Difference in rendering between i3 and i7

I know that the i3 will be slower than the i7 but... There is another disadvantage about using the i3 instead the i7?

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

No. 

• You may, of course, see a difference if one is slow enough that it times out before reaching the convergence target and the other doesn't, or does so but closer to the target.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Speaking only of processing speed, there are numerous instances where a faster processor will make a difference in rendering. Of course actual rendering is one of them, but so is scene collection, that process at the beginning of rendering before an image actually appears. This is done only with the CPU, so a faster one will shortnen rendering time. 

There are also non-rendering advantages, such as faster response times with the D|S user interface. 

To gain the most benefit, the i7 should be coupled with other speedy elements, such as plenty of fast RAM (12G to 16G isn;t a lot for some scenes), and maybe a solid state drive.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited March 2017

I would think it really depends on how many CPU cores your processor has in it  .  I seen i3 2.7Ghz intel processors with quad cores that as fast a i7 2.9GHz intel dual core, and  I also have read where the more cores the processor the fast it will be

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Thanks!

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

If you are running daz studio and the iray render engine, you will get a bigger performance boost from a fast Nvidia graphics card.  For example in iray you can set it to use cpu+gpu, gpu, or cpu. Someone posted a daz studio iray render scene using only starter essetials components and encouraged people to post theit results in the comments. http://www.sharecg.com/v/80002/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Starter-Essentials-Benchmark-Scene-For-Iray

One of the comments listed all three modes on a Core i7-5820K (6 core 3.6ghz) and Geforce GTX 970

CPU+GPU = 4min 31sec

GPU only = 4min 20sec (11 seconds faster that GPU+CPU)

CPU only = 24min 18sec

4x GTX 970 GPUs only clocking in at 1min 36sec

My setup: 2x Xeon X5570 quad core with a Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

GPU+CPU = 4min 4sec

GPU only = 4min 46sec

If you are on a budget of say $500 for your CPU + GPU you would be much better off proritizing toward the GPU

GTX 1070 = about $370 + AMD FX8320 4ghz 8 core  (this one will be consideraly faster rendering using GPU only)

GTX 1050 = about $109 + Core i7-5820k 3.3ghz 6 core (Despite the good cpu your iray rendering times will probably be above 10min for the benchmark)