Second Annual Kit Bashing Contest WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited February 2013

I'm a long time Harryhausen fan, so as soon as I saw the new Bot for Genesis from Parris, I knew I had to kit-bash it with Raw Art's Tauran 2 to recreate Minoton from SINBAD & THE EYE OF THE TIGER. I ended up using just about every brass shader I had... from the Supersuits, Hardcore Utility Shaders, DLD Metalic shaders, and the new Metal Glass shaders from Age of Armor, as well as a sizable number of copper and a few bits of aluminum. Most of the innards were rendered with the extruded brass and copper shaders from HUS to break down the more robotic look of the original figure and give it a more "hollow, run by magic appearance." Most of the red glows came from the supersuit shaders, as did the orange glow in the lava (the yellow is point lights and spots.) The lance is from Spears of Destiny, also done up in two types of brass from HUS, and the skull is a freebie from Ravenous at Heromorph, resurfaced with the goredom shader. The floor, pool and side pillar are from Aikanaro, the back wall and support struts from Alchemy Chasm, all textured with the sandstone bricks from Pimp My Prop. The sides sides of the pool are actually done in the Aurora shader from 3DS Environments. Total build time, from start to final render and (very minimal) post in photoshop, was about four hours.

Edit: Forgot to mention that every single surface here, except the skull's teeth, is a shader. The only question I have is: Does a Minoton count as a costume or a prop?

Edit - resolved - it's a building kit bash & mino's a statue

Eligible for:
    Building Kit Bash

minoton_SM.jpg
    1346 x 2000 - 475K
    Post edited by Cybersox on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited January 2013

Outfits used.

Percy for Genesis - Arms and Knives.
    Heracles for Genesis - Boots
    Luthbel's Highlander - Chest strap
    Legion for Genesis - Top
    Pretorian for Genesis - Skirt
    Onyx - piercings
    Bobby25 Street Mage - Trousers.

Supersuit Shaders and Calida shaders
    Age of Armour's Metalized Glass shaders

Aprlyish's Ciri Hair with Destiny Garden's Hair Shaders.

goblin-kitbash-2.jpg
    1500 x 1060 - 424K
    Post edited by scorpio on
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

The only question I have is: Does a Minoton count as a costume or a prop?

That's a good question... we might need to think about a special prize for "Customized Figures." ;)

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2013

zigraphix said:
    The only question I have is: Does a Minoton count as a costume or a prop?
    That's a good question... we might need to think about a special prize for "Customized Figures." ;)

Hope so, 'cause that's seriously snazzy!

This is (again) not an entry because I’m posting it elsewhere, but I used MachPack (the white Flannel shader), DzFire's Real Metals (the Bright Gold Ratraced shader), and Gemologica (the Amazonite02 shader) to coordinate the Genesis Supersuit, the Ailell boots, and one of the Swords Fantastic with various bits of Our Lady of the Dragons. DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Princess, Warrior, Target.
    or: She Brought a Magic Sword to a Gun Fight

MagicSwordtoaGunFightB-x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited January 2013

My entry
    Title: Running for her!

Figures: She-Runner and Mostro (funny way to call him monster :) ), genesis like a girl and genesis like a monster.

She-Runner Clothes:

1.- Royal Elf - O Tunic
    2.- Journey Scout - Wristguards & Boots
    3.- Magus - Collar
    4.- Hitomi Lace Bottom
    5.- Renaissance Male - Belt

She-Runner Clothes Shaders: Marieah's Fabricator + Freebies for Fabricator + Tweak, Marieah's Leatherize, Marieah's Furify, Fisty's Jewells

She-Runner Skin shader: AoA's Metalized Glass (only eyes)

Mostro Clothes:

1.- Magus - Boots
    2.- Effortless Cool - Shirt & earrings
    3.- Sickle Leggins
    4.- Journey Scout - Wristguards
    5.- Sickle mantle

Mostro Clothes Shaders: Marieah's Fabricator+Tweak, Marieah's Pimp My Prop

Mostro Skin Shaders: Marieah's Pimp My Prop (Marble in skin, rock in nails and teeth), Marieah's Leatherize (Tongue), AoA's Metalized Glass (only eyes)

Render in DS4.5, No Postwork

Edit: For add detail render

mostro-him2.png
    430 x 860 - 792K
    mostro-her3.png
    498 x 860 - 672K
    mostro-clohim.png
    430 x 860 - 169K
    mostro-cloher.png
    430 x 860 - 183K
    Mostro2.png
    1243 x 860 - 2M
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Lizabet and the Plum Puddings

Just Jokin' Cuffs
    Just Jokin' Pants

Punked Top
    Punked Corset

Sparkelicious Socks
    Sparkelicious Boots

Wind Whistle Road Skirt

Puppy ruffs created in MD2

Shaders are my own experimentation with Poser shaders. Texture is a diamond pattern I created with Filter Forge which is used on all the clothing pieces. Transparency on cuffs, top, skirt, and puppy ruffs uses Marieah's Fablace MHL lace7.jpg.

