Content Manager Service Questions

1DeViLiShDuDe1DeViLiShDuDe Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

After installing DAZ4.5 I noticed the content manager running in the background in the task manager, even though I hadn't run DAZ for the first time yet.

When I got up this morning it was still running, and I also noticed that my 'screensaver & log off' for online passworded protection didn't run - so I exited the service and the SS/LO sequence still worked fine.

So, my question is this: Is there some setting I need to change so the CM doesn't interfere with my system security features?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192
    edited December 1969

If the CMS is interfering with your system please report that as a bug, with details of the security software. DS itself can't start the CMS as it doesn't have admin rights, but there are shortcuts in the Start menu (for Windows, I can't recall where they are for a Mac) which you can use to manually start and stop the service.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

By default CMS starts with the OS, as applications can't start services. If you don't want it running all the time, set it to Manual (in Services in Windows). You can use the start menu links to start and stop it when you need it, or you can create a batch file to start it before launching DS and stop it afterwards.

• 1DeViLiShDuDe1DeViLiShDuDe Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

If the CMS is interfering with your system please report that as a bug, with details of the security software. DS itself can't start the CMS as it doesn't have admin rights, but there are shortcuts in the Start menu (for Windows, I can't recall where they are for a Mac) which you can use to manually start and stop the service.
    I'm using the default system security for WinXP SP3, with Avast as my scanner.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't any options for controlling how CMS runs, like other background apps that can be controlled via their associated control panel extensions, as I'm not sure about Win7 or 8 - but XP doesn't have any regular system configuration options that would allow a service to be included in the event a specific application being executed.
    But, as you say - a batch file for running DAZ would work, although using the older DOS PIF batch shortcut extension I believe might still work in XP and does have that functionality in the properties for the application shortcut.
    So, I'll try that - unless of course setting the service to on demand should still have the desired effect right? So when you exit DAZ and the service is no longer being used it would exit by itself(theoretically).

Although, the main reason I asked the question was to find out why it was keeping my SS & log off sequence from happening!
    Does it use an event or state that windows thinks the system is active all the time? Hence no suspend or SS event ever gets issued.

Post edited by 1DeViLiShDuDe on
    edited December 1969

I can say only that my PC will shut down if left unattended, but I don't use a screensaver so there may be something unique to that - as I said, it sounds like the sort of thing that should be bug-reported.

Since Developer Discussions is for scripting I am going to move this to DAZ Studio Discussions.

• 1DeViLiShDuDe1DeViLiShDuDe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can say only that my PC will shut down if left unattended, but I don't use a screensaver so there may be something unique to that - as I said, it sounds like the sort of thing that should be bug-reported.

Since Developer Discussions is for scripting I am going to move this to DAZ Studio Discussions.

I'm sorry! Was I not talking about scripting and system configuration? To possibly fix whatever it is that is causing the event not to happen?

I posted in that specific thread for that specific reason, but as you probably could tell - I may be able to fix it myself, without any intervention from the dev's - or even submitting a bug ticket for this particular issue.

I will post my findings pertaining to WinXP, as I'm not interested in fixing it for Win7 or 8 - someone else can do that if they even have the same problem, which I doubt.

edited December 1969

Developer Discussions is for writing scripts for DAZ Studio, not really for more general issues and not for addressing the developers at DAZ. It is not, I think, a clearly labelled or described sub-forum.