Real time project

Hello,

Been a long time fan of Daz3d projects.

Is it ok to use your products in real time projects? I am making a couple of characters, I'm not using the actual meshes from Daz3d, but using them as concept art to create other characters, so lets say I like a piece of armor, I remake that armor in my own vision.

Is that ok?  I'm not directly copying, just using as a template to create something that is unique and fits with what I'm going for.

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Since it is acceptable to use renders of the products that you purchase as you see fit, I believe that it is safe to say that recreating that render in whole or in part, with or without alteration, would also be acceptable. If I understand what you are saying correctly.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2017

Hello,

Been a long time fan of Daz3d projects.

Is it ok to use your products in real time projects? I am making a couple of characters, I'm not using the actual meshes from Daz3d, but using them as concept art to create other characters, so lets say I like a piece of armor, I remake that armor in my own vision.

Is that ok?  I'm not directly copying, just using as a template to create something that is unique and fits with what I'm going for.

Yes   I am like SixDs and having a little bit of a problem understanding exactly what you mean.   You say that you are not using the meshes,  but are using the model as a template to create your own.  Are you simply meaning that you are using a clothing model and then changing the textures on it?  THis is normal practice and absolutely fine, as the textures are completely 2d    Other wise can you explain more as to how you use the model as a template.  The EULA does say that is not allowed to make and redistribute derivative items based on Daz 3d products.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited February 2017

I look at the daz3d character and remake the mesh, let me show a screenshot.  I liked the major cache chest plate, so it looks similiar to it, but compeletly different

I'm just using the Daz3d models as kinda of a concept art.

Post edited by msonthineni_af154f251b on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

No that is not okay, that is a derivative of the original copyrighted model.

• edited February 2017

Need to hear it from Daz3d, cause its no where near the same, its like Apple and MS and Samsung and LG making phones, damn they look the same, they can't say one is from the other.

Imagination is derived from what you see, hear, senses, can't copyright that.

Buying an indie license is not a big deal, but no where in their licesne agreement, does it talk about using the models as an idea, and that is where I need clarification.

Post edited by msonthineni_af154f251b on

The Indie license is only for game devs. 

and the standard EULA does say

Other Restrictions. This Agreement is User’s proof of license to exercise the rights granted herein and may be printed and retained by User. User shall not give, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer or distribute any Content on a temporary or permanent basis without the prior written consent of Daz. User may not reverse engineer, de-compile, disassemble, or create derivative works from the Content except as set forth in Section E above.

• oh I'm making a game, thats why I need to know, I'm not using any Daz3d models in the game or any modification of their models, just that some of the models I've made pieces of them have a resemblence to some pieces in Daz3d models lol. like the chest of the major cache which I posted links to my works

So what figures are you using,  The human characters?  if you are not using Daz figures?

• I made my own.  all of them are made from scratch :).  I don't mind promoting Daz3d saying inspired by Daz3d content or something like that.  If I have to get the indie licience I will do that too :).  I just want to make sure the correct way of proceeding before I release something,

OK At this point in time I am going to suggest that you contact Daz 3D directly.  At the end of the day they are the ones who can give you the accurate advice.   File a help ticket, and try to be as exact as you can in what you are want to acheive,  A link to this thread would probably help.   https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Anyone answering you in the forums cannot really give you the answer.you need.

• ah cool thx Chohole!