The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited March 2013

...err...late to the party here.

Sounds like we already have a "winner".

Every time I see one of Isikol's works, I cannot help but feel he has achieved the "next level" and with the very tools many of us just "play around" with for fun.

A huge congratulations. One commission can lead to another, and another, and soon, you are making a carer of something you love.

...would I be half that fortunate...

...ahh well one can dream, and that is what this is all about..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

throws rocks at Isi, i sooooo hate you

nah really i am happy for you man.... but i still hate you lol

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Iso you are an amazing artist my friend, Congrats!

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

It's interesting to see all the different utilization of Stonemason's products in unique ways.

Good luck to everyone.

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

So...wait. Everyone's talking like someone already won, but I don't see any announcements mentioning it. I know Stonemason mentioned starting a "clean" thread that didn't have all those non-entry picture in it, but I haven't seen a link posted here, nor have I seen a forum topic for it. Is there one that I've simply missed?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

So...wait. Everyone's talking like someone already won, but I don't see any announcements mentioning it. I know Stonemason mentioned starting a "clean" thread that didn't have all those non-entry picture in it, but I haven't seen a link posted here, nor have I seen a forum topic for it. Is there one that I've simply missed?

No winner yet. They are just talking about this:

http://isikol.deviantart.com/art/THE-DISCOVERY-360336367

i got a letter from a publisher who, after seeing my image, wants me to make a scifi cover for an Amazon book that he will publish...

not an electronic one but a print!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited December 1969

While we're all waiting for the winners announcement, you might want to check out other render contests going on now.

• squirrelysquirrely Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

While we're all waiting for the winners announcement, you might want to check out other render contests going on now.

daz needs a page where all contests are listed together
    i only came across this one by accident 3 days before the deadline

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

squirrely said:

daz needs a page where all contests are listed together
    i only came across this one by accident 3 days before the deadline

It has been stickied at the top of the forum since January 21st...

That said, I wouldn't mind a separate forum for contests.. I don't think there are enough contests on DAZ for that to be viable though... I frequent Dreamslayerartworks.com, and they have three to five contests going on at any given time...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

WE do keep trying to persuade people to use the Art Studio Forum for contests, but the idea is just not taking off.

• gero_1478aba0a9gero_1478aba0a9 Posts: 25
    edited March 2013

Maybe create an icon that sits next to the sticky that symbolizes that it's a competition? Like a little medal or such?

Honestly I only ever really check the Commons for the latest goings on (and very rarely look further into the forums) - so anything to help a comp stand out amongst the usual stuff would be helpful.

I only noticed Firstbastion's comp thread the other day. I may have something in the works I could submit - just need to find the spare time to finish it.

Anyway, best of luck everyone!

Post edited by gero_1478aba0a9 on
  • VueiyVueiy Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

No winner yet. They are just talking about this:

http://isikol.deviantart.com/art/THE-DISCOVERY-360336367

i got a letter from a publisher who, after seeing my image, wants me to make a scifi cover for an Amazon book that he will publish...

not an electronic one but a print!

Thanks, I guess I missed that. Definitely deserves some congratulations there!

• squirrelysquirrely Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

i usually only look at the members forum
    and those contests i participate in

the problem is that you need to frequent a lot of places to find the contests
    i'd love to have one place where it lists every one of them

thanks for the pointer to Dreamslayerartworks.com ... didn't know about them ... looks like an interesting site

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    WE do keep trying to persuade people to use the Art Studio Forum for contests, but the idea is just not taking off.

Considering DAZ itself doesn't use particular forums for their own announcements, contests and items of interest, I'm not surprised no one else does. Have you checked out the "Latest News and Offers" forum? The last topic was for Father's Day...last year.

edited December 1969

Not an entry of course still thought I should share my latest render

genesis_bots_out_for_a_walk_3.jpg
    999 x 1411 - 460K
    edited December 1969

...well done. Too bad the challenge is over this would fit well.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Very nice one John

edited December 1969

Thank you!

I wanted to do a little boy bot playing with the sampan

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

quick update..I should have the contest thread ready on Monday,at which point we can all do some voting.
    thanks
    Stefan

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the update Stefan

• edited December 1969

Thank you for the Update.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

quick update..I should have the contest thread ready on Monday,at which point we can all do some voting.
    thanks
    Stefan

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Will you be choosing the official winners after the community votes? Or will you be announcing all winning images at the same time?

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 229
    edited March 2013

Not an entry because it is too late, but I thought I'd show the final version of my Enchanted Forest: Party Time! image; I added more figures. This image would not have been possible using the computer and software I used without the Stonemason Enchanted Forest and Return to Enchanted Forest products. Bryce 7 was struggling and crashing a lot with an earlier version of the scene with multiple tree trunks, and I had to give up on it. Once I removed the tree trunks and added Stonemason's versions the polygon count went down dramatically even though I had more in the scene. This is the reason why his work is so valuable to us all, it provides maximum detail with the optimum memory use.

This is a 2k image scaled down from the 4k render in Bryce 7 Pro.

Faerie-Party-Stage-18-2k.jpg
    2000 x 947 - 994K
    Post edited by Fire Angel on
  • edited December 1969

Very good and beautiful renders with Stonemason products, congratulations.

Let´s see who are the winners.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

I couldn't enter this because it was an older pic, but I recently just redid it using Photoshop's Art History brush and it uses a Stonemason prop, so yeah. Can't see much of the painterly detail here, if you're interested, there's a larger version here

Good luck to everyone who entered!

(btw isikol, I added the shadow). :)

allnewaction_arthistorysmaller.jpg
    935 x 1200 - 295K
    edited December 1969

Not an entry because it is too late, but I thought I'd show the final version of my Enchanted Forest: Party Time! image; I added more figures. This image would not have been possible using the computer and software I used without the Stonemason Enchanted Forest and Return to Enchanted Forest products. Bryce 7 was struggling and crashing a lot with an earlier version of the scene with multiple tree trunks, and I had to give up on it. Once I removed the tree trunks and added Stonemason's versions the polygon count went down dramatically even though I had more in the scene. This is the reason why his work is so valuable to us all, it provides maximum detail with the optimum memory use.

This is a 2k image scaled down from the 4k render in Bryce 7 Pro.

...that is beautiful.

I love his city scapes for the same reason. Very detailed and you only need to use as much as you need.

For those who were inspired by the works in this challenge, had more ideas they couldn't enter, missed the deadline, or have works that otherwise would not have qualified here is a link to a thread where you can show your appreciation for "Stonemason's" work.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19223/

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

I couldn't enter this because it was an older pic, but I recently just redid it using Photoshop's Art History brush and it uses a Stonemason prop, so yeah. Can't see much of the painterly detail here, if you're interested, there's a larger version here

That's damn nice. I would love to get to the point where i could get my stuff to even look half as good as this.

Too bad this one wouldn't have been able to qualify.

• DryJackDryJack Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Beautiful image. Reminds me of a Boris Vallejo painting.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Wow, that's great. Very convincing expressions.
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

Fabulous work on the expressions, and reminds me too of a Vallejo painting.