Sending to Daz

texjonestexjones Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I just created a new object in HExagon, I watched the Gary Miller tutorials about applying Texture maps, and it's alot easier than I ever thought it would be. WOW. But...I did one street sign and exported it. and it's not saving the image the way I set it up. I got one sign to send to Daz exactly intact to the way I did it and was successfully able to save it as a prop. But when I tried to do a second one, naturally it got messed up, the image wouldn't go with the sign. And I don't know what I did right the first time and wrong the second time. And I try to re-apply the texture, the image is too big.

How do I send an object to Daz and make sure the texture maps are in place to how I set them up. Or even if I export as an object that the textures come back to how I did it in Hexagon.

When I watched Gary's tutorial, that gave me the idea to create a texture image so that one face had the main feature (the street name) while the other five were simply a blank metalic surface. It worked once, I don't know what I did. The second time it didn't work, I don't what I didn't. I got to get this figured out before I go onto more complex ideas.

Comments

• texjonestexjones Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think I got it. I re-opened the obj file in Hexagon and sent THAT to Daz and it went successfully. I believe that's how it's done..am I right?

• stoltenkamp.scottstoltenkamp.scott Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

I'm new so don't take anything I say as authoritative, but from what I've read over here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/hexbridge/start what you describe sounds correct to me.

edited December 1969

OK THis is BS, I have been trying ALL night to do this. In Hexagon I have created a simple little building. With a ceiling, a foundation, a glass door and window, a sign post, and the parking lots and driveway. I have TRIED to send it Daz as a whole setup, and when I do it goes as a solid figure with the concrete texture ALL over it. WHY? I tried to save each part separate as an obj but the WHOLE scene goes with it, ans the material files get re-numbered as they go.. THe building itself where I cut out faces for the door and the window, they come back closed in. WHY?
    Can Daz and Hexagon not remember how an object is created when it may use a few textures? I'll search around the net for some better tutorials than what Daz has. Gary Miller has some great ones, I'll what else I can find.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

texjones said:
    OK THis is BS, I have been trying ALL night to do this. In Hexagon I have created a simple little building. With a ceiling, a foundation, a glass door and window, a sign post, and the parking lots and driveway. I have TRIED to send it Daz as a whole setup, and when I do it goes as a solid figure with the concrete texture ALL over it. WHY? I tried to save each part separate as an obj but the WHOLE scene goes with it, ans the material files get re-numbered as they go.. THe building itself where I cut out faces for the door and the window, they come back closed in. WHY?
    Can Daz and Hexagon not remember how an object is created when it may use a few textures? I'll search around the net for some better tutorials than what Daz has. Gary Miller has some great ones, I'll what else I can find.

A couple of things...

1. DS doesn't handle Booleans very well, so if you made you cuts with Boolean operations, that may be part of the problem. You need to make sure the cuts are 'real' and are not procedural.

2, Some apps (most actually), when exporting an obj will export everything visible as the obj. In DS, when exporting an obj, you turn everything you don't want invisible by using the 'eye' icon. In Blender, there is a 'selected only' check box...look for something similar in Hex.

edited December 1969

What I have been doing so far for several times now is take something like MacLean Streets, the building faces and send it to Hex, in Hex I select the area that I want to use. Copy that, clear out the scene and paste the section that I wanted. THen add a primitive cube, with the front face deleted so not to collide with the 'face' building. Apply a texture to the 'building', (watching Gary's tutorials now I know how to apply the texture and make it look right, not stretched out) and even create the ceiling and a foundation ground. Then all that sent back to Daz, it goes just as I do it intact, then re-apply the textures as needed and it's done.
    So, watching tutorials I wanted to see if I could do it from scratch. Using the texalate tool, I made the cuts for a window and a door. I even made the frames to re-insert back into the openings (as Gary showed), and applied a glass texture. Those faces for openings, I didn't use the boolean, because of what he said about that, so on the first try I simply deleted the face(s). When I sent that back to Daz, the faces closed back up. So on a second try, I extracted those faces then deleted. Still didn't work. If I remember right, when Gary extracted the face he never did delete them, just pushed them out of the way and hid them. The door I extracted and put back in Daz was way over by itself. Trying to send my created building, I did hide every other piece except what I was sending, but the whole thing went together everytime. And when trying to send the whole thing it all becomes the concrete texture, numbering to 10 digits.
    I see about the shading domains, but how do I name them? I guess that's done in the materials window?
    It's funny, I've been successful with Hexagon re-working someboy else's stuff, but have a hard time creating my own.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

