Is there any way to get Daz to acquire Caligari / Microsoft TRUE SPACE and bring it back as they did

edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

As a hobbyist 3D junkie, I love the programs that Daz has put out. They are powerful and effective (I'm still learning them). That said,I have been a True Space user for many years and when Microsoft bought out Caligari, they put out a free copy of True Space 7. The program, however has no viable documentation and worse, does not have an off line renderer. Microsoft killed True Space. When I downloaded the Daz Bryce 7 program I was impressed with how the interface was familiar as I had Bryce 4, which was the last MetaCreations version. I sincerely hope that Daz would consider acquiring True Space from Microsoft and bring it forward, while preserving its unique qualities and workflow. I feel True Space under Daz care would make a Fantastic addition to the Daz family of first rate modeling, animation and rendering programs. Daz would also be able to remaster True Space so it would integrate with Studio, Bryce Hexagon, Carrara, etc. If anyone should read this and be familiar with True Space, let the powers that be at Daz know what a valuable property TrueSpace would be. Thanks, Swampnar

Comments

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 455
    edited December 1969

Been an avid tS user since tSSe...I still use 6.1/6.6 for alot of modeling...Heck tSSe I still have on 3.5 floppies...

• athenenoctuaathenenoctua Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I absolutely loved TrueSpace. Just adding my vote here.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 455
    edited December 1969

Back in 2004/2005/2007 when I went to siggraph for DAZ helping demo Bryce and DS and Cpro and hex in 2005 Norman from tSpace came by the booth and we had an awesome talk must have talked for almost an hour,He wanted to see about getting DAZ products into tS and maybe providing the Plugin to import the content...Man I wish DAZ and Norman could have hooked up...Things might be a bit different then it is today...

• edited December 1969

I have a question. In all the download copies of True space ,there is no documentation. Some posts on different blogs have said that there was a folder called "ts man pdf" but no such folder seems to exist in the downloaded copies and the Caligari website no longer exists. Also when I type in a search for "True space manual.pdf I usually get directed to either Bit Torrent based websites or to sites that want you to download some wierd toolbar or other non relevant stuff, but not the Truespace 7.6 manual itself. Does anyone out there have or know where to find the actual .pdf manual file for this program? (are there any mirror sites?;-)) As a user of Ts 3, I recognize some of the elements of True space in the 7.6 version but there is so much new stuff that sometimes it gets a little confusing. That said, I still hope that DAZ would consider True space for its portfolio of top flight 3D program line up.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

SWAMPNAR said:
    I have a question. In all the download copies of True space ,there is no documentation. Some posts on different blogs have said that there was a folder called "ts man pdf" but no such folder seems to exist in the downloaded copies and the Caligari website no longer exists. Also when I type in a search for "True space manual.pdf I usually get directed to either Bit Torrent based websites or to sites that want you to download some wierd toolbar or other non relevant stuff, but not the Truespace 7.6 manual itself. Does anyone out there have or know where to find the actual .pdf manual file for this program? (are there any mirror sites?;-)) As a user of Ts 3, I recognize some of the elements of True space in the 7.6 version but there is so much new stuff that sometimes it gets a little confusing. That said, I still hope that DAZ would consider True space for its portfolio of top flight 3D program line up.

good link ts man pdf -
    https://sites.google.com/site/crazymonkeycplusplus/truespace-76-downloads

• edited December 1969

Thank you! Was a big help, will be able to better understand new version better!

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 1969

I remember when Roman Ormandy was making his farewell posts, and he was urging everyone to download the content ASAP, since he did not know how much longer the website would be up. I took him literally, and downloaded everything but the site itself. :)

Anyway, in addition to the executable that contains the manual in PDF format, there was also a whole raft of video tutorials, all organized and placed in rared archives by subject/category, i.e. textures, rendering, organic modelling, etc., etc. The texture creation archive alone has about 40 videos in it! Too bad that they are no longer available, although it is nice to see the application is still being hosted here and there.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

SixDs said:
    I remember when Roman Ormandy was making his farewell posts, and he was urging everyone to download the content ASAP, since he did not know how much longer the website would be up. I took him literally, and downloaded everything but the site itself. :)

Anyway, in addition to the executable that contains the manual in PDF format, there was also a whole raft of video tutorials, all organized and placed in rared archives by subject/category, i.e. textures, rendering, organic modelling, etc., etc. The texture creation archive alone has about 40 videos in it! Too bad that they are no longer available, although it is nice to see the application is still being hosted here and there.

they were about 1.5 g. - sound is bad in some

• MorganRLewisMorganRLewis Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

I know it's a long shot, but I'll add my voice to the support for this as well. trueSpace was a great program, and had the potential to be even greater if some of the kinks had gotten ironed out, and its approach to modeling felt a lot more intuitive to me than most programs.

• edited December 1969

Glad to see several people out there backing the possibility of DAZ acquiring Truespace! Hope to see a growing chorus of voices join this thread. Would like to hear from DAZ to know that someone there has seen this thread and is spreading the word. Also 3Delight would make a kick ass renderer for offline use with Truespace! Swampnar

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I don't know anything about TruSpace.
    I heard about it, but that's about it.

Daz seems to be having trouble keeping up with the software it already owns. Not sure that they would be able to do much with TruSpace even if they did buy it.

That said, I hope someone buys the software you lot are so loyal to and keeps it alive.

Best of luck!