Star Trek Builders Unite 3 “Runtime Amok”

Comments

• bytorrewbytorrew Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

I think it is Starship Bridge 3.

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

The uniforms are a bit shiny for my personal taste, but it's a beautiful image.

• DemonslayerDemonslayer Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

Is anyone here good at conforming clothing to work with a character? I'm working on the TOS silver space suits from "The Tholian Web" and I want to be able to make them work as add-on pieces to the bodysuits/catsuits etc of all the figure types. Any assistance will be to the benefit of the community as I intend to release this when done. The suit is entirely finished, but not conformed yet. And I think you'll all be pleased. :)

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Demonslayer, why don't you start a WIP thread and show us what you're doing... it'll be easier to get help that way, I think.

• DemonslayerDemonslayer Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'll do that soon. Right now, I have the male suit in the T position. Helmet, attachments, hose connectors, etc. are on there, and colored correctly. It's still in 3ds Max right now.

edited December 1969

Well, there goes my project. I had hoped to be the first.

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited January 2013

Looks good. And all the uniforms are so shiny...

Which bridge set is that?

David

david ,
    its bridge 3 from vanishing point .i believe its over at renderosity

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/starship-bridge-3-poser-obj-/64362

Full64362.jpg
    800 x 450 - 59K
    Post edited by bluto on
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    Looks good. And all the uniforms are so shiny...

Which bridge set is that?

David

david ,
    its bridge 3 from vanishing point .i believe its over at renderosity

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/starship-bridge-3-poser-obj-/64362

Yep, that's the one I've been using myself.

Though Defiant style bridges seem more appropriate for Imperial vessels.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:

Funny enough, Thalek and I discussed the Tholian suits via domestic e-mail just last week. We, well, I wondered why the heck did they have the "visor" (achieved in RL with a fine wire mesh screen) run down the back of the helmet where it would be of no use to any human save Linda Blaire in "The Exorcist".

When you think about it, the mesh solution for the visor was a stroke genius. Most sci-fi space helmets at that time used either a solid plate of clear material that was prone to fogging, limiting the actor's air supply and muffling their lines, or, the clear material had a series of small holes (or even a whopping big one right at the mouth region) viewers were just supposed to ignore. Mike Minor and Bill Theiss used a fine mesh that created an intriguing "polarized" effect on 1960s TVs (the "restored" footage on modern hi-def screens reveal the mesh for what it really is, sadly), and it provided unrestricted air flow and couldn't "fog".

But to this day I can't figure out why the "visor" went all the way down the back. Were the actors so vain (not singling out any specific performer) that they just HAD to get as much "face time" as possible, even if it was the back of his head?! ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Maybe it made construction just a little faster and easier? The suits cost them about a half day in shooting delays even before they arrived on-set. And now that I'm looking at the reference images, it appears that the suits were a problem once on the set, too. (Not counting that every time an actor needed to heed the call of nature, they had to be unsewn from their costume and sewn back in again.) If you look at the sequence where McCoy's hand goes through a man, the hose is missing. And Kirk's black hose apparently gets torn off when Chapel removes his helmet.

Thanks again for the link to the reference images, Bill!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Thalek said:

Funny enough, Thalek and I discussed the Tholian suits via domestic e-mail just last week. We, well, I wondered why the heck did they have the "visor" (achieved in RL with a fine wire mesh screen) run down the back of the helmet where it would be of no use to any human save Linda Blaire in "The Exorcist".

When you think about it, the mesh solution for the visor was a stroke genius. Most sci-fi space helmets at that time used either a solid plate of clear material that was prone to fogging, limiting the actor's air supply and muffling their lines, or, the clear material had a series of small holes (or even a whopping big one right at the mouth region) viewers were just supposed to ignore. Mike Minor and Bill Theiss used a fine mesh that created an intriguing "polarized" effect on 1960s TVs (the "restored" footage on modern hi-def screens reveal the mesh for what it really is, sadly), and it provided unrestricted air flow and couldn't "fog".