Hair is created in Poser.

Lizabet-and-the-Plum-Puddings.jpg
    1296 x 1728 - 609K
    edited February 2013

Lizabet and the Plum Puddings

Nice!

So I’ve obviously been digging up and reloading a bunch of REALLY OLD poser files to see what can be done with them. Given that I really hadn't played with shaders much before this contest, it's been pretty educational to see how much one can pull out of these files, especially when you add in the wonders of Genesis, autofit and smoothing. Here’s my latest experiment – “Red Leopard Ninja.”

Costume:
    Darkworld Cheetarina Second Skin (Renderosity)
    Ravenous Evil Nurse Nursecoat (Heromorph freebie)
    V3 Habib from the old Daz free library
    Journeyer Scout Wristguards and Sash (DazZ)
    Dresscoat Italia Boots (Daz)

Set:
    Floor – Sparkyworld The Facility
    Walls
    1 - Sparkyworld SF Set
    2 – Sparkyworld The Ruins 4 (w rubble)
    3 – Poserworld Sauna

For the costume, I mainly used the “Fibrous Matte” shader from Hardcore Utility Shaders to tie everything together, resetting the difuse colors to various shades of red. The Boots are as is, but with red diffuse and I found a matching red trim for the Habib in the Supersuits presets. The brass on the claws are from HUS.
    Set is built in three layers, with all shaders coming from Pimp My Prop. The floor and the door trim on the closest wall are all Stone Blocks, with the surrounding wall elements being Stonewall 04. The scond layer is mostly Stone Blocks again, with Sand and Stone Seamless Dark on the ground debris. The last layer is Wooden Slats 02.

Eligible for:
    Clothing Kit Bash
    Building Kit Bash

Red_Ninja_Elements.jpg
    1000 x 707 - 189K
    Red_Ninja_SM.jpg
    1346 x 2000 - 494K
    edited January 2013

Entry # 2

Props:

Genesis V3 and instances
    Aikanaro - NoAiGround (water shader like sand)
    Alchemy Chasm - Doorway
    Spanish Villa - Grewölbe-gros
    Ancient part & Pieces - Kelch and Candle + Holder
    Leo Design Candle Set - Flame

Shader: Pimp My Prop

Clothes:
    Lotus A3 - Panty
    Sacred Luna, Boots, Shorts
    Sickle wrap top genesis
    Sickle Fingersless Gloves genesis
    Effortless Cool - Lace

Shaders: Leatherize, Fabricator, Furify and Jeweled Finery shaders

Render in DS4.5, No postwork

reduces file size version, original in https://www.dropbox.com/s/c97udce4c6tqt4x/temple4.png

temple4-2000.png
    1341 x 2000 - 4M
    edited December 1969

Original clothes and props

temple_props.png
    718 x 860 - 580K
    temple_clothes.png
    624 x 860 - 84K
    edited December 1969

Those wall sconces are clever! (Folks, be sure to look at the full-size version of this one!)

edited December 1969

This is a 4blueyes entry.

4blueyes items used
    Real Feel Pullover Genesis
    Elf Age Light
    Hot Chili V4/A4
    Pose comes from the Calander Girls pose set

The Boots are the Walkers
    The tights come from the Alfaseed set Oxygen for Genesis

Shaders on the clothing are from the supersuit shaders including the tights.

The prop was an Alfaseed (AerySoul) freebie Shaders applied are from Age of Armour's Metalized Glass Shaders for DAZ Studio and DLD Marble Shaders

Hair has Destiny Garden's hair shader applied.

4bleyes1.jpg
    988 x 1400 - 390K
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I have a few kit bashed costumes but I am not submitting anything being that I have to use shaders. They just don't look the same.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

I have a few kit bashed costumes but I am not submitting anything being that I have to use shaders. They just don't look the same.

