The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

kmw that is it having fun making new images....Ken Gilliland (Songbirds) has an annual contest (which just closed) for which you can use any image you have made as long as it has been entered in to one of his contests but I always like to make a new one every year. I have other bird images I have done which I could have entered but for me it doesn't sit right so I make a new one.

edited December 1969

steveh nice Lux work there.

Laticis generally I would agree but these days I am not so sure. I find laughing hard before 11am difficult as best, 1 min past then I let rip with good belly laughs. I stop laughing at 1:23 am even if I am sleeping.

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    kmw that is it having fun making new images....Ken Gilliland (Songbirds) has an annual contest (which just closed) for which you can use any image you have made as long as it has been entered in to one of his contests but I always like to make a new one every year. I have other bird images I have done which I could have entered but for me it doesn't sit right so I make a new one.

Well, I'd agree with you 200 percent. If I had an image that fit the criteria, yeah, I'd whip it out and submit it. But not if that image had been posted anywhere else. And Ken's contest is quite specific about the ruling. One of his contests. Not necessarily a piece that's been posted in a gallery at Renderosity or RuntimeDNA.

This contest has actually got me back to rendering. I hadn't seriously opened my 3D software in almost a year. But I must have created almost ten different images for this contest before deciding on the ones I was going to use. Even then I haven't been able to stop. I have an image using Urban Future 4 that I'd love to submit. But, of course, now I can't. Guess I'll have to find somewhere else for it. ;)

kmw

edited December 1969

I do find it hard to come up with ideas and I can't whip up that many images as you in the same time frame. I wish I could but it isn't happening yet. :) But I do love the challenge of thinking up good ideas and have done in the past, it just doesn't come that often.

Glad to hear you back at it again kmw as you produce some nice images...look forward to seeing your entries.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095
    edited December 1969

My second entry:
    Title: Prince Charming my eye! Sneak in my bedroom, try kiss me while 'm sleeping? Kiss me! HA! As if!
    Rendered in Daz Studio 4.5; postwork in Gimp and Picasa
    Stonemason product used: Fairytale Collection Tower Interior

smcontestentry02.jpg
    728 x 1200 - 271K
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wwes said:
    My second entry:
    Title: Prince Charming my eye! Sneak in my bedroom, try kiss me while 'm sleeping? Kiss me! HA! As if!
    Rendered in Daz Studio 4.5; postwork in Gimp and Picasa
    Stonemason product used: Fairytale Collection Tower Interior

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    edited December 1969

wwes trust you, great image and great sense of humour.

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Laticis generally I would agree but these days I am not so sure. I find laughing hard before 11am difficult as best, 1 min past then I let rip with good belly laughs. I stop laughing at 1:23 am even if I am sleeping.

Well....there's nothing like time management for laughter :) - ( 9 hours and 37 minutes - NLP = Negative Laughing Period )

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Second Entry: Something a little different to my first. :)

Title: Gad's Right of Passage
    Qualifying Stonemason Products: Enchanted Forest and Creatures of the Deep
    Software: Daz Studio 3A and Photoshop CS2 for Postwork

Beautiful and Brilliant!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

kmw_ said:
    Bobvan said:
    I wanted it to be an entry but then was told it was not valid due to being posted on D/A previously. Went to remove them out of respect but was not able to. Sorry if my trying to have a bit of fun upset some of you cheers & peace out! Perhaps I will crank out fresh material if I find the time... To make sure there is no further misunderstandings are Lux renders permitted?

Actually, the standard rule for these contests is that the artwork not have been seen anywhere else at all. In other words, it should be an original piece that was created specifically for the contest. And it cannot be seen anywhere else until after the contest is over.

Deleting an existing piece everywhere else and then submitting it doesn't make it original.

Besides, I don't know about you, but a lot of this is supposed to be for having fun and fueling the imagination, isn't it? Not recycling old ideas.

kmw

Actually I beg to differ. Its not old recycled material if it never has been posted at this site or for any contest prior it was just on D/A. So technically it would be new here. I have several thousand including many quality renders on my page... I dont get its not an original since they are my creations.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,562
    edited December 1969

steveh, outstanding work, especially "last blow"

the bar has been raised!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    kmw_ said:
    Bobvan said:
    I wanted it to be an entry but then was told it was not valid due to being posted on D/A previously. Went to remove them out of respect but was not able to. Sorry if my trying to have a bit of fun upset some of you cheers & peace out! Perhaps I will crank out fresh material if I find the time... To make sure there is no further misunderstandings are Lux renders permitted?

Actually, the standard rule for these contests is that the artwork not have been seen anywhere else at all. In other words, it should be an original piece that was created specifically for the contest. And it cannot be seen anywhere else until after the contest is over.

Deleting an existing piece everywhere else and then submitting it doesn't make it original.