But to this day I can't figure out why the "visor" went all the way down the back. Were the actors so vain (not singling out any specific performer) that they just HAD to get as much "face time" as possible, even if it was the back of his head?! ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

Lighting, to be able to see "any" of the face/head. Hats cause shadows too. Ever notice how so often they are pushed back or to the side? Wind would blow them off in RL. Want lighting from behind too ... for the same reasons one would want lighting behind figures not wearing helmets.

One light behind the head and small plane representing a solid back of helmet. No top/sides/or face shield.

why_the_back_has_to_be_open.jpg
    600 x 600 - 23K
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Food for thought: If the older Jim Kirk from the movies could travel back in time, find his younger self and tell him of the years to come- all the wrong turns and choices that he'd make in his private life- would the younger Kirk actually listen or go on to screw up his life anyway?

edited December 1969

Good possibility, Patience. Especially given that the suits were mostly seen in low light to start with.

Madison, I think that younger Kirk would listen, but still make his own decisions. He's real big about "being his own man", even when there are alternatives. Look how angry he was at the Organians. [grin]

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    Good possibility, Patience. Especially given that the suits were mostly seen in low light to start with.

Madison, I think that younger Kirk would listen, but still make his own decisions. He's real big about "being his own man", even when there are alternatives. Look how angry he was at the Organians. [grin]

So you're saying he'd be too stuborn to listen to his own voice of experience?

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Thalek said:

He might have made different mistakes ... wisdom comes with age with experience; not in youth with knowledge. Dream of many is to have their wisdom of age mixed with the strength of youth.

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    I speculate that parenting one prop to another will drag both into the setup room, but I haven't tried it yet.

Good tip, sir. I'll try that tomorrow, if time permits.

Tried that but it didn't work

edited December 1969

Is anyone here good at conforming clothing to work with a character? I'm working on the TOS silver space suits from "The Tholian Web" and I want to be able to make them work as add-on pieces to the bodysuits/catsuits etc of all the figure types. Any assistance will be to the benefit of the community as I intend to release this when done. The suit is entirely finished, but not conformed yet. And I think you'll all be pleased. :)

T is good.
    If rigging in D/S the item needs to be grouped to match all the relevant body sections. That needs to be done in the modeler.
    The export of the item also needs to match with import settings in D/S so that the item imports at the correct size "on" the figure in the loading position T.

In exporting the .obj files from Max, ditch the triangles, stick with quads.

edited December 1969

Thalek said:

Oh come now. "The more the merrier" ;-)

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Thalek said:

I think that he wouldn't allow himself to be a slave to destiny. And I think he'd understand that the very first time he did something different, it would change the time line. Some of the old causes no longer exist to create the effects. What was once a certainty has receded again to merely being a possibility.

And as Patience pointed out, he'd make new mistakes, as well.

So, I think he'd listen to the voice of experience, but still make his own decisions. Some of those decisions would be the same. Some would be different, based on what he'd been told, or because the circumstances had changed.

That's what I meant by the more compressed statement I made.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'll do that soon. Right now, I have the male suit in the T position. Helmet, attachments, hose connectors, etc. are on there, and colored correctly. It's still in 3ds Max right now.

Don't leave us "hanging" like this. At least post a "clay" render of the native .MAX data.

Thalek is probably our best expert on the Tholian EVA suits. I'm sure he's bursting at the seams to view it as well. I know I am!

Sincerely,

Bill

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

All,

For those who have been following my Mirror Mirror series may or may not know on the very last page I advertise a hint of the characters to expect in the next issue. Klingons are making their appearance in the next issue...so yah that means all the renders are done but the last page.

