GPU Temperature

I have just added a GTX 1070 to my existing 970 but I'm a little concerned about the reported temperatures. GPU-Z is saying the the 1070 is 81 deg.C and the 970 is close to that temperature. That is not during a render but I do have IRay preview running in the viewport. 

I have a liquid cooler with radiator for the CPU and two other case fans. The 1070 is an Asus Turbo and the 970 is an Asus Strix. I've read that these do tend to run hot but there is advice to manually adjust the fan speed in the NVidia Control Panel. However, the NVidia Control Panel does not contain the Performance menu shown in the instructions. Someone suggested that it only appears if the motherboard is an NVidia. According to the hardware report, the fans are only reaching 50% of their maximum speed so there's room for a little more agressive cooling, it seems to me.

Any ideas how I can increase the fan speed or is 80 deg normal?

Comments

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited January 2017

try to use the 'SPEEDFAN' (google it)
    the app check all temp in your hardware and you can adjust alll fan speed  by  %

Post edited by cm152335 on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Actually I found another discussion about this on the GeForce forum. They seem to suggest that 80 deg is quite normal.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/978449/geforce-1000-series/1070-gpu-temperature-and-fan-speed-on-card/

But yes, I'll take a look at Speedfan, thanks.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited January 2017

80 normal? Damn, I got MSI armor 1070, haven't seen it get near that hot yet, granted, only had it in a few days now. Also I use afterburner to create a bit more aggressive fan curve.

Post edited by TheKD on

Do these fan control utilities work in conjunction with the BIOS setting or do I need to set something in (UEFI) BIOS to enable control of the fans from a Windows utility?

I never had to mess in bios to get it to work. You can even manually control speed in afterburner. I jacked my fans up to 100% as soon as I got it to see if it sounded like a jet engine lol. It's a lot quiter than I thought it would be, I guess that is why they used HUGE dual fans.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    marble said:

Do these fan control utilities work in conjunction with the BIOS setting or do I need to set something in (UEFI) BIOS to enable control of the fans from a Windows utility?

Shouldn't need to play with the bios. In addition to speedfan, there's msi afterburner. Whichever you use, you'll want to set a custom fan profile and load it to the card. I kick my fans up to 50% at 40 C and then go up in lock-step between fan speed and temp to 80 C; this tends to keep the 980 ti at about 67 C when running flat-out and the 1080 at about 74 C. (The 1080 is physically above the 980 ti in the case, so it gets some of the 980 heat as well)

namffuak said:
    marble said:

Shouldn't need to play with the bios. In addition to speedfan, there's msi afterburner. Whichever you use, you'll want to set a custom fan profile and load it to the card. I kick my fans up to 50% at 40 C and then go up in lock-step between fan speed and temp to 80 C; this tends to keep the 980 ti at about 67 C when running flat-out and the 1080 at about 74 C. (The 1080 is physically above the 980 ti in the case, so it gets some of the 980 heat as well)

I'll get one or both of those utilities and figure out how to create a profile, thanks. I gather MSI Afterburner will work for non-MSI cards - seems to be popular.

It worked with my gigabyte brand 960 OK. I have only had a MSI 660, then the gb 960, now the MSI 1070.

• You can also use MSI afterburner software to turn up the fans. Iray really does heat up the video cards so do turn on the fans on high before you render otherwise you are shortening the life of your video card. At close to $400 dollars per card it just makes sense.

• if iray preview is running in the viewport, that's pretty much going to melt your GPU. I run the same way as you do, but I set the max samples to around 120. vs 5000 this way you are giving the cards time to cool down  bit.

• StingerStinger Posts: 296

I use EVGA Precision on my Zotac GTX 970 and it works quite well. I set the curve to run the fans at 20% at 40 degrees C 100% when it hits 60. I don't run the Iray preveiw and the hottest I've ever seen it is 68.

The thing to remember is that the Geforce cards are designed for gaming and most games will not push the card to its limit for more than a few seconds at a time. Iray, on the other hand, will pound the card for hours. All the nvidia cards are designed to throttle back when they hit 83 C; the clock speeds drop, cpu utilization goes down, and the card will eventually cool down.

The work-around, of course, is a custom fan profile - and you will want to start at 40% or 50% fan speed at about 40 C or the fans might not be able to catch up. My MSI 1080 default profile, for example, doesn't even start the fans until the card hits 50 C, and about 10 minutes after that point my core and memory clocks are slowing down.

But that heat has to go somewhere - and that somewhere is inside your case. You need a case with room and good air flow - and fans, the more the better, especially if you have more than one of these monsters running.

OK, good advice here. A combination of a fan profile and limiting my use of the IRay preview in the viewport seems the most sensible route. I've just switched on again this moment so I'll look for those fan utilities.

I've installed Afterburner and something called Rivatuner (though I have no idea what that does - it came with the installer). This is how I've set up the fans on the two cards, please advise if I'm not getting the idea. Also - does Afterburner need to be running constantly for the fan profile to have any effect or is this a set-and-forget thing? Thanks again.

1070.JPG
    1535 x 989 - 235K
    marble said:

I've installed Afterburner and something called Rivatuner (though I have no idea what that does - it came with the installer). This is how I've set up the fans on the two cards, please advise if I'm not getting the idea. Also - does Afterburner need to be running constantly for the fan profile to have any effect or is this a set-and-forget thing? Thanks again.

That's pretty much what I have set up You need to save the profile - the main UI has six slots for custom profiles (I'm not home, so I don't have it available) - just follow the tool tips. Once saved you load the profile by clicking on the number you saved it as. I seem to need to do this each time I reboot even after setting afterburner up to start on boot. But you don't need to keep afterburner running after you load the profile to the card.

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited January 2017
    marble said:

SPEEDFAN read motherboard information to use "temp" and "fan control"
    when he start on screen he give you all temp found on your motherboard 

and actualy speed of your fan

you can overide those setting manualy 

exemple:

increase speed of your CPU, GPU, front,read fan's to 100% instead of 30-60 %

Post edited by cm152335 on

MSI Afterburner seems to bring in the fans according to the profile while it is running but as soon as I exit Afterburner, the fans stop. How do I load the profile to the card?

namffuak said:
    marble said:

That's pretty much what I have set up You need to save the profile - the main UI has six slots for custom profiles (I'm not home, so I don't have it available) - just follow the tool tips. Once saved you load the profile by clicking on the number you saved it as. I seem to need to do this each time I reboot even after setting afterburner up to start on boot. But you don't need to keep afterburner running after you load the profile to the card.

I thought I had this set up and working, but it looks like the latest version doesn't do this - or maybe I've just always minimized afterburner. I does work minimized and task manager says it only uses 10 MB - a drop in the bucket at this point. Googling gives no current solution.

Thanks - I have set it to start with Windows. That profile seems to work quite well, it has not gone above 60 deg since I set it. Thank you all for your help.

As for rivatuner, if I remember right, it's a tool used to overlay info like FPS while playing games. Glad to hear the gpu is running cool now :D