ok horo,david,rashad help

2»

Comments

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Horo said:
    The Mac runs on a Linux kernel. It is hidden and deliberately made inaccessible, there's a Linux below nevertheless.

And the Redhat Cygwin distribution runs atop of Windows. It interfaces nicely with Windows, making it VPN-compatible at no cost.

Bloody hell, I never knew that, I always thought Mac OS was based on Unix!

Heh, well now that's something new to irritate the Apple users with in the coming years (though not on here of course). So not only is Linux responsible for running almost every server on the web, even corporate greed machines like Apple have based their own OS on it. Then of course we have Android from Google which is also based on Linux. And last but most importantly of all, we have the many current and upcoming free distributions of Linux for people who believe their own life belongs to them and not to Apple or Microsoft.

Fun!

You know, all of this reminds me of the song "Marionette", the words have perfect meaning here (totally kick arse on vinyl as well):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTLyRki-VI

Now iz youz an Apple Marionette or iz youz a Microsoft Marionette?
    Or perhapz youz iz a wize Marionette dat uzez Linuxez?

Me recommendz dat peoplez heedz the warninz and learnz to uzez Linuxez ;-)
    No onez iz pullinz my stringziz becoz I iz my ownz Marionette!

Nowz dontz fogetz to listenz to da wordziz in diz songziz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTLyRki-VI

Post edited by pumeco on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 2012

It's a little more complicated then that (LOL):

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_xnu.html

Cool tune Len...even if it is ABBA.

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 2012

It's a little more complicated then that (LOL):

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_xnu.html.

Thanks for rectifying that. We were told at the time when Apple gave up the Motorola PowerPC and went Intel, it would be based on Linux. A lot of folks hereabouts bought Macs just because of that and were then disappointed because they couldn't access it. So it was an advertising hoax.

Post edited by Horo on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

None of this has anything to do with th OP original question. Can we please get back to the original topic.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

hey guys I am getting my computer for me for xmas so from what I have read so far you are against windows 8??? What I have in mind is 64bit ,1t hd,12 gig mem, with some kind of graphics card not sure which yet (???) (ideas on that also) I dont want bryce or any other graphics program to bog me down like my last computer.....any ideas would help me before I spend the bucks......Thank You Trish

As far as Bryce is concerned, you don't need to worry too much about having a fancy (by which I mean expensive) graphics card - although I would recommend, if you have the option, of getting a graphics card that can drive two monitors. Although Bryce can't really take advantage of all the additional real estate offered by two monitors (yes I know there is a sort of attempt to work this in the preferences - but it doesn't work terribly well - at least in my experience) having two monitors is a great advantage when it comes to making scenes since the second monitor can be home to references that you can pick colours from directly with the colour picker - or be running tutorials... for example. Or just have your emails open - which is nice.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

hey guys I am getting my computer for me for xmas so from what I have read so far you are against windows 8??? What I have in mind is 64bit ,1t hd,12 gig mem, with some kind of graphics card not sure which yet (???) (ideas on that also) I dont want bryce or any other graphics program to bog me down like my last computer.....any ideas would help me before I spend the bucks......Thank You Trish

Yes, graphics card. I'm with David here. Most cards have an analogue and a digital output and can accommodate two monitors. Memory ought to be enough on board for that. Otherwise - Bryce doesn't use the fancy things games do. When a $600 graphics card failed once, I was given a $50 one until the original was repaired. As far as Bryce was concerned, I didn't notice any difference at all.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    None of this has anything to do with th OP original question. Can we please get back to the original topic.

Above is the quoted OP, based on the bolded parameters of the question the discussion actually is within the field of topic just probably way more in depth then the original poster intended, although that would be an assumption on anyone's part since the original poster has not weighed in on the direction the conversation has taken.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

None of this is directed towards the OP question. All you're doing is arguing. If it doesn't stop now the thread will be locked.