I need a bit of feed back about this morph. this isn't a displacement map or bump but an actual morph of v4 via zbrush.

changes?

suggestions?

klingon_test.jpg
    618 x 800 - 251K
    klingon1.jpg
    1028 x 939 - 251K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    All,

For those who have been following my Mirror Mirror series may or may not know on the very last page I advertise a hint of the characters to expect in the next issue. Klingons are making their appearance in the next issue...so yah that means all the renders are done but the last page.

I need a bit of feed back about this morph. this isn't a displacement map or bump but an actual morph of v4 via zbrush.

changes?

suggestions?

Klingons are a tough one to nail. Looking at pics of actors in makeup versus yours I'd say that yours seems a tad soft. Its lacking more defined details. But I guess that also depends on what era you're looking to do.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    PDSmith said:
    All,

changes?

suggestions?

Klingons are a tough one to nail. Looking at pics of actors in makeup versus yours I'd say that yours seems a tad soft. Its lacking more defined details. But I guess that also depends on what era you're looking to do.

the problem I'm finding is I can subdivide the mesh once in zbrush if I'm useing genesis but not at all if v4. In V4's case as you saw the ridges are soft as you said. for genesis the problem is I'm extremely limited with outfits. auto fit and the smoothing modifier as ineffective for armour and outfit selections.

The era is post-TNG and cross breeding klingon's and humans in the Empire is pretty much the same as saying you're a Vulcan...death sentence.

ideas anyone?

-Paul

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    Mattymanx said:
    PDSmith said:
    All,

changes?

suggestions?

the problem I'm finding is I can subdivide the mesh once in zbrush if I'm useing genesis but not at all if v4. In V4's case as you saw the ridges are soft as you said. for genesis the problem is I'm extremely limited with outfits. auto fit and the smoothing modifier as ineffective for armour and outfit selections.

The era is post-TNG and cross breeding klingon's and humans in the Empire is pretty much the same as saying you're a Vulcan...death sentence.

ideas anyone?

-Paul

paul , would you perhaps like to use a morph inj pose i made some time ago that works on both m4 and v4 to make klingons?

Render_1.jpg
    823 x 506 - 23K
    edited December 1969

i think i have mannaged to take quite a bit of shiny off of the uniforms for my re imagined project

all_clear.jpg
    790 x 575 - 43K
    edited December 1969

bluto said:

paul , would you perhaps like to use a morph inj pose i made some time ago that works on both m4 and v4 to make klingons?

I'd love to, as of right now I came across a serious problem. I'm unable to save the morph I made in zbrush once it's imported back into daz. the tutorial video shows everything how to do the process...just not how to save the morph.

anyone know how to do that in daz? I'm seriously disappointed I can't save as a fc2 file. shareing and such would be so much easier.

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    All,

changes?

suggestions?

I use a morph for V4 I found over at Renderosity a long while back. The forums over there are playing up this morning but I'll do a serch later and find the link for you if you want
    Klingon_Study_2.jpg
    725 x 725 - 279K
  • edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    bluto said:

I'd love to, as of right now I came across a serious problem. I'm unable to save the morph I made in zbrush once it's imported back into daz. the tutorial video shows everything how to do the process...just not how to save the morph.

anyone know how to do that in daz? I'm seriously disappointed I can't save as a fc2 file. shareing and such would be so much easier.

If you were doing it in Poser, I'd say save the whole head as an .OBJ file and load it as a morph target. But, I don't know how to do that in daz. Sorry.

edited December 1969

Redfern said:

Don't leave us "hanging" like this. At least post a "clay" render of the native .MAX data.

Thalek is probably our best expert on the Tholian EVA suits. I'm sure he's bursting at the seams to view it as well. I know I am!

Sincerely,

Bill

I won't call myself an expert, but I did own a lovely replica made by Andy Monsen and Roberta Brubaker. I can't recall if I've posted that image here or not.

Yeah, "bursting at the seams" is how I feel right now, and let me tell you, it's not something you want to have happen while wearing an environmental suit! [grin]

This discussion has been closed.