:-/ Since the point of the contest is to celebrate shaders and encourage their use, I'd say that requiring them's a reasonable rule. Other rules I might take issue with . . . not that one.
    edited January 2013

It is, I am just completely stuck when it comes to thinking what I could do so I don't think I will submit anything. Same happened last year.

I have a kit basked spiderman but if I apply any shaders to it it won't look like spiderman any more same thing for my other stuff

The other thing is I use lot of of individual clothing pieces, Pants, shoes, shirts and what not so I am not sure if the pieces have to be from full sets.

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited February 2013

And another one... this was actually originally going to be for the monthly challenge, but by the time I got done with it, it was almost entirely covered in shaders so...

The caption for this little scene is: "Taken Prisoner by the Adorable But Terrifying Kutziwootzi Tribe, the captured Goth Tribe Warrior had no choice except to endure the horrific ritual the Kutziwootzis called a "Makeover."

ITEMS USED:

KutziWootzi Warriors -
    Dress, Sandals, Spear and necklace from AL3d’s Jungle In My Heart
    Spear, waist cord and boots from BC Complete Kit by Shadownet/LWPerkins
    Legwraps, necklace, waistvines, loincloth and top from CaveDweller by Pixeluna, Shadownet & Ghostman
    Spear, Loincloth, top and arm ornament from Raven Elf Warrior by Cole4965
    Cat Ears from Catgirl for Genesis by MAB and WIllDupre

Goth Warrior -
    Armcovers and legwraps from CaveDweller by Pixeluna, Shadownet & Ghostman
    Breastcaps from Marilee Gear by Cole4965 (covered with fur)
    Necklace from BC Mega Pack by Shadownet/LWPerkins
    Teardrop Bikini and Thiggity Thong by FleshForge
    Belly Piercing Freebie by 3DC

Props
    Baby Penguin, Pygmy Goat are old Content Paradise freebies
    Furred Statue is the SA Kitty Mass Production robot from Poser 2012 free content
    Small figure is Koshini 2 from RDNA
    Bearskin Rug is from the old Daz Freebie Library
    Lipstick from Lips & Hips by Oskarson

SET
    Back walls and foreground rocks on floor Alchemy Chasm
    Landbridge and misc stalagmites, stalactites from the old Daz Mil Dragon Lair (Old Daz Freebie Library)
    Groundplane from the Facility by Sparkyworld

SHADERS
    Costumes – For the KutziWootzis, the major players are the Astroturf shader from Pimp My Prop, recolored via diffuse and image, and a variety of colored metal and plastic shaders from the Supersuit bundle on the Kutsis, their weapons and animal tokens. The Goth Tribe Warrior is done up in the brown and white fur shaders from the Supersuit Bundle (re-colored black and grey,) onyx naugahyde and coal pleather from the DLD leather shaders, with a bit of the greystone pleather from DLD Leather on the leg and armcover trim.

Set – this is a straight Pimp My Prop set, with granite and stone seamless Dark on the far walls, stonewall 02 on the ground rocks, ground rocky on the main rock formations and Sand on the cave floor.

Props – Spears are a mix of colored wire and plastic from the SuperSuits and Astroturf from Pimp My Prop. Cat sculpture is Astroturf, plus rock from DLD Stone SHaders on the face. Koshini is Bone from DLD Stone SHaders, rug is white fur from Supersuits, lipstick is pink metal and plastic from Supersuits, plus brass from Hardcore Utility shaders.

Eligible for:
    Clothing Kit Bash
    Building Kit Bash

cave_girls_Final_SM.jpg
    2000 x 1414 - 584K
    edited February 2013

Another Entry

Shaders: Fabricator + tweak, Pimp my prop, Furify + tweak
    Edit: Pheasant Layer from: http://www.patterncooler.com/editor/ , pattern 107

Clothes:

Muse for Genesis - Side Panels, Blouse
    Tie-On Fantasy Sleevess
    Royal Elf - Headpiece, Belt, Boots
    Magus - Earring, Collar
    Sickle Leggins
    Knotts in Knotty Tails Hair

DS4.5 Render, No postwork

fanclo.png
    1243 x 860 - 375K
    Fantasika_1.jpg
    1086 x 1500 - 799K
    edited December 1969

It is, I am just completely stuck when it comes to thinking what I could do so I don't think I will submit anything. Same happened last year.

I have a kit basked spiderman but if I apply any shaders to it it won't look like spiderman any more same thing for my other stuff

The other thing is I use lot of of individual clothing pieces, Pants, shoes, shirts and what not so I am not sure if the pieces have to be from full sets.

