Songbird ReMix Open Rendering Season Contest Closes March 1st (commercial)

Comments

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited February 2013

ooops.... Double post... well this is probably worth repeating on a new thread page:

we're 14 days away from the close of the contest.
    It's time to get your entries in

Post edited by Songbird ReMix on
  • Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

I do have doubts that Daz will open up DIM beyond their store. It requires elevated net/firewall privileges which leaves a security hole for viruses and such. But, I could be wrong. If I could predict the future, I'd be long ago rich and retired.

Very novel of you promoting the protection of our little rock. From the time of being a kid, birds were always big on my mind. The birds of prey being the most wonderful to me. In the late 60s and early 70s there were many in dire situations. I live in the mountains of Virginia, which isn't exactly the perfect place for eagles, but we do have a pair of Bald Eagles in close proximity. I never thought I'd live to see that. And one of my most memorable moments was getting to see California Condors in the wide while walking up from the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Seems they were down to a dozen or so at one point?

I think you have a good idea with the freebies on your site. My visit there led me to finding the shore house (and a very nice product), which is now in my runtime. Seems I have quite a few of your products these days, including most if not all of those freebies! :)

edited December 1969

dumorian said:
    I do have doubts that Daz will open up DIM beyond their store. It requires elevated net/firewall privileges which leaves a security hole for viruses and such. But, I could be wrong. If I could predict the future, I'd be long ago rich and retired.

I've thought about that too... but there is an offline mode. Perhaps, there might be a way eventually to install from files you've already downloaded that have DIM manifests.

dumorian said:

Very novel of you promoting the protection of our little rock. From the time of being a kid, birds were always big on my mind. The birds of prey being the most wonderful to me. In the late 60s and early 70s there were many in dire situations. I live in the mountains of Virginia, which isn't exactly the perfect place for eagles, but we do have a pair of Bald Eagles in close proximity. I never thought I'd live to see that. And one of my most memorable moments was getting to see California Condors in the wide while walking up from the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Seems they were down to a dozen or so at one point?

I'm sure it's somewhat obvious, I have a thing for birds. It always wasn't that way-- as a child I hated sitting around on trips while my father and friends bird watched-- but as the saying does, you become your parents.

California Condors are still struggling, but their numbers up. The lowest population number was down to 22 in 1987 and now is up to 400+ thanks to breeding programs around the world. Efforts to reintroduce them into the wild hasn't been very successful though. The biggest problem is lead-based ammunition. Because condors are scavengers, they feed on carcasses and often those carcasses have lead-based ammunition in them which of course leads to lead poisoning which has been killing off the wild population. There's been several attempts to ban lead-based ammo, but groups have fought back claiming that spending a few pennies to a dime a bullet is a hardship for sportsmen.

I think you have a good idea with the freebies on your site. My visit there led me to finding the shore house (and a very nice product), which is now in my runtime. Seems I have quite a few of your products these days, including most if not all of those freebies! :)

So my evil plot is working :)

edited December 1969

Here's mine!

And here is a link to the 2013 Entries

A Gift for My Companion

birdcontest2.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 817K
    edited February 2013

nice work...

and now, the first 9 entries are in...

edited December 1969

Thanks Ken. I'm still just getting into the rendering side of things. It does help a lot when your focal points are great models to start with! ;)

I hope it was alright to post it to the forum and also to post that link to the entries to keep it in front of folks?

edited December 1969

It's okay to post images here too if you want to share with other DAZ forum visitors-- but if you are entering the contest make sure to fill out the entry form on my website -- the judges will only be looking at the official entry pages

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Hey, Songbird ReMix Toucans2 and the Elegant Swan car are up! Is there a thread for that? If there is, I'm sorry to be bringing up this question here: with these being released at the same time, is there supposed to be one of those "buy X and get Y at Z% off" deals on 'em? These days it's hard to tell what just isn't there from what the DAZzlers forgot to set up before the put the products live. :red:

edited December 1969

Hey, Songbird ReMix Toucans2 and the Elegant Swan car are up! Is there a thread for that? If there is, I'm sorry to be bringing up this question here: with these being released at the same time, is there supposed to be one of those "buy X and get Y at Z% off" deals on 'em? These days it's hard to tell what just isn't there from what the DAZzlers forgot to set up before the put the products live. :red:

Sorry.. I'm moving a little slow this morning... product forum threads are up... but the way I understand the promotion to work is buy one 30%, buy two 35%, buy three or more 40% off.

edited February 2013

I just couldn't resist spitting this one out. Not for the contest.

"If one can..."

2can.jpg
    640 x 640 - 407K
    Post edited by Dumor3D on
    edited December 1969

just a week left to enter...

and just in time for those last minute renders, I have updated quite a few more products... of course all the Songbird Remix sets are updated not only for DS 4.5 and earlier version compatibility -- but many with minor to substantial improvements. I am also in the process of updating many of my non-bird sets such as "Safari Camp" (there's finally a DS version), "Water Lily Garden", "Optics" and "Perching Places" (some big improvements on this). All Updates can will found in "Songbird Remix Downloads" and my "Other Downloads"

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited February 2013

Ken, are we allowed to use the freebie birds for Songbird Remix 3 in the contest? I'm working on an image with the Carolina Chickadee.
    Another question - Are we allowed to touch up the image in Photoshop?

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Ken, are we allowed to use the freebie birds for Songbird Remix 3 in the contest? I'm working on an image with the Carolina Chickadee.

Yes. The freebie birds are fine to use for the contest since they use Songbird Remix models. You could, as one entrant already has, create an image using your own texture and bird shape on a Remix model. The key is using one of my bird model bases.

