 available to Poser and to Unity, and now to Carrara.

How is this possible?  If small-time operators (no offense to them) could figure this out, then doesn't it seem logical that Daz could have done so as well?

I believe that it is at least conceivable that the whole thing is a marketing strategy connected to the Daz flagship product (DS), perhaps to strengthen the Daz "brand."  They may have decided to simply not market G3 outside of DS.  If so, there is no reason to offer marketing advice to get them to raise money for development, or to offer "I use tons of Daz content" threads to Daz as petitions for getting them to act.  Because, they are already acting in what they feel are their best long-term interests.

The good news is, they seem OK with the idea of unofficial 3rd party solutions for getting G3 into other programs.  So the newest character is still available, just not through Daz.

I admit that this is just speculation.  But it is the only explanation that makes sense to me.  That's why I have been looking for quotes for what has actually been said in the past.

edited March 2017

You can envision the head of dev coming to the meeting, announcing "Yeah no sweat, got G3 working perfectly in Carrara, easy-peasy, took only about 3 minutes of coding to do'" and the director of marketing glowering at him:  "you did what?!!, that's not part of the master plan to elevate Studio to the godlike heights of 'barely passable' and 'slightly laughable' whilst ignoring our other softwares that are far more capable!"  :)

Post edited by Jonstark on

I also suspect Carrara could see HD morphs too with  access to the API for them if enabled in studio but since studio users are denied the means to produce them, only Published Artists have such tools there is stuff going on we are not allowed to speculate on.

I have a bit of an inkling its all tied in somehow.

Poser can see them, there must be a reason Carrara cannot and as a modeler I think it would reveal too much that is being kept propiatory.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hd morphs have a different file extension.  in ds, i cant see what the mouth realism hd does.

just noticed today they haz the hangy glotis thing back of throat