Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• TheKD said:

Has LAMH pro been updated to work with G3 UV sets?

Hello, the G3 fix will come in next update, which is coming very soon, roughly another two weeks.
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    TheKD said:

Has LAMH pro been updated to work with G3 UV sets?

Hello, the G3 fix will come in next update, which is coming very soon, roughly another two weeks.

Nice, updates are free, or should I just wait to buy until then?

• This next update will be indeed free...

This next update will be indeed free...

Thanks, hopefully will be bought tonight then :D 

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995

The update is waiting on some final changes to support some of the models that are from RDNA that have newly entered the DAZ store.  These are almost complete.

Kendall

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I had no idea figures had official support.  Does this mean that the Hivewire figures are not supported then?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,887

That's weird, considering I can give random objects fur...

There are figures from RDNA that are done in ways that are "different" from how things are normally done.  These models needed special coding to work.  The models from HW tend to follow the standard methods.

Kendall

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Thanks Ken! 

edited April 2016

I bought it, getting it registered or whatever it's called was fairly simple. Awaiting the update, will start to play with it with at least animals probably next week. Probably give the horse 2 a try, I use horse 2 pretty often for unicorn images.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I would love to use Real Fur in Iray animations (not necessarily in animating the hair itself, but just having real looking fur for say a Big Cat 2 in jungle scene).

Is this something possible yet or in the foreseeable future for Iray?

And if so, what kind of render times would I be looking at with 2 x 980 Tis GPUs?  For example, currently I render at 1920 x 1080, 400 iterations, and that typically takes 1.5 to 2 minutes a frame with an average size scene of 3.5 GB memory load. I see some scary render times listed, but I'm not looking for 95% convergency, typically 80% is good enough.

edited May 2016

I would love to use Real Fur in Iray animations (not necessarily in animating the hair itself, but just having real looking fur for say a Big Cat 2 in jungle scene).

Is this something possible yet or in the foreseeable future for Iray?

And if so, what kind of render times would I be looking at with 2 x 980 Tis GPUs?  For example, currently I render at 1920 x 1080, 400 iterations, and that typically takes 1.5 to 2 minutes a frame with an average size scene of 3.5 GB memory load. I see some scary render times listed, but I'm not looking for 95% convergency, typically 80% is good enough.

There is currently an issue with animation in LAMH where the fur may "shift" between frames.  This is mainly an issue for clumping and "close up" views.  This IS an issue that will be fixed as I am an animator myself.  Whether the fix gets into the current 1.x updates or is a v2 fix hasn't been decided.

The larger problem is a lack of realistic animal motions.

EDIT:  For motions/sequences that are subtle movements (muscle flexing, slow stalking, etc), outputting a FiberHair preset and attaching that to the figure may get you what you need for animating.  Large changes in position (running, spurting, jumping) may or may not cause unrealistic fur motion with this method.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on

Ok, I have been trying to get this to work with iray, with no luck. My last try, I exported as OBJ after setting it all up, with 6 million as the export setting, it keeps taking longer to render out, but the fur is not visible on render. I am using horse 2.0 if that matters. I tried rendering it is it comes in, adding different hair and fiberhair shaders I have. I always cannot see any hair in render. I was trying to follow the wolf tutorial as best I can, although I have the pro version. I left the hair settings at white, because as far as I can tell, that is how I make it take on the color from the texture map of the horse. :(

TheKD said:

Ok, I have been trying to get this to work with iray, with no luck. My last try, I exported as OBJ after setting it all up, with 6 million as the export setting, it keeps taking longer to render out, but the fur is not visible on render. I am using horse 2.0 if that matters. I tried rendering it is it comes in, adding different hair and fiberhair shaders I have. I always cannot see any hair in render. I was trying to follow the wolf tutorial as best I can, although I have the pro version. I left the hair settings at white, because as far as I can tell, that is how I make it take on the color from the texture map of the horse. :(

If using the Full version:

1) load the figure

2) go into the LAMH UI

3) Load the figure into the LAMH Viewport

4) Load your preset

5) Click on the blue "FiberHair" button

6) In the dialog *MAKE SURE* that the "Load in Studio" is checked.

click on the export button and you should now see the actual fiberhair on your figure.  If you are seeing "green lines" on your figure in the DS viewport, then you are still using the 3Delight hairs that will not show in Iray.

