If I wanted to alter clothing geometry...

RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi.

I have been trying to get some information on how to access and use the Content Creator Kit (I have both DAZ 4 and 4.5 on different machines and have them registered), but I'm not having much luck. What I'd like to do, basically, is take an existing half-sleeve tee shirt, and make the sleeves much shorter to re-purpose the item. Is the CCT the right tool to use, or am I barking up the wrong tree. And if it is right, any tips on how I'd go about this task?

Thank you!

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

No you would need a modellung program for which Daz Studio is not. Yes it has tools to help convert the mesh so it can be used properly in Daz Studio but the software is not a modelling program.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

You can do it in Hexagon, although if you didn't create the original item you can't distribute your results - you can use it for yourself though. I think if you alter it in Hex you'll have to set it up again as a new shirt in DS, and modifying geometry also breaks morphs. There is info in the Wiki about how to set it up, and also Bobbie25 has a nice video on youtube about how to set up clothes in DS.

If you just want the sleeves shorter, depending on the shirt a transmap might work, although you won't get a thick edge like you can create in a modeller.

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029
    edited December 2012

Wow... sounds like I'm opening a can of worms that might not be worth it. Could I take an existing cap-sleeve top that I have and just apply the texture of the half-sleeve one to it? What I'm wanting to do is take the top from a DAZ soccer uniform (the black and white one... can't recall the prod name at the moment) and shorten the sleeves. I have not bought the product yet so I can't experiment.

(And no, I don't want to re-distribute the item... this is for my use.)

Thanks for your replies!

Post edited by RenderPretender on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

If this is for Genesis, then I have a free Football Kit on ShareCG which has long and short sleeves.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64587/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Football-Kit

edited December 1969

Well, these are FANTASTIC!!!! Thank you so much! In fact, I recognized your design name and have used other products of yours with great success... thank you! And as it happens, I can also make your blouse mats apply to my top nicely! I think you may have solved my problem. Now I need to hunt for some soccer shoes.

I bookmarked your freebies page... thank you!!!! :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

masi3vee said:
    Wow... sounds like I'm opening a can of worms that might not be worth it. Could I take an existing cap-sleeve top that I have and just apply the texture of the half-sleeve one to it? What I'm wanting to do is take the top from a DAZ soccer uniform (the black and white one... can't recall the prod name at the moment) and shorten the sleeves. I have not bought the product yet so I can't experiment.

(And no, I don't want to re-distribute the item... this is for my use.)

Thanks for your replies!

That is a definite maybe...

Everything that takes textures should be UV mapped (a way of mapping the 3d coordinates to the 2D texture)...so the likelyhood of two different items sharing the same mapping is extremely low. But if the layout is similar and stretching won't be a problem...it could work. But that still won't shorten the sleeves.

To to that one of the easiest ways is to make a transparency map and apply it to the 'opacity' channel (in surfaces)...basically make an image of the item (most have a texture map or template to start with). Black is transparent, white opaque...and you paint the areas you want to disappear, black...

All of that needs to be done in an image editor...like Photoshop or GIMP.

(template/maps are from my own t-shirt)

First image...template
    Second...'base' transmap
    Third...shorter sleeves

tshirttransdemo3.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 57K
    tshirttransdemo2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 57K
    tshirttransdemo.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 517K
    edited December 1969

mjc, thank you as well! I might use your recommendation to play with a long-sleeve garment that I have, just for the sake of learning. And if it works... all the better!

Thank you! :)

edited December 1969

Works, mjc! now if I can learn to use the tools to get a reasonably smooth line for the "new" sleeve edge (I realize it will not e as good close-up as in a modeling program), I can use this idea/technique!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

A 'hard' brush, zooming in on the map and patience...that will get you some pretty nice edges with transmaps.

You can also use that technique to simulate cut-outs, rips/tears, distress and other fun stuff.