Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Soon to come in the FREE LAMH Player and LAMH 1.1 update... the Human Hair Shader will bring more realistic lighting on your human models!

That does look amazingly good, probably the best I have seen yet. So with the player or the main program, a user can import that specific hairstyle and shader?

Correct. The player will read all preset properties and besides that you will be able to tweak and modify all those (expect styling of course), so that you can change colors, hair count, hair thickness etc.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Question: will the free player need activation too?

Do you want to activate it? :-)

Kendall

No, I don't like those activation thingies. That's why I asked.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

I just LOVE how this hair came out!! This is a hair preset I made for V5but quit at some point because I got lazy .... haha... decided to load it on Young Teen Julie and tweaked it a bit..

And I LOVE how it turned out!!! I just love how pretty the hair is. :) Alex gave me the tip that I was using too high of a hair count which not only was not kind of my rendering time, but made me loose hair detail. I decreased the hair count and think it looks SO much more detailed. Do you like it? The hair pulls back in 5 gathers and I mean to add some primitive circles to look like hair bands but forgot. ^^

JulieRubyHair.jpg
    634 x 870 - 669K
  • edited December 1969

It's incredible to see how many awesome renders and images users are able to create with LAMH. In my opinion it is the best piece of software ever done for Studio! Alessandro, that Human Hair Shader is going to rock for sure, love the natural look it gives to the hair. Is it very difficult to tune all the settings?

edited December 1969

I just LOVE how this hair came out!! This is a hair preset I made for V5but quit at some point because I got lazy .... haha... decided to load it on Young Teen Julie and tweaked it a bit..

And I LOVE how it turned out!!! I just love how pretty the hair is. :) Alex gave me the tip that I was using too high of a hair count which not only was not kind of my rendering time, but made me loose hair detail. I decreased the hair count and think it looks SO much more detailed. Do you like it? The hair pulls back in 5 gathers and I mean to add some primitive circles to look like hair bands but forgot. ^^

Wow that's gorgeous Alia! I can't wait to see that rendered with the human hair shader... :)

edited December 1969

It's incredible to see how many awesome renders and images users are able to create with LAMH. In my opinion it is the best piece of software ever done for Studio! Alessandro, that Human Hair Shader is going to rock for sure, love the natural look it gives to the hair. Is it very difficult to tune all the settings?

Hi Richard, thanks for your kind words. About the human hair shader settings, while featuring about 30 parameters (so you get the idea of how complex it is), only ten of those are the one you will most likely be fiddling with.

• DievansDievans Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

dievans said:
    Alessandro, thanks for this truly awesome plugin. The presets are extremely helpful too. Here's my first try using the Mil Cat preset, rendered in Octane. Any advice for importing the obj into Vue? Vue appears to be stopping about 1/4 the way through the import, but it could be that it just takes a really long time and I'm not being patient.

Hi dievans, thanks to you for supporting Look at my Hair: I'm glad you are enjoying using it.
    The composition you did is truly remarkable, and besides the exceptional lighting, the way you have designed and placed all the models is just outstanding.
    What size is the OBJ you are trying to import in Vue? Luca, who designs mostly furred dinosaurs using LAMH+Vue, has been able to import even 3 OBJ of 1GB each; IIRC, loading time took about 30 minutes.
    Besides loading, you might want to switch on the Vue option "Limit polygons" to about 200000, and/or display objects and bounding boxes, so that Vue interface is responsive.
    Let me know about the OBJ file size, and eventually, in case of short fur critters, try to export with complexity set at 50%, which shouldn't affect quality too much and create smaller files...
    Thanks Alessandro :-). I finally tracked the problem down and it looks like a Vue issue. For some reason, I'm no longer getting the dialog box asking for the transmap location, but Vue is clearly waiting for that input. I've never seen that before, but it really doesn't look like a LAMH issue. Thanks for the information thought, that was helpful too.

edited December 1969

dievans said:
    dievans said:
    Alessandro, thanks for this truly awesome plugin. The presets are extremely helpful too. Here's my first try using the Mil Cat preset, rendered in Octane. Any advice for importing the obj into Vue? Vue appears to be stopping about 1/4 the way through the import, but it could be that it just takes a really long time and I'm not being patient.