texjones said:
    It's funny, I've been successful with Hexagon re-working someboy else's stuff, but have a hard time creating my own.

That's one of the reasons I've always gone back to Blender...I figured out most of the quirks. Hex has a number of quirks...

Got a link to the specific tutorial?

edited January 2013

You know, that's why I did say a long time a go I liked Blender much better. I was on it probbly almost two years before I discovered Daz and Hexagon. I may go back to Blender, now that I understand better about saving as a dae file that opens in Daz in scale everytime. I am trying something else out in Hex. With each step as I progress, I created a cube with the front face CUT this time, sent it to Daz, okay it worked. Then I did a texilate cut at a point, extracted the partial edge to the other side. Created a point there, then welded the two together, and bridged the edges, that worked okay in Daz. So I guess I am going to see if I can re-build the front face to the way I wanted it in the first place, then apply the texture and see what happens, when I send that to Daz..
    The link is the geekatplay.com , some really good tutorials over there. Gary and the other man are really good, I learned alot from them than reading through missing documents here.

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagontutorials/index0.php

Here is what I mean about being successful re-working someone else's stuff. The Wendy's Kitchen is part of a building face from MacLean Streets, I copied that section, then pasted it. Then put a cube around it, taking out the front face so not to collide, then applying a brick texture. The awnings is from Stonemason Urban Sprawl, I just applied the stripes texture from MacLeans Cafe Italia. The ceiling again is a simple cubed just colored. The Parking Lot I created in Illustrator, then applied to a plane in Daz. All this worked out good, but I am having so much trouble just doing it from scratch.
    So I'll just keep doing what I am now and see how that works. Because if I can get this one thing to work right, then I can create more stuff instead of spending so much $$$ in the Daz store. I won't try to create a figure, the artists have that covered. But I am starting from basics and seeing how I can progress to create a village that won't be too heavy on Daz and my computer.
    Clothing is coming up soon to see if I can.

Wendys.jpg
    550 x 397 - 62K
    Post edited by texjones on
    edited December 1969

now this is a little quickie doe in Blender, however bringing it into Daz then Hexagon, Daz will not keep the textures applied in Hex. I mean I like Hexagon, as I am gettung used to it. but there's some things about it that makes me crazy.

empty_building.jpg
    600 x 450 - 19K
    edited February 2013

I think I got it now, sorta. IN Hexagon I created the simple building. As I learned from the Miller tutorials, I disassociated the roof from the lower part. And then deleted the roof and saved the buidling as an object, then vice versa;deleted the building then exported the roof as an obj. Brought them both back into Daz, applied the textures then added the door and window from Room Creator2. Yeah, it looks amateurish but I did figure this much out.

a_basic_building.jpg
    550 x 397 - 45K
    edited February 2013

and before the building...IN Hexagon, I created the shoreline, sent that to Daz (turning off the smooth in the Surface tab) and saved it as a prop. Then brought in the duplicate and pushed them together so they become one. Then in Daz created the 'lake' from a simple cube flattened down a bit. The grass is the Skydome, I just changed the ground texture to grass. I've got them all lined up together, except for the lake it's lowered down a bit for the sake of the shoreline. In Hexagon, the shoreline has several indentions (I divided and divided again, just moving the verices in or out a bit, and lowered the faces for the drop in the surface) and as I lengthened out the side they smoothed out a bit better, then in Daz with the smoother off, they took on a more natural look.

muscle_shores_lake.jpg
    550 x 397 - 119K