32-vs 64 bit MAC-PRO!

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

This is addressed to MAC users using carrara! I am considering buying a used EXON INTEL MAC PRO. Its hard to come across the Westmiere class which is the last version of the mac-pro, IT runs 64 bit. AS far as I can tell ITS the onlt client based machine MAC that does run 64 bit.

1) Do any of you have a MAC- PRO running 64 bit and is it really that much faster specially rendering Carrara?

2) PC people - Is 64 bit that much faster for rendering on your machines?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited December 1969

yes to the second question, I have a real computer and 64bit is definately faster but I have the 32bit also installed as it works better rendering in that at the same time even multiple instances than two lots of 64bit!
    (yes I HAVE rendered in 5 instances of Carrara simultaneously!!!)
    buy a PC mate and then you can have apples and your cake and eat it too!
    runs Hex better too I hear!!
    not knocking Mac but you can get a better PC for the same money and you have a Mac already so why not extend your options.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

There is no Quicktime Movie in the 64 bit version as there is no 64 bit Quicktime.

Of course, as far as i know, one can get both versions of 32 and 64 bit Carrara, with QT being in the 32 bit.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As long as you dont use OS X 10.7 you should be fine

• edited December 1969

AS far as I can tell ITS the onlt client based machine MAC that does run 64 bit.

I don’t understand this part of your post. I’m running a nearly two year old iMac, and it’s 64-bit.
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

not sure if this answers the nquestion but if you want to run the 64bit kernel restart holding the numbers 6 and 4. then you will be running in 64 bit only

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

yes to the second question, I have a real computer and 64bit is definately faster but I have the 32bit also installed as it works better rendering in that at the same time even multiple instances than two lots of 64bit!
    (yes I HAVE rendered in 5 instances of Carrara simultaneously!!!)
    buy a PC mate and then you can have apples and your cake and eat it too!
    runs Hex better too I hear!!
    not knocking Mac but you can get a better PC for the same money and you have a Mac already so why not extend your options.

Wendy, please skip the editorializing if you don't know what you're talking about. ;-) A Mac is just as much of a "real" computer as a "PC." In fact, if the OP wanted, he could partition his HD or add another HD formated for Windows, and have the ability to natively boot into either OS X or Windows. That's two computers for the price of one! Additionally, from what I've read (at least when Apple switched to the Intel chips), the Mac hardware in some instances runs Windows better than a PC box. That was a couple years ago, so I don't know how well that holds true today.

It's true that some here have had issues with Carrara 8.xx (especially the 64 bit version) but from what I've read here and the bug tracker, I'm 95% convinced it's the Carrara devs. that have the issue, as I have access to a pretty current iMac, with OS X (prior to latest version I believe) and have had no issues. It's a pretty clean system.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited June 2012

sorry EP, was tongue in cheek dig at Rich who is a facebook friend and every time I post about computer issues, he tells me to get a real computer, a Mac! LOL!
    I realize out of context to a third party it looked a bit like an OS war!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

My bad. No offense taken then. Richard bait all you want! Maybe you'll get him to start posting in all caps again! :gulp:

• edited December 1969

Okay as far as I can tell from what I have researched as far asa a MAC PRO as I am not interested in an imac anything! THE only MAC PRO TOWER that runs under a dedicated 64 bit is the "WESTMERE" mac 5,1 line which was their last line and is still the current machines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro

If I am gunna buy a USED machine It will be the last Major Computer I ever buy! I have the money or will in the next few months, so I would like a 64 bit machine. And they are almost impossible to find as yet

Why buy used mac ? Well its like a car! AS soon as you drive a new car off the lot it depreciates 4000-8000 bucks.

I Use to be scared about used machines but made the leap over 5 years ago and those have outlasted and have required less maintenance than from the many I bought new! I have had to replace at least once every hard drive in the MACS I bought new! All my used machines have required no such efforts! KNOCK WOOD! SHeet I bet I just Jinked myself.

I had not thought of 10.7 issues as whatever used mac-pro westmere I am gunna find is gunna be running it more than likely and even if its running a lower OS! I am gunna have to buy a DVD MAC OS install Disk and thats definitely gunna be 10.7? DAMN the luck!

My basic question was for anyone using a MAC as there animation machine is if 64 bit was all that much faster than 32 bit?

• uvavoo_c19d1341b6uvavoo_c19d1341b6 Posts: 16
    edited June 2012

I think you are mistaken about he 64 bittedness of macs.

Certainly ALL Mac Pro's since 2008 use the 64 bit kernel by default. (see the list below from the Apple site).
    As you know the main thing about 64 bit applications is that they can access much more memory, so much more complex files can be created. So put as ram as you can afford into your mac.
    I am using the 64 bit version of Carrara on my iMac and it is working well with OSX Lion.

Having said all this it is important to note that even if you cannot or do not boot kernel into 64-bit mode, you can run your 64-bit apps as 64-bit, and they can take advantage of all the memory in the machine.

You can see which kernel you are using in System Profiler:

Choose About This Mac from the Apple () menu.
    Click More Info.
    Select Software in the Contents pane.
    Look for "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes (or No)" under the System Software Overview heading.

If your Mac uses the 32-bit kernel by default, but supports the 64-bit kernel, you can start up using the 64-bit kernel by holding the 6 and 4 keys during startup.

Good luck.

These Macs use the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X v10.6.
    Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
    MacBook Pro (Early 2011)
    iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2011)
    These Macs use the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X Server v10.6 (they can also use the 64-bit kernel in Mac OS X v10.6, but do not use it by default).

Xserve (Early 2008) and later
    Mac Pro (Early 2008) and later
    Mac mini (Mid 2010)

These Macs support the 64-bit kernel, but do not use it by default.
    iMac (Early 2008) and later
    MacBook Pro (Early 2008 through Mid 2010)

Post edited by uvavoo_c19d1341b6 on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for your knowledge . It looks like I am gunna have to spend the scratch on a WESTMERE machine and I want as much power as I can get at this time because I am pretty sure this will be the last big computer expenditure in my life.

SInce you stated that it looks like mid 2010 is the time mac went 64 bit. WHICH means a MAC PRO "WESTMERE" if I get you right which is still theyir current line!

Of course I would like as much power as possible and have run across a couple of refurbished WESTMERES on Apples site at from $4,000- 5,500 OUCHHH! APPLE has always been very proud of their stuff even when its used but WOW! for another 1500 I could buy a new one! BUT both these machines have 12 cores and thank god finally a 1 gig powered factory installed Graphics card.

I have hoping with all this power I could do most of my rendering on that machine and be done with it!

I find it entertaining every time I buy a new mac and pass the older ones around the room and make room for the next one I use them as render machines but think MAN how did I get by using those older machines, but they all still work in fact I have 2 older G-4s Crunching rendering now! UGH a week now!

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

RichardChaos,

You might want to wait a couple of weeks. The rumor is that Apple will release a long awaited upgrade to the MacPro next week at WWDC. If that happens it usually lowers the price on older models. It also tends to flood the market with used equipment. You might get a better deal once the new models are released.

• edited June 2012

Thanks man Your right these used WESTMEREs Will be 2 grand less in 2 weeks! I read the so called rumors ! Can't wait to see whats under the hood of a new MAC PRO!

Rumors has it this will be the last TOWER MAC! MAC is gunna discontinue the towers after this next run SO I better get one

Post edited by richard.chaos_91798ec102 on