How to organize Genesis 3 morphs?

I'd like to reorganize my shaping morphs. One of many examples:

When I want to shape a figure's ears, I have to visit at least two places in the Shaping pane to find all the relevant options: Character > Head and Character > Ears. Since there's a category that's actually called "Ears", I don't want to scrabble around for Ear morphs elsewhere.

I can move a morph with this process:

1. Click its gear icon
  2. Choose Parameter Settings
  3. Edit the path

But this change only applies to the current instance of the current figure. If make the change for G3M, delete that figure, and load another G3M, my change doesn't appear for the new figure.

I found a 2013 forum post How to organize Genesis morphs? which lays out a moderately painful way to edit morphs by editing their definition files directly.

If that's still the best way to do it, so be it. But I'm hoping that in 2017 / G3 there's something a little better front-ended.

Comments

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

You can save your Figure, as scene- subset  which modifed some morphs path character. I tweak modify morph "path" , corresopond with region , then save as Scene  subset.   Subset  onlly discribe parameter which you modified (include modified "path" for goruping ) and overwrite instance.   but  not include geometry data if you only tweak "path" of morphs. And  it can keep your each morph.dsf in data as same as before. 

Though I can not trust perefectly  those subset character which modified morphs and discribe in the subset.duf,  without save it as morph.   but can use as one option. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I'd really like a better way to organize morphs. It seems content is scattered willy-nilly throughout my shaping dials and it can get frustrating, especially if there are parts in one place and parts in another.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The Head morphs are heads morphs, just because they may also change the ears' shape does not make them Ear morphs

• jestmart said:

The Head morphs are heads morphs, just because they may also change the ears' shape does not make them Ear morphs

I know one of the vendor teams places all head related morphs, no matter what part of the head they actually modify, under head.

• You can save your Figure, as scene- subset  which modifed some morphs path character. I tweak modify morph "path" , corresopond with region , then save as Scene  subset.   Subset  onlly discribe parameter which you modified (include modified "path" for goruping ) and overwrite instance.   but  not include geometry data if you only tweak "path" of morphs. And  it can keep your each morph.dsf in data as same as before. 

Though I can not trust perefectly  those subset character which modified morphs and discribe in the subset.duf,  without save it as morph.   but can use as one option. 

kitakoredaz, do I understand your process correctly?

1. Create a new document with a figure (for example, G3M).
    2. Edit the morph paths.
    3. File > Save As > Scene Subset.
    4. The next time I need to use G3M, load the scene subset.

If so, won't I still have the same problem? If I decide to use a different character (for example, G3F), I can't import the changes from my G3M scene subset -- or can I?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited February 2017

No you can not apply character preset,. After you change MorphA path, (grouped category)  then save as subset.  then  you can use the subset with all morphs  in parameter and shape tab,  (eg manually change value of morph which you tweaked then make character), but if you apply another character preset which include those morphs, it can overwrite the morph with (path), and return  path as default.

Even though you make new character preset  from saved (morph path changed) subset, the character preset can return morph path as default.  you can keep your modify as subset only (maybe save as scene work too, I feel)

Post edited by kitakoredaz on