PC Hardware recommendations?

wintoonswintoons Posts: 371
edited March 2017 in New Users

Hi guys,

I have a question, I've been using DazStudio for nearly a month and it is fantastic as to what you can do on it.

I bought an enviroment model, this one

https://www.daz3d.com/the-harpwood-trail-for-daz-studio

And its lovely but its sooooooooooooo big and my system gets really slow, even when I try to render it, it doesn't show up on the render screen.

I know its not the enviroment, my system is not the most state of the art. So I was wondering what systems specifications do others have for greater performance?

Mine is a

iCore 7 2600K 3.4Ghz
​16 Gig Ram DDR3
​Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
​SATA 3 Harddrive
​etc

Post edited by wintoons on

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

In Daz Studio your biggest performance gains come from your GPU.  The eaiest way to find your bottleneck here is with the scene open press "Ctrl"+"Shift"+"Esc" to bring up the task manager (in windows 10 click "More Details" at the bottom of the window), click on the "Performance" tab, then look at your CPU and GPU usage.  If one or both are at or near 100%, you have found which one needs upgrading.  If neither is, then your GPU is being over taxed.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371
    JamesJAB said:

In Daz Studio your biggest performance gains come from your GPU.  The eaiest way to find your bottleneck here is with the scene open press "Ctrl"+"Shift"+"Esc" to bring up the task manager (in windows 10 click "More Details" at the bottom of the window), click on the "Performance" tab, then look at your CPU and GPU usage.  If one or both are at or near 100%, you have found which one needs upgrading.  If neither is, then your GPU is being over taxed.

Thanks for the tip JamesJAB! :)

Question, I don't see my GPU usage only my CPU usage. How do I see my GPU usage?

You just need to guess.  If your scene is running a low frame rate and you have low cpu usage and your ram is not maxed out, then you are maxing out your GPU.

There are programs that you can run to actively monitor stuff like GPU usage, but I don't see the need.

JamesJAB said:

You just need to guess.  If your scene is running a low frame rate and you have low cpu usage and your ram is not maxed out, then you are maxing out your GPU.

There are programs that you can run to actively monitor stuff like GPU usage, but I don't see the need.

No problem thanks :)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited March 2017

This from the information for the product, (which I don't have)

• This product is memory intensive
      • For Iray renders you must have “Instancing Optimization” set to “Memory” or you risk overloading your system's memory capacity. This setting is built into the Render Settings Preset included in the set but can be found in the Render Settings Tab.
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

The Iray engine is designed to work with Nvidia graphics cards. Not totally sure it won't use AMD GPUs, but I think that's the case. If you don't have an Nvidia graphics card, I believe your renders will rely on CPU only and be very slow.

Also--I bought a rendering PC from a vendor who said renders used the GPUs for caculations only, and the actual scene would remain in main memory, so it would be better to go with multiple cheaper cards to get plenty of fast CUDA cores, and not worry so much about memory. WRONG! Iray has to load the entire scene's geometry into each graphics card it uses for rendering, so if the memory required to store your scene information exceeds a graphics card's memory, that card won't be used. So if you have four 3GB graphics cards in your system and your scene consumes 4GB, the render won't use your fancy graphics cards at all, and you'll get the same rendering speed you'd get on a lame computer with Intel graphics.

So: look for graphics cards with CUDA cores and the most memory you can afford.

Fishtales said:

This from the information for the product, (which I don't have)

• This product is memory intensive
      • For Iray renders you must have “Instancing Optimization” set to “Memory” or you risk overloading your system's memory capacity. This setting is built into the Render Settings Preset included in the set but can be found in the Render Settings Tab.

Inkubo said:

The Iray engine is designed to work with Nvidia graphics cards. Not totally sure it won't use AMD GPUs, but I think that's the case. If you don't have an Nvidia graphics card, I believe your renders will rely on CPU only and be very slow.

Also--I bought a rendering PC from a vendor who said renders used the GPUs for caculations only, and the actual scene would remain in main memory, so it would be better to go with multiple cheaper cards to get plenty of fast CUDA cores, and not worry so much about memory. WRONG! Iray has to load the entire scene's geometry into each graphics card it uses for rendering, so if the memory required to store your scene information exceeds a graphics card's memory, that card won't be used. So if you have four 3GB graphics cards in your system and your scene consumes 4GB, the render won't use your fancy graphics cards at all, and you'll get the same rendering speed you'd get on a lame computer with Intel graphics.

So: look for graphics cards with CUDA cores and the most memory you can afford.

Got it! Thanks! I'm thinking about getting the Geforce 1080 Ti. I read that its got alot of kick. 11GB and 3584 cuda cores.

wintoons said:
    Inkubo said:
    Got it! Thanks! I'm thinking about getting the Geforce 1080 Ti. I read that its got alot of kick. 11GB and 3584 cuda cores.

Yes!  If you have the money to spend on a 1080 Ti, that will be a huge perfomance boost compared to your current card

JamesJAB said:
    wintoons said:
    Inkubo said:

Yes!  If you have the money to spend on a 1080 Ti, that will be a huge perfomance boost compared to your current card

Yeah I got the 1050Ti because my last card (a GTX 560ti 1GB) died on me, so it was an emergency. frown 

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2017
    wintoons said:
    JamesJAB said:
    wintoons said:
    Inkubo said:

Yeah I got the 1050Ti because my last card (a GTX 560ti 1GB) died on me, so it was an emergency. frown 

If you go for a 1080ti,  make sure your power supply can handle it. The GPU requires 250 watts so I believe the reccomended minimum is a 600 watt PSU for the system as a whole.

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by alexhcowley on
    wintoons said:
    JamesJAB said:
    wintoons said:
    Inkubo said:

If you go for a 1080ti,  make sure your power supply can handle it. The GPU requires 250 watts so I believe the reccomended minimum is a 600 watt PSU for the system as a whole.

Cheers,

Alex.

Yeah I realised that before. I've got a 620 watt. So it should be ok.