Installing Genesis content for use in both Studio 4.5 and Poser

WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Since I see that Studio can now be installed without the Content Management service I'm going to install it on my Poser machine. Do I need to install the Genesis content twice for Studio and the DSON importer, or can they somehow use a common content directory?

Thanx in advance... :)

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

No, just point both Poser and DS to the same location.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited December 1969

So the Poser Companion files don't cause any issues for Studio? That's good to know; Thanx! :)

edited December 1969

Got it set up and it seems to be working. The Poser skin shaders for Genesis seem to render better than the DS shaders, but I suspect my lighting is set up better in Poser...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,366
    edited December 1969

No they don't cause an issue for DS. I install all my files into DS and just point my Poser to My Library. Works great.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Got it set up and it seems to be working. The Poser skin shaders for Genesis seem to render better than the DS shaders, but I suspect my lighting is set up better in Poser...

If you want to use EZSkin with Genesis:
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?71419-EZSkin-v2/page8

edited December 1969

Thanx Kerya. :) I had already put together a profile, but this one has some differences, so I'll give it a try.

I think the most noticeable difference between the DAZ V5 shader for Poser and EZSkin is that texture filtering doesn't appear to be set to Crisp in the DAZ shader...

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited January 2013

Hi,

Background:
    I've been following this thread and decided to try to run both DS and Poser on my Poser machine (I've been running DS on my laptop and Poser on my desktop). I did a clean install of the latest version of DS including the CMS and the most recent version of Genesis Essentials. I also installed all of my content into my DS library. I also installed the DSON importer (most current version). I made sure my PoserPro12 was updated. I attempted to add DS "My Library" to my Poser library but it won't load it. When I try again it tells me that the "runtime" of my "My Library" has been added but I can't get it to display. I've been reading tutorials at Content Paradise, Renderosity and the help files here for the DSON importer. I'm trying to find the most relevant up to date info because of the changes in both software applications. I've spent two days attempting to figure this out but I can't seem to find a solution.

Question:
    Could someone assist me with this process? BTW I use a Mac (OS 10.6.8). Thank you in advance to the forum Gods and Goddesses ;)

Post edited by Stormlyght on
    edited January 2013

I'm on Windows, but I first created a directory (cleverly named "DAZ Content") and installed the DAZ content to it, then added it to the Poser library. and pointed Studio to it when I installed it using the custom install option. Did you install the Poser Companion files to the same directory as the content?

EDIT I should clarify; I pointed Studio to that directory as the content directory, not as the install path...

Post edited by WandW on
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Did you install the Poser Companion files to the same directory as the content?

Thank you WandW for your response! I installed all of my DAZ content including the compatible Poser files into the default folder (DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\). I then started up Poser and attempted to add a folder to my Poser LIbrary by pointing it to "My Library". I didn't want to do a duplicate installation of just DAZ Poser content into another folder somewhere on my system's hard drive. I did install the DSON Importer into my Poser application folder as instructed by the wiki help files but I didn't install the Essential Genesis components in there. Should I do that? Or should I attempt to create a folder somewhere else on my hard drive, give it admin rights (read/write) create a runtime folder within it as outlined by this suggested help file at https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2257/kw/installind daz content/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1ODY1MjA3MC9zaWQvNW54R3pLZ2w= and then point Poser to it? I'm running out of ideas.

edited January 2013

WandW said:
    Did you install the Poser Companion files to the same directory as the content?

Thank you WandW for your response! I installed all of my DAZ content including the compatible Poser files into the default folder (DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\). I then started up Poser and attempted to add a folder to my Poser LIbrary by pointing it to "My Library". I didn't want to do a duplicate installation of just DAZ Poser content into another folder somewhere on my system's hard drive. I did install the DSON Importer into my Poser application folder as instructed by the wiki help files but I didn't install the Essential Genesis components in there. Should I do that? Or should I attempt to create a folder somewhere else on my hard drive, give it admin rights (read/write) create a runtime folder within it as outlined by this suggested help file at https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2257/kw/installind daz content/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1ODY1MjA3MC9zaWQvNW54R3pLZ2w= and then point Poser to it? I'm running out of ideas.

Hmmmm... I was going to blame UAC, but you are on OS X. ;) The Genesis Essentials are indeed installed into the DAZ content folder. Browsing within the runtime subfolders folder there, are there Poser files?

I did my install bass-ackwards, installing some content, adding that folder to the Poser Library, then installing Studio and pointing the content path to that location, as I used the Importer before I installed Studio on that machine....

Post edited by WandW on
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Browsing within the runtime subfolders folder there, are there Poser files?

Hi,

Yes. The files are there. I'm truly baffled on why it won't display in my library. I think I might try and install the content in a separate folder for Poser and just deal with two folders. It's a pain to maintain but I'd really like to use my DS content in Poser. I use to just have DS on my laptop and Poser on my desktop but I really like the Firefly rendering engine and would like to see if I can get the same results others are using Genesis figures in Poser.

Thank you so much for your help.

edited December 1969

Just a thought; could there be another folder called runtime in that folder hierarchy that has been actually added to the Library?

Since you are on OS X, which underneath the pretty GUI is good old UNIX, I would create a symbolic link to the runtime folder in your Studio content folder, rather then making a copy. If you are not a UNIX guru there is a utility that should make it pretty painless:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

Create an empty folder wherever you keep your Poser runtime folders, then link the runtime folder from the Studio content folder into that folder. Then add that folder to the Poser Library

edited January 2013

Hi WandaW,

...create a symbolic link to the runtime folder in your Studio content folder, rather then making a copy.

Thank you. Your suggestion worked. I appreciate the time you took to find a solution.

All the best.

Post edited by Stormlyght on
    edited December 1969

Hi WandaW,

...create a symbolic link to the runtime folder in your Studio content folder, rather then making a copy.

Thank you. Your suggestion worked. I appreciate the time you took to find a solution.

All the best.

Glad it worked for you. :)

Take Care!