Besides, I don't know about you, but a lot of this is supposed to be for having fun and fueling the imagination, isn't it? Not recycling old ideas.

kmw

Actually I beg to differ. Its not old recycled material if it never has been posted at this site or for any contest prior it was just on D/A. So technically it would be new here. I have several thousand including many quality renders on my page... I dont get its not an original since they are my creations.

I am sorry that we have to have things like this is someones contest thread, but the Rules Stonemason is using are the rules that have been used foor every official Contest ever held on this site and the rule in question is quite plain. As copied from SM's first post

All entries must be new images—not previously available for public viewing—or will be disqualified. Public posting includes display on blogs, forum posts or any web page without restricted access. Entries may be posted publicly after the winner of the contest has been announced.

edited December 1969

Ebajoy said:
    Szark said:
    Second Entry: Something a little different to my first. :)

Title: Gad's Right of Passage
    Qualifying Stonemason Products: Enchanted Forest and Creatures of the Deep
    Software: Daz Studio 3A and Photoshop CS2 for Postwork

Beautiful and Brilliant!Thank you Ebajoy

Laticis NLP LOL

edited March 2013

Got it but as far as my imagination goes its just fine thank you.... Figured how to removed the images done! Again apologies. My intention was to partake.... Good luck to all of you!

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited March 2013

I am throwing something together thanks for the inspiration...

Edit I have my real entry baking...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • J GugliuzzaJ Gugliuzza Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Title In Temerator "The Defiler"
    Software DAZ3D - post work Photoshop CS2
    Stonemason's The Graveyard

In_Temerator_The_Defiler.jpg
    1500 x 843 - 1M
  • thephotosnapperthephotosnapper Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

steveh, outstanding work, especially "last blow"

the bar has been raised!

Thanks guys ! very kind of you to comment :)

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

now we're cooking. ;)
    edited December 1969

Question I have a pretty sweet looking render baking just for this contest. If I understand this right it can only be posted for he size of this forum? what is the max size we can post? I am just concern it will take away from the render itself

edited March 2013

Szark said:
    Bobvan said:

now we're cooking. ;)

Yeah man im pretty pleased with the way its looking! I only render with Lux

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

Bobvan said:
    Question I have a pretty sweet looking render baking just for this contest. If I understand this right it can only be posted for he size of this forum? what is the max size we can post? I am just concern it will take away from the render itself

How big do you want to make it ? The forum size seems to suit most people. 2000 pixels is not exactly a small render.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Post image entries to this thread,keep in mind there will be a lot of images so please dont post images that are too large(I recommend no larger than 1500 pixels)
    on first page in bold :)
    edited March 2013

None entry due to being posted in other areas..

something_different_by_bobvan-d5wtwb2.jpg
    1500 x 798 - 176K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

That's a nice looking image Bobvan, however I note that it does not meet the requirements as to being JPG. I find it interesting that every question you have asked and every quibble you have had are covered in the first post in this thread. You might want to consider following the old adage "When all else fails, read the directions."

edited March 2013

sfaa69 said:
    That's a nice looking image Bobvan, however I note that it does not meet the requirements as to being JPG. I find it interesting that every question you have asked and every quibble you have had are covered in the first post in this thread. You might want to consider following the old adage "When all else fails, read the directions."

*resolved* Will do *if* I decide to partake in future contests.... It's caused more OT topics then needed....

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    sfaa69 said:

*resolved* Will do *if* I decide to partake in future contests.... It's not been that great of an experience...

The experience is fine when you follow the rules of the contest. You've just seemed like you felt you should be able to do whatever you want rather than follow the rules everyone else has, though maybe that impression was unintentional?

edited March 2013

Yeah I did not mean to start sh*t and fully agree that it’s taken more air and space then needed and prolly will play against my chances. That’s ok I always enjoy sharing a nice slick Lux render… You have seen alot of my stuff on Rogerbee’s thread. I think it’s more of being used to doing my own thing… As I said before I did this more for the fun of it since I really don’t need the content….

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Yeah I did not mean to start sh*t and fully agree that it's taken more air and space then needed and prolly will play against my chances. That's ok I always enjoy sharing a nice slick Lux render... You have seen alot of my stuff on Rogerbee's thread. I think it's more of being used to doing my own thing... As I said before I did this more for the fun of it since I really don't need the content....

You do great work. Love your series stuff! I am a long time fan of Land of the Giants, so those renders bring back fond memories.

edited March 2013

Thanks how's the new system? LOTG is the reason I got into this whole hobby & is my true passion... All I saw is Stefan's contest and thought geez I have TONS of renders with his sets (Big fan of his stuff:)) so I just thought it was as simple as submitting something...guess not...again sorry for all the blunders and did take the day to submit something that's a departure from what I do and was really attempting to follow the rules... I also get that DS is looking for donated artwork. Its ll good I am back to baking my stuff...

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

New system is AWESOME! I'm hoping that the increased power will lead to better renders so they one day I'll actually have a chance (horribly elm though it will still be) of winning one of these contests one day. :)