Hi dievans, thanks to you for supporting Look at my Hair: I'm glad you are enjoying using it.
    The composition you did is truly remarkable, and besides the exceptional lighting, the way you have designed and placed all the models is just outstanding.
    What size is the OBJ you are trying to import in Vue? Luca, who designs mostly furred dinosaurs using LAMH+Vue, has been able to import even 3 OBJ of 1GB each; IIRC, loading time took about 30 minutes.
    Besides loading, you might want to switch on the Vue option "Limit polygons" to about 200000, and/or display objects and bounding boxes, so that Vue interface is responsive.
    Let me know about the OBJ file size, and eventually, in case of short fur critters, try to export with complexity set at 50%, which shouldn't affect quality too much and create smaller files...

Thanks Alessandro :-). I finally tracked the problem down and it looks like a Vue issue. For some reason, I'm no longer getting the dialog box asking for the transmap location, but Vue is clearly waiting for that input. I've never seen that before, but it really doesn't look like a LAMH issue. Thanks for the information thought, that was helpful too.

Ah that was it. I'm glad you sorted it out :)

BTW, I posted your awesome render on our LAMH FB, and will put that also on the Blog as well. Thank you very much for sharing it!

edited December 1969

new preset should be out soon!!!!

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited December 1969

Would anyone who's created a ponytail care to share details on how they did it (pretty please)? :cheese: I've attempted to use the clump tool, but can't seem to get the hang of it...

Thanks!

M.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

I think you need to split the hair groups up or have separate hair groups so you don't interfere with opposing groups.

edited December 1969

Hey Melissa, feel free to download and look at the pony tail "kuru" style I made for Hitomi! I used one group for hair around the head that I gathered back, and another group for the hanging hair. I HAVE done pony tails using gathering, and it IS very possible to do with a light touch and a small brush, but its difficult and time consuming to restyle! That's why I "cheated" and made a separate hair group for the tail and head. I used other groups for the fringe and curls and any other details. It's not totally necessary, I just find it makes restyling a whole lot easier. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks so much for responding BelovedDalia. :-)

Kuru style looks great, but it won't work very well for my male character, who has the bottom half of his head shaved and a stubby little ponytail..! ;-)

Funny, but since I posted the above request, I did figure out that I needed to use one hair group for the 'pull-back' part, and another group for the pony (used 3D paint to make a round pony). My attempt is still rendering...looks good so far, but I'm DYING for the update with that awesome human hair shader...

M.

edited December 1969

OH, and now I see Midnight_Stories also suggested splitting the groups...Thanks! :-)

edited February 2013

Melissa by any chance do you have Fisty's Sparkle Shaders? http://www.daz3d.com/sparkles-for-studio

If you don't have them I highly suggest them! I admit to using them on everything I possibly can! I use the sparkly velvet shaders on the hair for the best 'faked" hair... i think it works wonderfully. It's the shader I used on the last 2 images I did:

JulieRubyHair2.jpg
    1105 x 886 - 1M
    Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

I don't, actually, but now I'm off to impulse buy! LOL

M.

edited February 2013

Btw the hair preset for this hairstyle is up! AKA: JulieRubyHair --> http://www.furrythings.com/presets/

And Melissa, Fisty's sparkle shaders are TOTALLY worth it, not just for hair but for everything! The hair bands in my picture are colored with the sparkle shader, and i use ALL the shaders a LOT on practically everything... even EYES!!!! :D
    And I'm using fabricator and a free tile for the sweater texture... another worthwhile purchase!!!

Wow I'm just full of endorsements today :P HAH.

JulieRubyHair.jpg
    634 x 870 - 669K
    Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited February 2013

Well, I just bought the shaders and stopped that incredibly sloooowww render, but then when I went in to make some changes before trying out the shaders...DAZ crashed and I haven't been able to load the hair I made. :down: It keep crashing when I try...UPDATE: I restarted my 'puter (my go-to solution for all things techie) and it's working now. --but how do I select the 'hair?' All I see is the blue guide hairs and the surface selction tool in DAZ is ignoring them.

