Strenghth Maps: Colour or Grayscale? render resource question.

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Not getting a response on CGTalk, so I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

I applied an ambience strenth map to a background that was 24 bit, basically I pushed the contrast and got a good effect after I applied it.

My question is this: IF I had made it Grayscale, would it have taken less resources at render time, or does it matter at all?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I would think it would use less memory if it were grayscale, but I can't say for certain.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking that as well... but it would be interesting to find out... the reason I'm hesitant to grayscale the maps is because I don't want to screw up the settings and have different ones for the various maps, which would be noticeable in the render.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

If you are already using the colour ambient map I would imagine its less costly to use it again as Strength map, than to add another map.I haven't specifically tried to add a greyscale map, but I tried a few tests by plugging the Diffuse map in Ambient channel and I'm not sure I see a difference memory-wise (according to Task manager).

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

just applying the colour map as a strength map wasn't possible in this case. I needed the ambiance to deepen the scene, which required a high contrast map. Try doing that, you'll be amazed at the difference. All I'm asking is this: would it have been better to make it grayscale?

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited June 2012

I've been toying with that idea since about last October, I'll do it sooner or later. ;)
    Greyscale will take less memory regardless, but I don't expect it would make a huge difference unless your map is huge.

Post edited by ReDave on