Help Me Understand Poke-Through That Will Not Go Away

ebonartgalleryebonartgallery Posts: 251

I think certain G3 models just do not play well with certain G2 clothing.

Here, we have G3-Ethan. I want to use the G2-Female Ultra Bodysuit on him - it's the only bodysuit I've found with the material zones I need, and which has several morphs that I need.

Loading the bodysuit on the unmodified figure, though, shows a rash of poke-through areas whereas, say, G3-Blake displays none of these problems with the same suit. Don't even have to touch it. His body type though is a lot 'smoother' than Ethan, who has some real muscles to begin with.

So I add a smoothing modifier, and fiddle with all the expand-this items. There are still slivers of Ethan that never disappear no matter what I do.

This is at Smoothing Iteration 7, Collision Iteration 6.

What causes this discrepancy between models, and how do I get rid of it? I CAN get them to go away by ramming ExpandALL to 100%, but that introduces a whole host of new unacceptable problems.

Poke.jpg
1137 x 460 - 22K
Post edited by ebonartgallery on

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

It could be mnay things, but I have certainly found that if I get poke-thru such as that it tends not to want to go away by solely ussing the smoothing/collision parameters.  I've just done a render where I got a bit of unexpected poke-thru and 'solved' it by doing a re-render using the Spot Render tool (then using the Toosl tab to set render to new windw) and doing a spot render of the 'offeiding' location after hiding the underlying body part, saving as a .png and loading that as an new layer in GIMP.

Other options are just hiding the body part in question (if it does not also effect visible parts), or using a D-former to tweak the clothing item a little.  Another possibility is to add a Push modifier and setting the push amoutn to a very small value.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

It is probably the result of the faces of the clothing's mesh are aligning with the edges on the figure's mesh.  Smoothing will never fix it, only a Push Modifier with a very small offset will fix it.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404

Another thing I've found that helps with small poke-through is to just render it as is, and fix the poke-through in postwork.

• I loaded Ethan, applied the Ultra Body Suit, used auto-fit G2F Full Body option, applied smoothing modifier (left default 2 smoothing 3 collision iterations), applied a push modifier of 0.0150 and do not see any visible pokethrough.  Sometimes cranking up the collision and smoothing will cause it to actually fit worse as it may try to burrow under the character's skin instead of over.