Kendall

• 6 million hair? Wow that's really a lot. To see if things work (export and render), try something like 300K hair. Then increase the quantity later

TheKD said:

edited May 2016

Ugh, my latest stab at it resulted in this :(   Any idea what would cause such a thing? Looks like I am gonna have to start over though. I didn't move the horse or anything, that was what happened right after exporting to obj. To clarify, I exported from the editor, not the widget docked on the left. Also added what it looks like in editor as well, in case that is of any help.

WTF.jpg
    1440 x 854 - 464K
    editor.jpg
    1091 x 854 - 445K
    Post edited by TheKD on
  • Hello, difficulto to say but isn't perhaps that you applied a pose preset (at least it seems so because the model is not at zero pose)? In any case, if you saved the preset to .lmh, you can restart DS/LAMH, reload the preset and export again.

TheKD said:

Ugh, my latest stab at it resulted in this :(   Any idea what would cause such a thing? Looks like I am gonna have to start over though. I didn't move the horse or anything, that was what happened right after exporting to obj. To clarify, I exported from the editor, not the widget docked on the left. Also added what it looks like in editor as well, in case that is of any help.

edited May 2016

What does the polygon compression setting in the fiberhair window do?

One thing I noticed is that it likes to crash studio when changing between shave groups quickly.

Post edited by TheKD on
    TheKD said:

What does the polygon compression setting in the fiberhair window do?

One thing I noticed is that it likes to crash studio when changing between shave groups quickly.

It controls the amount of compression on the FiberHair.  The higher you make it the better the compression but the more "jagged" the hairs will become.

We've never had any reports of crashing during this operation, please forward a logFile.txt after your next crash to krsears (at) trdc.biz.  It needs to be done before the next run of DS because the log is overwritten on each run of DS.

Kendall

I tried to make it happen again on purpose to get a log to send, didn't work lol. Maybe there was something wrong with the preset I had saved or something, I deleted it after I did my final render, so can't test that theory out. Maybe it was corrupted or something.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Not sure where this quirk lies, but - create new LAMH, expoer, etc., etc. All well and good.  Now, having rendered and wanting to go and do something else that will not use LAMH I close the LAMH window.  What also happens is that I now no longer have the File> New (nor Ctrl-N) option active anymore back in DS.

SimonJM said:

Not sure where this quirk lies, but - create new LAMH, expoer, etc., etc. All well and good.  Now, having rendered and wanting to go and do something else that will not use LAMH I close the LAMH window.  What also happens is that I now no longer have the File> New (nor Ctrl-N) option active anymore back in DS.

We don't do anything with the DS UI at all in LAMH. That is completely controlled by Studio.  You may have run into the "missing menu items" quirk in DS.  Try resetting your Theme or Style settings to get DS to reload the menus.

Kendall

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    SimonJM said:

We don't do anything with the DS UI at all in LAMH. That is completely controlled by Studio.  You may have run into the "missing menu items" quirk in DS.  Try resetting your Theme or Style settings to get DS to reload the menus.

Kendall

It's (and so far as I can tell it's only the one menu item that gets disabled) just the File> New option, and it is enabled to start with, then disabled once you shut the LAMH dialog, and returns on a restart of DS.

SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:

Kendall

It's (and so far as I can tell it's only the one menu item that gets disabled) just the File> New option, and it is enabled to start with, then disabled once you shut the LAMH dialog, and returns on a restart of DS.

That's curious.  We literally do nothing with the DAZ UI after registering the plugin at DS startup.  When you say "LAMH dialog" are you talking about the LAMH PANE, export dialog, or the full UI window?

Kendall

That bugzilla page for the beta linked in the product library, keeps just timing out on me.

TheKD said:

That bugzilla page for the beta linked in the product library, keeps just timing out on me.

I am being forced to change datacenters for that specific server.  It will be down for a bit while the transition occurs.

Kendall

TheKD said:

I am being forced to change datacenters for that specific server.  It will be down for a bit while the transition occurs.

Kendall

OK, will check back at a later date.

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 593

Hi guys, very pleased to have just purchased the plugin. Is there anything I need to know before I install it? Am I right in thinking I need to uninstall the free player first? 

Cheers

Lorraine

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited May 2016

Hi guys, very pleased to have just purchased the plugin. Is there anything I need to know before I install it? Am I right in thinking I need to uninstall the free player first? 

Cheers

Lorraine

Yes Lorraine, Uninstall the player first!
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Sorry, this has surely already been asked but 47 pages is a lot to get through... Does it work with Iray? (If not can you add the Iray uber shader to it?)

Also, how hard is it to use for someone who is more artsy than geeky LOL? I just started with DS in March and finding it difficult without a good manual so wondering how difficult this would be. Thanks.