Opening Custom Morph...?

SenaReSenaRe Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in New Users

I created a custom morph in DS3 and through some issues with the comp I lost all but the .dsb file of that morph. Can I open that up in DS4 and retrieve the morph? Or will I have to start from scratch?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

What do you mean by custom? The .dsb will, if it's a pose or shape preset, have the settings for any sliders used but if some of those sliders controlled new morphs created with DForms or loaded with Morph Loader then the actual new shape won't be stored in the file.

• SenaReSenaRe Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

When I said custom I meant it was the info for the avatar I'm using. It was all done with the sliders (I don't have the ability to go beyond that at the moment lol)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

The the .dsb file should work, if it's the right kind of preset and if you have the all of the morphs used installed.

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 276
    edited January 2013

Cancel all the below. The trick is that the mesh name in Hexagon and Studio has to be the same (der! - its all flat files and dumb-names underneath). Call them both Fred (or Genesis) and it works fine. GenesisMorph1 to Genesis will not work.

Lx

As always, not sure where to post but the soothing presence of the ever-helpful Richard H leads me here.

Making good progress creating custom morphs for Genesis by sending to Hexagon, modifying and sending back, and capturing as a morph. Back and forward, back and forward until it is just right. One instance of Studio, one instance of Hexagon. One studio instance of Genesis, any number of instances of Hexagon genesis according to the morph in play, all sent from studio originally.

And then I have to close the session, saving all diligently, when real life rudely intrudes.

But it appears I can never recreate that halcyon sympatico between Studio and Hexagon where I can pass the mesh back and forward, tweaking and twisting until it is just so. What happens is a send from Hexagon starts a new instance of Studio and a send from Studio starts a new instance of Hexagon. If I start Studio, send a blank genesis to Hexagon to start it and import the saved preliminary morph files Hexagon, then a non-genesis static mesh is the result of a sent to Studio. And if I try from the other end and start Hexagon, send to Studio then merge the original studio file; in same outcome - a non-genesis static mesh.

Is there any way to re-create the magic ... To run a morph building session between Hexagon and Studio and then save it for later and re-open and proceed with the fun.

Hopefully ... Lx

Post edited by stitlown on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited January 2013

stitlown said:
    Cancel all the below. The trick is that the mesh name in Hexagon and Studio has to be the same (der! - its all flat files and dumb-names underneath). Call them both Fred (or Genesis) and it works fine. GenesisMorph1 to Genesis will not work.

Lx

As always, not sure where to post but the soothing presence of the ever-helpful Richard H leads me here.

Making good progress creating custom morphs for Genesis by sending to Hexagon, modifying and sending back, and capturing as a morph. Back and forward, back and forward until it is just right. One instance of Studio, one instance of Hexagon. One studio instance of Genesis, any number of instances of Hexagon genesis according to the morph in play, all sent from studio originally.

And then I have to close the session, saving all diligently, when real life rudely intrudes.

But it appears I can never recreate that halcyon sympatico between Studio and Hexagon where I can pass the mesh back and forward, tweaking and twisting until it is just so. What happens is a send from Hexagon starts a new instance of Studio and a send from Studio starts a new instance of Hexagon. If I start Studio, send a blank genesis to Hexagon to start it and import the saved preliminary morph files Hexagon, then a non-genesis static mesh is the result of a sent to Studio. And if I try from the other end and start Hexagon, send to Studio then merge the original studio file; in same outcome - a non-genesis static mesh.

Is there any way to re-create the magic ... To run a morph building session between Hexagon and Studio and then save it for later and re-open and proceed with the fun.

Hopefully ... Lx

Hopefully, yes there is. Doesn't work 100% of the time ... so hopefully.

When you're finished for the time in Hexagon, using the same export out sizes 'as you would normally', export out the mesh as an .obj file.
    Can be put anywhere you can find it later.
    Close both programs.
    Have lunch or whatever.

Come back to D/S and "send to Hexagon" via the bridge Genesis "0" .... it will open Hexagon.
    Leave D/S open.

In Hexagon import in the previous export ... it should be the same size as the new import from D/S.
    [yes there are now 2 Genesis in Hexagon]
    Delete 'the new one' just sent over from D/S. [should be the top one on the scene tab]
    Continue working on the morph.
    Should be able to send it back to D/S via the bridge now.
    Then I close Hexagon so the next trip from D/S to Hexagon goes well.
    If I don't then D/S keeps opening up new projects of Hexagon.

edit: I realize that you said to ignore your request as naming both objects as Genesis did the trick for you however that doesn't work over here. So I posted how I get the bridge again in case it helps somebody else too.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited January 2013

Thanks for doco on another work-around patience.

Lx

And just to elaborate in case it helps anyone .... for me ...

1. Open D|S, send something to Hexagon. This appears to establish the bridge between the two with D|S opening an instance of Hexagon.

2. In that instance of D|S open the file you are working on and in that instance of Hexagon open the morphs file you are working on.

Now a send from Hexagon crosses the bridge into that instance of D|S no worries. Lets you stop and save any time and pick up where you left off nice and easy.

I think the process works fine too if you start at Hexagon and send to D|S opening a bridged instance of D|S.

:-) Lx

Post edited by stitlown on
    edited December 1969

stitlown said:
    Thanks for doco on another work-around patience.

Lx

And just to elaborate in case it helps anyone .... for me ...

1. Open D|S, send something to Hexagon. This appears to establish the bridge between the two with D|S opening an instance of Hexagon.

2. In that instance of D|S open the file you are working on and in that instance of Hexagon open the morphs file you are working on.

Now a send from Hexagon crosses the bridge into that instance of D|S no worries. Lets you stop and save any time and pick up where you left off nice and easy.

I think the process works fine too if you start at Hexagon and send to D|S opening a bridged instance of D|S.

:-) Lx

... for that last step ... maybe with your Hexie, not with mine. And if one has more than one D/S on board, it'll get really confused.

edited December 1969

Bummer. For what its worth I'm on Win7 64bit with Hex 2.5.1.79 and D|S pro 4.5.0.114 64bit. I don't often run multiple instances but have not had troubles when I have. If the bridge breaks (eg Hex falls over as it is want to do) I have to close D|S and start again as that bridge is left hanging. Cheers. Lx

edited December 1969

W7Pro 64bit, D/S4.0 and the latest Hexie for most of the bridge morphs I do.

Yes, it's D/S that has to start the bridge process. I do find it neat though that one can swap out the Genesis and carry on with the project.

On my laptop just upgraded D/S to 4.5.1.56. Haven't tried morphing with it yet ... but the Smart Content works MUCH better! Actually made a pose and it just showed up with no sweat in the Smart Content Tab. yes. :-)

edited December 1969

No Question. DS 4.0 was a pre-release. 4.5 is heaps better and each new (before we have to pay) build is noticeably better still. Love your little creature. Is that a real squrl or an art work. I thought they were all brown. No squrls in my part of the world. You might laugh. We had a car once that mum called Boudicca. It was that type of car! Lx

edited December 1969

stitlown said:
    No Question. DS 4.0 was a pre-release. 4.5 is heaps better and each new (before we have to pay) build is noticeably better still. Love your little creature. Is that a real squrl or an art work. I thought they were all brown. No squrls in my part of the world. You might laugh. We had a car once that mum called Boudicca. It was that type of car! Lx

Seems to be the way it turned out however 4.0 cost a lot of money at release time. My computer for rendering though still has 4.0 on it which I hope to keep up and running for awhile yet.

Real squirrel. Very rare colour combo. [probably the result of red squirrel/black squirrel mingling]