Content library is getting big, can I devide them?

SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
edited December 2012 in New Users

So, after all the freebies. shopping sprees and hoarding I am left with quite an extensive library.
DAZ needs to load for a few seconds whenever I switch from different content tabs so I take it as a sign that it's getting a bit too crowded.
Is there a way I can make several folders and load or remove them easily when I need them to?

On another note, what is the best way to save my content so I can reload it it in case of corruption?
I already did the "export user data" thingy...

Happy holidays from the Netherlands :D

Post edited by Sylvan on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,209
    edited December 1969

Yes, you can have (within reason) as many content directories as you like - just right-click on DAZ Studio Formats/Poser Formats/Other Formats and add the folder. Avoid placing one content directory inside another as that can cause problems. Most people split by genre, or by compatibility (Victoria/Michael etc), or by type of item (props, clothes etc.).

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

this may help http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11176/

and backing up your content folders on to another Hard Drive or DVD/Blueray is the onky why to backup.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 2012

I am sorry, I think I wasn't clear what I meant.
    My purpose would be, for instance, to create a folder on my desktop with props and load it when I need it.
    When I am finished rendering, I delete the folder again so I can load some other folder without slowing the software down with a lot of content that needs to be loading...
    Hope I explained it clearly ><</p>

EDIT
    That's what I was looking for!
    Thank you Szark ^^
    And Richard as well :D

I bought a few 16GB USB sticks that are perfect for this :)

Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 1969

My pleasure
    Yep USB sticks are great too, keep forgetting about those. ;)
    I have 37 different Content folders and all are loaded with Daz Studio when opened, running a lower powered computer and I don't have much problem with this content lag others have and all the folders are on a USB portable Hard Drive

edited December 2012

Hmm, because I already have everything installed this isn't a very doable thing for me because I need to track down all the content and redirect it again within DAZ.
    What I can do is just copy paste my libraries onto the stick so I at least have a backup.

I am now going to fiddle with the folders (not before savinf them of course, been there, done that LOL) because I do like your way!

EDIT
    question that has been bothering me a while:
    why even make a seperate DAZ folder?
    I mean, DAZ can read Poserfiles so why not just toss everything in there?

Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 1969

Yes sorry you have to start from scratch again and reinstall your content into different folders. Took me three years and 2 hard drive failures to realise I needed another way of content management and settled for that approach.

edited December 2012

Why? So I have Buildings in one folder, clothing in another, Sci-fi props etc etc. This is so I don't have to use Catagories inside Daz Studio as I know where my content is and becasue for me I am always messing with textures this way makes it easier to find them.

One big folder makes it harder to find things. I know where my buildings etc are and can find things very quickly.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 2012

LOL I seem to have trouble with the language barrier XD

What I mean is: why does DAZ even sepperate the two in their own library?
    It only makes it another extra step to try to find things
    DAZ can read Poser and it can read its own DAZ files such as Genesis.
    So why dont they just make ONE people folder instead of two sepperate ones: one in the Poser library and one in the DAZ library as well?
    Or am I missing something?

for instance, this is what they do:
    Poser=>People=>SomeHunk
    DAZ=>People=>SomeGenesisHunk

Why not just like this:
    Library=>People=>Genesis=>SomeGenesisHunk
    Library=>People=>SomeHunk

Second one seems more logic to me...but is it?
    Why does DAZ devide Poser and DAZ libraries?

Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 1969

Sorry yeah I got confused by your question and I am still confused.

I don't have a clear answer why Daz3D went this route, all I know is that Poser content has to be in a Runtime folder for the content to work properly. I know that some of the older content could be put anywhere even in the Runtime folder but with genesis I am not sure that is still current.

edited December 1969

Ah, ok, sorry for the confusement!
    For now I am zipping and copying the entire DAZ library and DAZ management content onto a stick.
    Takes me at least 5 nights of a week to reinstall everything again, so I won't start with that now.
    But still, I like your way a lot because it's very tidy and corruption proof!
    So I might do it next week in the new years holiday week.

Thanks again :)

edited December 1969

My pleasure Estroyer

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The reason for the POSER Runtime and the Extended DS Content Above it is this. At the Birth of DS the only content made was 100% Poser only so DS used the Standard Runtime. As DS Grew and people learned that DS only files could be made the Content Folder with the inbedded Runtime started so all files could be had from just ONE folder. That became the Standard for DS and still is.