No, the pieces don't need to be from full sets, if you mean the pieces need to have come from a set containing a complete outfit. Individually sold clothing items are well within the intent of the contest. The idea is to use shaders to help pieces go together that weren't originally made to do so. Spiderman wouldn't be a good chice for this, because his costume is little more than a bodysuit, but Wonder Woman or Thor might. Comic book heroes tend to be difficult because often there is a logo somewhere, so you can't use a repeating pattern for that portion of the outfit.

Actually, Warlock (New Mutants) would be perfect for this.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

|:| The Aquarian Transport |:|

Prop Kit items:
    -David D'Champ's Victorian Diving Bell
    -Poserworks Monopod
    -Herminio's United Federation Gallactic Cruiser

Clothing Kit Items:
    -V4 morphs ++ and creature creator morphs used for Corvas' Underwater Creature Morphs, wearing a 2nd skin suit made using the rubber shader
    -Appleyard's Divers Fin
    -Appleyard's Divers Knife and Sheath
    -OP's Diving Tank Helmet
    (two links provided to show they are separate items)

Shaders Used:
    -Andreolicg's RubberLatex Shaders
    -Fisty's Liquid Shaders (glass)
    -Haze's Ultimate Shader Pack
    -WOS Satin Shaders

created using DS4.5 Pro and PSP XI

also used: ReikaKano's mecha octopus, karlandreas fish obj, schmietendorfs aquarium props, anabran's squelly fish, hoagland's fishing pole, herminio's rigian city, calida's treasure chest, and content paradise's whooping crane

rawelements.png
    1800 x 1800 - 836K
    aquarium_elements.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 295K
    edited February 2013

Don’t ask.

Just don’t ask. %-P

But proof that shaders can make anyone look better, no?

Items used:

Muse for Genesis by Daz/Ravenhair (top and slippers)
    B25Silky Dress (cut-off for skirt)
    Mall Girl Tights
    Trixie hair

Shaders used

Fabricator – Top – sleeves Brocade Purple, torso – Stripes Multi, skirt – stripes pink + silk jersey weave, slippers – spots multi for body.

DLD Leather –Mauve sued (soles of slippers)

Age of Armor Metalized glass shaders on slipper ornaments

Destiny’s Garden Hair Shader Presets on hair

Eligible for:
    Clothing Kit Bash

Bad_ass_freak_5.jpg
    1546 x 2000 - 484K
  • MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I'm a long time Harryhausen fan, so as soon as I saw the new Bot for Genesis from Parris, I knew I had to kit-bash it with Raw Art's Tauran 2 to recreate Minoton from SINBAD & THE EYE OF THE TIGER. I ended up using just about every brass shader I had... from the Supersuits, Hardcore Utility Shaders, DLD Metalic shaders, and the new Metal Glass shaders from Age of Armor, as well as a sizable number of copper and a few bits of aluminum. Most of the innards were rendered with the extruded brass and copper shaders from HUS to break down the more robotic look of the original figure and give it a more "hollow, run by magic appearance." Most of the red glows came from the supersuit shaders, as did the orange glow in the lava (the yellow is point lights and spots.) The lance is from Spears of Destiny, also done up in two types of brass from HUS, and the skull is a freebie from Ravenous at Heromorph, resurfaced with the goredom shader. The floor, pool and side pillar are from Aikanaro, the back wall and support struts from Alchemy Chasm, all textured with the sandstone bricks from Pimp My Prop. The sides sides of the pool are actually done in the Aurora shader from 3DS Environments. Total build time, from start to final render and (very minimal) post in photoshop, was about four hours.

Edit: Forgot to mention that every single surface here, except the skull's teeth, is a shader. The only question I have is: Does a Minoton count as a costume or a prop?

Sorry I've been out of action for a bit. We had terrible storms here, and the damage meant we had no power for five days.

There's some excellent work posted here so keep them coming...

On the subject of the Minoton, if it's a figure, it doesn't count. It will need clothing from three different sets to count. But there's nothing to stop you from applying the brass shader to the clothing...Or it will need to be in a setting containing props from two different building sets with shaders applied.

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    On the subject of the Minoton, if it's a figure, it doesn't count. It will need clothing from three different sets to count. But there's nothing to stop you from applying the brass shader to the clothing...Or it will need to be in a setting containing props from two different building sets with shaders applied.

