Errant edge and vertex

2»

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

They're a mathematical device and have no existence in euclidian space.

Great. Whatever that means.

But for all practical purposes, and for what we're discussing here, which is 3D modellers and renderers, they exist. Whether they make your brain hurt when trying to come up with a physical analogy is totally irrelevant. They exist in multiple modellers, they exist in multiple renderers, and they are something that someone who is working in this field might do well to accept and understand.

edited December 2012

And no, Rogue, I don't despise you. I'm sure you're a cool guy, I'm sure you're a smart guy, I have no problem with you as a person, whatsoever. I'm not the kind of person who dislikes those who disagree with him. Which is quite unlike most people here, who immensely dislike me because of the fact I often disagree with what they say, with what others say, and I don't say things nicely enough for them.

I merely get frustrated at those who absolutely refuse to admit that they don't know something, that someone else might know something they don't, and they especially refuse to agree with ANYTHING said by someone they dislike. And they spend their time trying to find ANYTHING that I say that they can point to as being wrong. They'll even chase me into euclidian space to do it. :)

BTW, that thing about euclidian space was a joke. Not intended to offend anyone.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

[That addition to language is not common so to have someone not know it is not any real indication of anything apart from a familiarity with lightwave..

Oh, and BTW Rogue, I'll give you $10 if you can please explain to me what this sentence means... :)

(BTW, no need to feel offended. I just read it three times and still can't figure it out. But that's not an attack...no need to be offended).

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

That particular addition to the language is not in common usage. To have someone not know its meaning isn't any real indication of anything, except for a persons level of familiarity with lightwave..

Yeah, I wrote that at 6:00am, just as I was leaving for work, so the grammar wasn't very good. Was it?

Where's my 10 bucks?

edited December 1969

That particular addition to the language is not in common usage. To have someone not know its meaning isn't any real indication of anything, except for a persons level of familiarity with lightwave..

Ahh, now I understand. I think...

In any case, I really think it's a lot more than Lightwave. I believe Modo uses them. And I'm sure that other apps also use them. And even if you don't work in those apps, anyone who has to import/export from any of those apps needs to understand of their existence to know how to deal with them. Which is why I raised the issue.

And IF (though I'm not sure this is the case) the code in many/most modellers ALLOWS the unintentional creation of 1-point or 2-point polygons, then you need to be able to deal with them.

Back to the OP's original problem, IF they were generated in Hex somehow (and, not knowing the inner workings of all the modelling apps, that seems it might be at least possible), then it becomes a very important consideration in fixing the problem.

So whether the average guy on the street refers to 1-point or 2-point polygons, or whether Andy and Garstor believe they make sense, is kind of irrelevant if you have a model that has them and you have to fix it.

edited December 1969

And, BTW, the reason I think it's at least possible for 1-point and 2-point poly's to be intentionally or un-intentionally constructable in many 3D apps is this:

I think it's safe to say the most of the code written by 3D app developers is generally the result of some professor or other expert writing a SIGGRAPH paper on some new discovery in the field, which developers take and develop code from. So I'm guessing that there may be a common thread running thru most of the modelling/rendering code out there. Maybe not, but just a guess..