Shop Suggestion: Gallery Links on Item Pages

LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
edited February 2017 in Product Suggestions

Promos are a great thing, but it would be nice if we could see user renders of the same item easily linked from the product pages. We already have the ability in the gallery to link to the items used, why can't we put a reverse link on the products themselves to see everything in the gallery connected to that item? Renderosity has this feature already, and I find it very handy. I can't remember if RDNA did. It definitely helps with making shopping decisiions. Yes, it's less control, but most customers want to see actual renders of an item by other users. TOS should be enough to filter out any real problems already.

Right now, we have to search the forums or the galleries to see what people have rendered with new products. While that's fun, it's harder to find some of the older product renders. Seems like it would be a matter of adding some code in the page templates, but maybe I'm wrong.

Just a thought.

Post edited by Llynara on

Comments

• That strikes me as an idea for a perfect world.

1) Quality control would be an issue. Don't know iray fully (like me) but think you can render worthy of a promo? Yeah, some would and make the product look less attractive.

2) Partial content. bad enough we have soooo many props used to enhance the promo, worse when I'm showing a character as the main focus and the backdrop is the product and I get to post it as a promo..just because I used it. Or vice versa.

3) A link that leads me away from the store in any capacity is a problem. I might like the render and surf to see more and once that artist makes multiple promo gallery submissions, you get the artists being advertised, not the product.

4) The creator who made it, if they are not skilled with rendering or lighting or whatever, can outsource the product and get THE BEST artists on here to create their promos. That beats the lag of the product coming out and time passing while the product is consumed, mastered and then rendered and then submitted and okay'ed to be added to the product's promo area.

5) Politics and jockeying to be the featured promo/gallery. "Look MasterBuilder didn't use my render as an ad pic, what do you guys think?" "Yeah, you're right, your pic is much better than the one he used".

6) Cross-promo sounds good when there's some connection. [even behind the scenes]. But now you might have anyone using  hair or clothes and you have no say in how your product is combined or styled. If I have jeans, I might add THOSE JEANS to many promo galleries to have my jeans featured all over Daz.

----------------------------------------

I think the fix is to add more pictures to some of the products. Some vendors go all out and show their product from multiple angles, some show you the grey-shaded version so you see EXACTLY what you are getting.

Some list everything like props so you know what's an object and what's a scenic item.

Some, even better, list what else they used to make the promo pic (Links to those would be a big bonus)

And some products are shamefully vague on what the product actually is or how it is to be used. Sometimes it doesn't even seem to have a category.

The READ ME is nothing more than a list of where to put what. And lots of products have no manual.

Or you could link to the Daz manual where that feature you're creating a product for is...wait a minute, there is no Daz manual, Strike that.

It's like "Well, you should have read the thread we had going right before I released it. Among all those posts is your FAQ." lol

-----------------------

Another fix might be to link to an official Daz (or vendor) created release thread where you can get more information. And I'm thinking that thread is more of an archive where it's written for the release.

Not so much the "hey all, I'm putting out a car soon, what do you guys think?" 2 pages later the opening is changed to [RELEASED] but the first three pages is still all....looks awesome....will the doors open?....oh no, not another Porsche! etc...

The official release post could have all sorts of information. A real read me that explains the details and even instructions - like a real Quick Start Guide.
    Again, this is different from what we have in place now. The trouble I see is the amount of archiving for the number of products on offer, but I don't think there's a product ever released that hasn't had some kind of posting fanfare. That section could be searched by artist/category like everywhere else. I would love it if, when I try to choose product and instead open up MORE INFORMATION, I actually got more information.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078

Seriously?!

You're kidding me, right?!

laugh

Okay, I either have the ability to read your future minds (any psychics out there, who can tell me how I can use this ability better? wink); or you can read my mind (any psychics out there, who can tell me how to stop this? wink).

This (both of the above suggestions) is something I started working on about 3 days ago for the browser addon. laugh I still have to run the idea by @Overdrawn, but as far as March Madness predictions go, it might even be ready during the sale...

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

I cast my vote, YES on this feature! I use this feature alot on renderosity when I shop there. I like to see what other artist have done with the product and how they are using it before I buy it. It doesnt mean I wont buy it if no one has posted images, but it doing so makes a contribution toward a buying decision.

• Optional yes; not everybody has a smooth high speed internet connection.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2017
    Ati said:

Seriously?!

You're kidding me, right?!

laugh

Okay, I either have the ability to read your future minds (any psychics out there, who can tell me how I can use this ability better? wink); or you can read my mind (any psychics out there, who can tell me how to stop this? wink).

This (both of the above suggestions) is something I started working on about 3 days ago for the browser addon. laugh I still have to run the idea by @Overdrawn, but as far as March Madness predictions go, it might even be ready during the sale...

Ha ha! That sounds awesome, @Ati ! Maybe we're spending too much time together on the sales thread and reading each other's minds! LOL

I really like the feature on Renderosity and use it a lot. it doesn't take any additional bandwidth since nothing loads by default, it's just an extra tab you can click. (I have metered satellite internet at home, so I'm watchful of this stuff too.)

I'd love to see some kind of option here- in the browser add-on is perfectly fine! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I like this idea too. It seems utterly harmless to add a 'see product in Gallery' link because it is already there; you click on Gallery, you go down to the search box and you type in the product name. Having that ability has not resulted in any of the consequences feared above.