I want to hire anybody to make me smoke of breath for $300 or more

iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
edited February 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I'm working on an animation project showing breathing human. I am going to import a character from DAZ Studio to Carrara 8.5 so I expect that your work is made by Carrara. I know a little bit about particle emitter in Carrara but can't figure it out how to make it look real. (I have animation block to make genesis 1 and genesis 2 inhale and exhale so I just need only breath part.)

The breath must look like running smoke at the same speed of human breath. Not realistic in real world breath like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZK8RMVXZXs but realistic in our experiences with breath; that is, when it goes in, the air in the chest should be accumulated like swelling balloon. And when it goes out, the air in the chest should be released like flatting balloon.

Quite easy job for you who know how. But please provide me step by step how to make it from scratch. I need to know it to have it tweaked later. This is a sloppy sample I created in Motion 5. Sure I need another much much better one. Thank you! 

Post edited by iSeeThis on

Comments

• TBH as much as I love Carrara and it's particles, have you looked at Hitfilm express?

I reckon you could just as good a job postworking it there using the smoke particle filter.

• its free for a Facebook like or Twitter tweat BTW

• took me 2 minutes and looks it

but yeah my breath not convincing but a bit more fiddling with the effect parameters it might be

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552

Thank you very much the 3Ddigit. Okay, I raise it to $300. Anyone? I have to hurry cuz I can't afford time but can afford money. If you show me the good result, I'll pay you via PayPal!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Can I clarify what you are wanting? Are you looking for an external view - ie. to see air going into and coming out of the nose or mouth, but not seeing what happens inside?  Or are you doing a cutaway similar to the video example that you referenced which shows the air passing down the trachea and into the lungs (where it accumulates)? Maybe a quick sketch or storyboard would help visualize exactly what you need. If the latter, do you have a model of the body and lungs which allows cutaways?

• I've got a render going on.

I'll try to post something a few hours as a start of discussion.

• ThomasScThomasSc Posts: 125

Hi,

Carrara and espcially particles aren't that good for this kind of stuff frown

Using Houdini and importing it is a little bit better and easier. You would, however, need Octane to render it in Carrara.

There is also a plugin: http://www.inagoni.com/?page_id=439

Other option is, as already written, Hitfilm. Alternatively, use Trapcode Particular for AE if money isn't a problem.

But a better description, as already written, would be an idea enlightened

Best wishes,
    Thomas

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited February 2017

This is a first draft

Please tell me how far it is from what you're envisioning

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on

Thank you everyone! After reading ThomasSc's comment and seeing Philemo's picture, I guess I have to reconsider everything. Appreciate all words of you guys much.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited March 2017
    iSeeThis said:

Thank you everyone! After reading ThomasSc's comment and seeing Philemo's picture, I guess I have to reconsider everything. Appreciate all words of you guys much.

BTW It's not a picture, it's a embedded youtube video :-)

It's just an example. Particles number, size, opacity... can be changed.

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on

@iSeeThis - I think there are ways to achieve what you want but I am not sure that particles in Carrara is the way to go. If you could be more specific about what you want this to look like, I (and others) would be better able to advise what the best approach would be.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

It's really pretty simple.

Place the particle emitter in mouth, set the particle type to "facing camera"

Set the despersion angle to about 20, plus or minus 8

Velocity to about 8, gravity to 0

set emission time "outward breath" to about 2 seconds

Insert a point force and put it just behind the particle emitter

set the strength to 0 for the first 2-seconds(during the outward breath)

for the inward breath set the strength to about 200 at 2-seconds. (set a keyframe just before 2- seconds at 0, so the point force will stay at 0 until 2-seconds)

Go to the "scene" and select the physics tab and set the gravity to 0

Give it a try

All that is left is the shader....don't have time right now to set it up (i'm at work)

• McGuiver said:

It's really pretty simple.

Place the particle emitter in mouth, set the particle type to "facing camera"

Set the despersion angle to about 20, plus or minus 8

Velocity to about 8, gravity to 0

set emission time "outward breath" to about 2 seconds

Insert a point force and put it just behind the particle emitter

set the strength to 0 for the first 2-seconds(during the outward breath)

for the inward breath set the strength to about 200 at 2-seconds. (set a keyframe just before 2- seconds at 0, so the point force will stay at 0 until 2-seconds)

Go to the "scene" and select the physics tab and set the gravity to 0

Give it a try

All that is left is the shader....don't have time right now to set it up (i'm at work)

It's basically my starting point (funny we both had the same basic idea). I added another point force at a distance in the flow direction to simulate the widening at the end of the flow. I also add a slight flow force by the end to disturb a little the end cloud. For the point forces, I also changed the decay distance to 2 feet.

Thanks. I mean really thank for all your advices th3DdigitPhilWPhilemo, and McGuiver. Just have no time left. I've decided to use SimTenero Particle Physics. It's not convincing much but that's all I have in hand.

Oh, I should be the man of my word. I will finish my project in two days. I will really pay $300 to anyone who make it more convincing than mine. PhilW, what I want is simply imitation of real breath movement. Starting narrowly somewhere beneath the nose and ending spread in the confined area of lung (like swelling balloon.) And for exhail, things should be opposite. What I envision is something likethe picture I attach.

test.png
    684 x 737 - 110K

I had a couple of hours today so thought I would have a go at putting something together. It probably still needs a little refinement but it gets the basic ideas across.