JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

LOL No not the whiskey.....are you trying to get me to fall off the wagon. :) Thank goodness it is just a virtual one and now I am vitually pi..ed. ;) Thanks Baglet

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited December 1969

It's rendering, still too much noise though...

[[0;32mLux 2013-Mar-15 20:04:31 INFO : 0[0m] 08:48:02 - 16 T: 1.74 kS/p 150.71 kS/s 211.68 kC/s 140% Eff

edited December 1969

Ok, enough rendering ;-)

king_of_wolfcastle.jpg
    1600 x 1269 - 378K
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,126
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Ok, enough rendering ;-)

Nice..! :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Ok, enough rendering ;-)

Nice, I guess he got fed up with waiting and decided to move on.

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Ok, enough rendering ;-)

Very moody. All the stonework comes out wonderfully. I'm always amazed how many different looks you can get with the Guildhall.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Totte said:
    Ok, enough rendering ;-)

Very moody. All the stonework comes out wonderfully. I'm always amazed how many different looks you can get with the Guildhall.

Thanks, I think Guildhall (v1 & v2) plus Invetero (spelling) are my two most used Jack big sets. I showed a friend DS last weekend (posted here) and used invetero, and when we browsed some renders of mine, even he began to notice "Ohh, there is that building again".

edited December 1969

More of Jacks excellent structures getting destroyed ;-)

base_escape.jpg
    1400 x 1120 - 355K
    edited December 1969

Great images Totte. What setting did you leave the second to last one render to.

I left mine for 24 hours and just managed to top the 1K mark and still needs more. I thought that might be the case on a dual core 2 gb ram manchine. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Great images Totte. What setting did you leave the second to last one render to.

I left mine for 24 hours and just managed to top the 1K mark and still needs more. I thought that might be the case on a dual core 2 gb ram manchine. :)

I got two QuadCore Xeons at 2.9GHz in the box that rendered this one, which is equal to 16 hyper threads. The render was at 1600x1280 originally. Settings were pretty plain, a little Reinhart with rre at 1.27 or something.
    It's all about CPU crunch (Icannot use GPU as I only have 1GB VRAM and too much screen estate, runs out of memory)

edited December 1969

LOL yeah I know what machine you have dude hence why I asked when you stopped it. :) Yeah I used Reinhard Tone Mapping Kernell too. Thanks Totte.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL yeah I know what machine you have dude hence why I asked when you stopped it. :) Yeah I used Reinhard Tone Mapping Kernell too. Thanks Totte.

08:48:02 plus another 5 minutes or so, so almost 9 hours!

edited December 1969

Yeah I am not surprised it only took that long with your rig. I think I would have to leave mine for at least 2 days. )

edited December 1969

And that's my "little monster", the "big monster" has 2x6Core ;-)

edited December 1969

Finally managed to get Platea into Vue. It needs "tightening" as Vue messes up the obj files so that everything looks rounded like a slightly bouncy castle. There is no easy solution to this. I export groups of obj to Wings3d or Hexagon and set the edges to "hard" (Wings) or 0 smoothness (Hexagon). This is a bit of a performance as the obj needs to be split by material or else you can lose the material zones.

It worked eventually. I've set myself a whole weekend of similar fun and games.

platea1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 303K
    edited December 1969

Nice Baglet. Have you tried right clicking on the mesh in Vue and Edit. I think there are some mesh smoothing settings there. I can't check right now.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Nice Baglet. Have you tried right clicking on the mesh in Vue and Edit. I think there are some mesh smoothing settings there. I can't check right now.

I've given up with those as they don't seem to stay with the file. You'd think once set it would stay but it doesn't seem to. So you have to keep resetting it.

The export, tighten, import process is a pain but it means that I get the same clean object every time.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Finally managed to get Platea into Vue. It needs "tightening" as Vue messes up the obj files so that everything looks rounded like a slightly bouncy castle. There is no easy solution to this. I export groups of obj to Wings3d or Hexagon and set the edges to "hard" (Wings) or 0 smoothness (Hexagon). This is a bit of a performance as the obj needs to be split by material or else you can lose the material zones.

