How to reduce texture quality for IRAY "instant preview"? (need it to be faster)

I can get instanteous updates with a fully naked character, but as soon as I add clothes, there's a 10-20 second delay.

Anyone here know if there's a way to modify clothes so they render faster? I don't mind if the quality is bad. The clothes will just be a placeholder.

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

render a small resolution image 200x200 (yes two hundred) say, and leave it open; it will let your renders show faster; just be aware that it will take up a small amount of extra RAM.

• nicstt said:

render a small resolution image 200x200 (yes two hundred) say, and leave it open; it will let your renders show faster; just be aware that it will take up a small amount of extra RAM.

Do you mean a second instance of daz studio and keep it cooking or do you mean a single instance, small render and leave the completed render open?

• nicstt said:

Do you mean a second instance of daz studio and keep it cooking or do you mean a single instance, small render and leave the completed render open?

I also would like an elaboration on this.  If this really works, I want to know how to do it..

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited February 2017

Just a small render and leave the render window open. It speeds things up because everything is already loaded into the card's RAM. The render doesn't need to be completed, it just needs to run to the point when the image appears in the render window. At that point all of the geometry and materials are loaded.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

The render window trick works by keeping the scene database in memory. When you close the window after a render, it flushes the memory, and you have to start all over again next render. You don't get a time savings if you change scene by a great deal, but it's good for general posing.

For your question on the preview, remember the Aux Window. Dock it to a panel where you can still have access to your render settings. Make it small. The smaller the window the faster the update. You can also split-screen two windows, and render one using Iray, and keep the other as normal shaded for posing.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Any chance the render window trick will work with CPU-only renders too?

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

It shouldn't matter if it's CPU or GPU. The scene database is created CPU only, anyway.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Tobor said:

It shouldn't matter if it's CPU or GPU. The scene database is created CPU only, anyway.

Thanks @Tobor!