PS: I do have and adore Fabricator (and LaceMaker), although I need to find more shaders for it.

M.

Post edited by Melissa Conway on
    edited December 1969

Melissa, there are some free fabricator tile textures by wilmap on ShareCG, and some by me as well... just search fabricator :)

Try this and see if it helps at all for that hair.
    1. Load Daz Studio. Load Genesis. Close Daz Studio. Restart computer.
    2. Load Daz Studio, load whichever figure you were working with, try to load the hair again.

If the hair still doesn't work, it may have bugged itself, go back to an earlier version if you have it.

I have found to my limited understanding, that Daz seems to remember the previous session and always reverts to the last "saved" instance... its sometimes good to "reset" Daz Studio by loading a simple, scene, possibly saving it, and exiting Daz, and then restarting with other stuff.
    This has worked for me as well when I get other random DS errors, like shader errors (when the scene renders white, or one weird case when the scene rendered in pixels, or sometimes DS hangs up at "compiling textures" before it starts rendering.... doing the steps above and then reloading the scene, it'll compile the scene textures in a few seconds rather than an hour+ >_<

So I hope that can help a little!!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the tips, BelovedDahlia, much appreciated. :-)

I finally got a semi-decent render, but I'm not 100% happy with the hairline (the individual hairs look too thick). I'll keep tweaking...

Scott1.png
    540 x 810 - 512K
    edited December 1969

nicely done! my suggestions? I'd use the density maps to soften the hairline, and add one more group (a line around the scalp) and also density map it to be very sparse, and either have it loosely pulled over top or hanging down, to the be the wisps of hair that escape as we always know that happens! :)

Also if possible use some nice UE lights or light sets to have the hair realistic light and shine!

edited December 1969

I did use a density map with a softened hairline, but my next attempt was going to be (as you suggested) a separate density map for just the hairline, with that section of hair made much thinner at the root. I'm having way too much fun with this and really need to get back to my 'day job.' ;-)

Thanks again!

M.

edited December 1969

I did use a density map with a softened hairline, but my next attempt was going to be (as you suggested) a separate density map for just the hairline, with that section of hair made much thinner at the root. I'm having way too much fun with this and really need to get back to my 'day job.' ;-)

Thanks again!

M.

Thanks Melissa, nice to hear you are enjoying this! :)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the tips, BelovedDahlia, much appreciated. :-)

I finally got a semi-decent render, but I'm not 100% happy with the hairline (the individual hairs look too thick). I'll keep tweaking...

Well that's just a gorgeous styling Melissa... aren't you a real hair-dresser BTW? :)

Player out very soon, I'd be delighted to see how those hair look with the Human Hair Shader...

edited February 2013

From our LAMH Blog:

"Pajama was so kind to make and share this awesome preset for the beautiful Lyne’s Fox model (Lyne’s site is: http://www.lynescreations.com/lynesfree1.htm)

Here is the link to Pajama’s preset: http://www.furrythings.com/presets_depot/Pajama_Fox.zip"

Pajama, thank you so much for doing this awesome preset and share it with the community!

Pajama_Fox2.jpg
    805 x 862 - 41K
    Pajama_Fox1.jpg
    986 x 727 - 50K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

BTW, I need to give kudo's to Alia as well, which is always breeding such nice hair styles too!

• UrumikeUrumike Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

The nice new shiny DAZ store doesn't like me.
    First I had to reset my downloads in order to download LAMH, now I don't have an Installation Code in my account.

Do a maintenance, fix certain things, break others. Not funny!

edited December 1969

Urumike said:
    First I had to reset my downloads in order to download LAMH, now I don't have an Installation Code in my account.

Please email me at info_at_alessandromastronardi.com, send me the Serial Number and I will help you with that.

• UrumikeUrumike Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Urumike said:

Please email me at info_at_alessandromastronardi.com, send me the Serial Number and I will help you with that.
    Thank you for the quick help you provided!

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Render composed completely with the upcoming LAMH player.

Kendall

Super_with_hair.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 518K