How is it that G3 figures are taking up so much ram?

Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
edited January 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just did some testing today, and I saw that loading jsut a single non-clothed G3 figure takes like 2GB of ram when I render it. The textures and such are not even close to that amount of memory when downloading. What is making it take up so much ram?

EDIT: I'm using iray to render.

Post edited by Richard John S on

Comments

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited January 2017

depend of character and data + your system
    i am under Windows 10, i3 4 GB memory (windows 10 use compress memory) 
    in my situation full scene room with four Genesis 3 character +clothes my task manager show 2GB memory

3D light render is arround 3-4 minutes  per screen 

ram goes up if you do many changes, clothes, character position (poses) delete, moves and so,,
    once your scene is ready,, save, exit the program reload the scene,,
    every time you do changes and delete in scenes the memory always go higher and restore back your changes by undo (ctrl+Z)
    new scene is low in memory,, no undo in memory, temp is also low

Post edited by cm152335 on
  • I forgot to mention that I'm using Iray. I don't have memory problems with 3Delight. Before I hit render with iray the memory is fine, but a soon as I hit render and after about 2GB of ram is filled then the GS3 figure begins rendering. I'm also using a GTX970 to render, shouldn't it just be going into the GPU memory to render?

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229

I forgot to mention that I'm using Iray. I don't have memory problems with 3Delight. Before I hit render with iray the memory is fine, but a soon as I hit render and after about 2GB of ram is filled then the GS3 figure begins rendering. I'm also using a GTX970 to render, shouldn't it just be going into the GPU memory to render?

Do you have your GPU checked in render settings/Advanced? Otherwise it's probably falling back to cpu.

When your scene is being loaded into Ram/Vram, it's not only G3F that's being loaded - its your projected final render size, your hdri, calculated geometry and more. 

• My GPU is checked and it renders fast, but it still takes up a lot of ram. CPU mode is disabled. It's like it's using both system ram and my GPU ram.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229

Yes, from what i've gathered your scene is saved to physical memory whether you are GPU rendering or otherwise. If you stop a render, and leave the window open, your ram usage should stay pretty much the same. If you try to render again with your previous render window open, the scene will start rendering with barely any pre-load time because it's stored locally in the Ram. This is very useful for animations, since you don't have to re-load assets for each frame. 

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Also keep in mind that, in iray, using HD will increase the data consumption beyond the mere "basic" of what you can see, as will normal maps.