It worked eventually. I've set myself a whole weekend of similar fun and games.

Can't you just change the smoothing angle in Vue to like 35?

edited December 1969

Totte said:

It doesn't alway stay with the object for some reason. This way I know it will be correct every time and can adjust only the bits that bulge.

The next few things have been easier as they didn't need "tightening". I'm probably mad - which would explain almost everything.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Totte said:

It doesn't alway stay with the object for some reason. This way I know it will be correct every time and can adjust only the bits that bulge.

The next few things have been easier as they didn't need "tightening". I'm probably mad - which would explain almost everything.

I'll have to give it a try ;-)

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

...cutting through Invetero at night is never recommended, unless you don't mind making your acquaintance of the vampire clan that hang around there...

HQ version - http://fav.me/d5ya27z

PerilsOfYore-Vampyr.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 430K
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    ...cutting through Invetero at night is never recommended, unless you don't mind making your acquaintance of the vampire clan that hang around there...

HQ version - http://fav.me/d5ya27z

Nice renders everyone! :)

edited December 1969

Jack is up today on MM if you didn't see it. ;)

edited December 1969

Szark said:

I gave in to my weakness for these Palazzi and bough Invetero.

No more! I'm spending my next wedge of money before it has even arrived.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

...I know (whimper).

Was laid off from my job of 18 years on Friday. Kind of knew it was coming when we lost our longest running and most stable client (who's account I also handled). Nothing we did wrong, just "biz" in this still sour economy (they basically wanted to centralise their shipping hub in the US Midwest, and go with a cheaper *in every sense of the word* fulfillment firm than us - Caveat Emptor).

Have a bit of a cushion as I was given a somewhat generous severance and can qualify for UC as it is technically a "layoff". Still have to watch the expenses more as UC benefits are about 75% the salary rate, and are subject to income tax (so I have to put money aside to cover that). At least I still have my tax refund cheques for last year on the way.

So, with all this time on my hands now, been installing to the new Workstation. Have 3Advanced (64) and 4.5 (64) up and running and now loading all the content on.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    . . . laid off from my job of 18 years on Friday . . .

Yipes, sorry to hear that! :gulp:

My latest PCI entry -- used Jack's Indigites Dii (wearing Indigitamenta and a bit of orange in the diffuse). DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Parting at Indigitamenta

PartingIndigitamenta-x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Szark said:

...I know (whimper).

Was laid off from my job of 18 years on Friday. Kind of knew it was coming when we lost our longest running and most stable client (who's account I also handled). Nothing we did wrong, just "biz" in this still sour economy (they basically wanted to centralise their shipping hub in the US Midwest, and go with a cheaper *in every sense of the word* fulfillment firm than us - Caveat Emptor).

Have a bit of a cushion as I was given a somewhat generous severance and can qualify for UC as it is technically a "layoff". Still have to watch the expenses more as UC benefits are about 75% the salary rate, and are subject to income tax (so I have to put money aside to cover that). At least I still have my tax refund cheques for last year on the way.

So, with all this time on my hands now, been installing to the new Workstation. Have 3Advanced (64) and 4.5 (64) up and running and now loading all the content on.Man that is crap news. Hope things turn around soon at least you got a nice severance to tie you over.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Szark said:

...I know (whimper).

Was laid off from my job of 18 years on Friday.

That's horrible after all those years. It's a frightening time for everybody and there seems to be no end in sight.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...thank you all.

...yeah a bummer in one way, an opportunity in another.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Szark said:

...I know (whimper).

So, with all this time on my hands now, been installing to the new Workstation. Have 3Advanced (64) and 4.5 (64) up and running and now loading all the content on.

Bah, that sucks to hear.. hope you can get something else lined up soon :)

This discussion has been closed.