Best of luck!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Yes. The freebie birds are fine to use for the contest since they use Songbird Remix models. You could, as one entrant already has, create an image using your own texture and bird shape on a Remix model. The key is using one of my bird model bases.

Best of luck!
    Thanks. Is post work in Photoshop allowed?

edited December 1969

yes, post work is allowed, again the rules state "Imagery must contain a visible and discernible Songbird ReMix bird product" period.. end of story... that means as long as I can tell it's one of my birds-- it's legit to enter.

And yes, you can enter an image that has been shown public and even if it entered in another person's contest-- just so long as it wasn't entered in one of mine.

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

The Pun-ishment of the Gull
    Here s one, if not completely different, at least not quite duck stamp material.
    Sorry to mutilate your beautiful gulls and the english language to boot, but...
    The idea comes from a joke at last May's Redlands Shakespeare Festival:
    Why do you never find seagulls in Santa Monica Bay..... because then they d be bagels.:-S
    So prepare to groan.

The key for spoilers:
    Paddy O'GULL ogles the swinging sing GULL. The Bey GULL enjoys bagels and cream cheese. The Djinn GULL rings out Jingle Bells. The JugGULLer juggles jugs. The buGULLer plays his bugle. GULLileo tests his theory of gravity. The pair a Lee GULLS (Robert E.) interview the ill eaGULL.

GULLPUNISHMENT.jpg
    2000 x 600 - 953K
    edited December 1969

gopherus said:
    The Pun-ishment of the Gull
    Here s one, if not completely different, at least not quite duck stamp material.
    Sorry to mutilate your beautiful gulls and the english language to boot, but...
    The idea comes from a joke at last May's Redlands Shakespeare Festival:
    Why do you never find seagulls in Santa Monica Bay..... because then they d be bagels.:-S
    So prepare to groan.

The key for spoilers:
    Paddy O'GULL ogles the swinging sing GULL. The Bey GULL enjoys bagels and cream cheese. The Djinn GULL rings out Jingle Bells. The JugGULLer juggles jugs. The buGULLer plays his bugle. GULLileo tests his theory of gravity. The pair a Lee GULLS (Robert E.) interview the ill eaGULL.

This is just twisted. But, I must admit, I'm a bit GULLable to that type of humor. :)

edited December 1969

that was a fun image, thanks for entering it.

---

We're drawing down to the wire and entries are starting to pour in-- I posted three more this morning. Best of luck to everyone and again, the deadline is March 1st at 11:59pm PST

• guangh69guangh69 Posts: 165
    edited February 2013

My entry:I have not got a nice title yet. I will keep thinking for a nice title

It seems the bird is small. I will rerender another one,

hhh.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 403K
    Post edited by guangh69 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well I thought I'd miss out this year but I have managed to get a small one out, just finishing it off now doing some postwork in time for uploading tomorrow. Man that was pushing it to get one done. Not a masterpiece like last year's piece but at least I won't miss a year. I am not bothering to enter to win this year but just to keep my track record up. LOL

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,301
    edited December 1969

Do I have until tomorrow night or is the deadline tonight, DS is not playing nice at all.
    Thanks

edited December 1969

March 1st, 2013 11:59pm PST for me that is 7.59am March the 2nd GMT I believe with California being 8 hours - GMT. :)

edited December 1969

Do I have until tomorrow night or is the deadline tonight, DS is not playing nice at all.
    Thanks

the clock is ticking but have about 35 hours still.

the Deadline is FRIDAY, March 1st at 11:59pm PST

Again, for everyone who's scrambling... I have updates to most bird volumes here and some big updates to some of my older prop sets here.

For those of you who have "Perching Places" , here's a couple renders showing some of the updates I did.

PP-Pop-Up3.JPG
    1000 x 1300 - 90K
    perchingPlacesMain.JPG
    1000 x 1300 - 229K
    PP-popup2.JPG
    1000 x 1300 - 176K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,301
    edited December 1969

Thank you both.
    Thanks for the UK time Szark its good to know, I can get confused.
    Hopefully I'll make it in time.

edited December 1969

Good luck scorpio64dragon

edited December 1969

I like the updates to the Perching places Ken thanks. Yep got uses for everything there. :) Good for all sorts of images too just not birdies.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited February 2013

Well my fellow contestants, I haven't placed my entry for the contest because I keep getting a message when I click on the "here" to send email to attach my render and info to, that I must set up a Microsoft Outlook email account, which I don't have and can't figure out how to set up. So here is my entry, which I realize will not be entered in the contest. Sorry for that, as I would have liked to add from Ken's catalogue--if I'd won anything, LOL! "Mother Carey's Chicks" using Ken Galliland's "Common Diving Petrel"
    Posed in DAZ Studio 4.0, rendered in BrycePro7, and resized in PaintshopPro7.

CareysChix.png
    1200 x 555 - 815K
    Post edited by IceScribe on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

I got a render in, whoo-hooo! Qualifying item: SBRM Dodo. DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Spoils

spoils_by_kickair8p-x2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    edited February 2013

IceScribe said:
    Well my fellow contestants, I haven't placed my entry for the contest because I keep getting a message when I click on the "here" to send email to attach my render and info to, that I must set up a Microsoft Outlook email account, which I don't have and can't figure out how to set up. So here is my entry, which I realize will not be entered in the contest. Sorry for that, as I would have liked to add from Ken's catalogue--if I'd won anything, LOL! "Mother Carey's Chicks" using Ken Galliland's "Common Diving Petrel"
    Posed in DAZ Studio 4.0, rendered in BrycePro7, and resized in PaintshopPro7.

Sorry you're having issues-- just email it to me at: empken @ empken.com (without the spaces)

Part of the reason I do the submit by email is so that I have a the contact info for the entrants. I hate having to rely on the forum PM system.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Ken! I will do that right now.