The render already definitely meets the qualifications for a set, so let's call the Minoton a statue (which he is, albeit an animated one,) and consider him part of the set dressing. :)

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:

The render already definitely meets the qualifications for a set, so let's call the Minoton a statue (which he is, albeit an animated one,) and consider him part of the set dressing. :)

That's good to hear because it's a very nice render. :-)

edited February 2013

Here’s an entry for the challenge for using only non-cloth shaders, as well as the general clothing contest.:

Items used:
    Pants – Marauder by Zachary
    Tanksuit – H3Deamessenger
    Skirt – French Temptation by Mike2010
    Boots - Journeyer Scout (cuffs and buckles dialed to invisible in final)
    Gloves – Aery Soul Black Lotus (straps and Spikes removed in final.)

The set piece is a very small section of the new SciFi Rooftops set from 3DC
    (Figure is a Genesis mix of Satsuki and YTJulie, with skin textures from Freja’s Bindi and Wild Hair by MostDigital)

Shaders used:

The costume is done entirely with Fisty and Shadowhawk1’s magnificent Hardcore Utility Shaders... (I actually had to include a blow up, as the details are so fine):
    Expanded Titanium
    Hammered Titanium R&M
    Hammered Aluminum R&M
    Shiny Titanium R&M
    Shiny Aluminum R&M
    Shiny Steel R&M
    Rubber (shoe soles only)

In addition, the set uses Dark Gray and Dove Grey from DLD Stone Shaders, and Basic Black from the DLD Metallic Shaders

Eligible for:
    Clothing Kit Bash
    Clothing Kit Bash Using Non Cloth Shaders

metal_suit_1_SM_--_items_used.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 408K
    Metal_suit_1_SM.jpg
    1546 x 2000 - 733K
    Metal_suit_1_SM_detail.jpg
    856 x 1259 - 541K
    edited February 2013

Going through the old V4 files, I thought I’d take a shot at making 4blueyes Angelina Assassin just a little more practical for field work.

Items used:
    Pants & Top from Assassin Angel Victoria 4 by 4Blueyes
    Gloves from Liquid Halo for Genesis by DAZ/xenic101/Uzilite
    Shoe are from the V4 Running Shoes Pack by DAZ/Serrge
    Collar from V4 Domino by DAZ/Lourdes
    Kneepads from Marauders for Genesis, also by DAZ/Lourdes
    Belt/Holsters from Omega Huntress by DAZ/Luthbel
    Gun from Bad Cop by Halcyone

Costume Shaders Used:
    Supersuit bundle – Razzberry Suede and Purple
    DLD Metal shaders - Grape and Orchid
    DLD Leather Shaders - White, Ecru and Egshell in Naugahyde, Soft Leather, Ultra Soft Suede and Pleather
    Leather texture from Fabricator
    Spidercracks from Hybrid Grunge Ragerator

Set
    The Base is A BRIGHT LOFT, by Bluebird 3D, but I turned it into A DARK WAREHOUSE OF MASS DESTRUCTION, burying it an avalanche of PIMP MY PROP shaders that were then dirtied even further with multiple overlays of rust, dirt and rag filters from the Hybrid Grunge bundle. Props are a handful of the original shelves and fixtures, plus a huge assortment of 3DC and Mr. Sparky props… way too many to name, even if they had a name beyond 03 and box2. All of the above also got the Hybrid Grunge treatment, metal surfaces were added from DLD Metallic shaders and the green glow on the bombs and the blue glow in the lamp are both FX shaders from the Supersuit bundle.

Eligible for:
    Clothing Kit Bash
    Clothing Kit Bash Using a 4blueyes Product
    Building Kit Bash

Angelina_CLose_upl.jpg
    1994 x 1496 - 734K
    Angelina_final_MED.jpg
    2000 x 1081 - 829K
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

There's some sort of button/function for selecting all of the adjacent faces when adding new material zones. Really comes in handing when you need to separate a large section but I can't remember what it is.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

What about custom made clothes we make ourselves from scratch?

edited December 1969

What about custom made clothes we make ourselves from scratch?

I see no problem with custom clothes as part of the image. The point is to use shaders to combine and coordinate items from multiple sources, however.

edited February 2013
    03.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 85K
    02.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 93K
    01.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 99K
    pieces.jpg
    1481 x 1944 - 222K
    ninja_master_01.jpg
    1030 x 1456 - 497K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited December 1969

Nice mix John

edited February 2013

I guess this is for the CLOTHING KIT BASH Ninja Master Keno Created in DS4.5

Very nice, but given the current hullabaloo about linking to outside stores, you might want to replace all those RP links with jpegs.