are there any clear starting instructions?

info a428info a428 Posts: 0
edited November 2012 in New Users

I joined and can't seem to get clear instructions on what to do--I've looked at videos, created an account, "shopped" for Daz Studio and re ceived it--I keep seeing links to "download" but there is no download. I went to help and knowledge base--the only "help" for how to get started was old and every link, including the manual is broken.

How does anyone start? what do I download? I see a bunch of downloads in my account, but what do they mean--obviously the mac is not what I want--but I haven't a clue as to what to download at all...so frustrating.

I want instructions, starting with step 1.

what do I download to begin? Where is it?

thanks, Frustrated Shelly

Post edited by info a428 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

This should get you started...

screen41.png
    1280 x 1024 - 159K
    screen40.png
    1280 x 1024 - 257K
    screen39.png
    1280 x 1024 - 308K
  • colinmac2colinmac2 Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

I'm in the same basic situation -- I've gotten everything downloaded (I think), but I can't find anything in my Content Library. I've managed to open the file for a Genesis Female, but I can't dress her, give her hair, or even move her. HELP! Followed the instructions, and still nothing!

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 2012

info (Frustrated Shelley): what you need to know first is what type of OS you have (I assume Windows PC, if you don't want the Mac files), which software you want to use (DAZ Studio, right?), and whether you need the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of the software. This may vary depending on your system, but on my computer if I click on the Start button, then click "Computer," then click "System Properties," it tells me (under the System heading, in the middle of the screen) that my "System type" is "64-bit Operating System."

If your OS is 32-bit, you'll definitely need the 32-bit version of DAZ Studio. If your OS is 64-bit, you'll probably want the 64-bit version, but be aware that the system requirements are higher for the 64-bit version: http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-tech-specs

If your computer meets these specs and has a 64-bit OS, then I'd definitely recommend the 64-bit version of the software. Otherwise, you may need the 32-bit version (though I should say that my own system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, yet it runs the 64-bit version of DAZ Studio just fine).

Looking at My Downloadable Products (following mjc1016's instructions above) you'll see there are different DAZ Studio installation files there depending on whether you use a PC or Mac, and depending on whether you want the 32 or 64 bit version. Download the appropriate file for DAZ Studio. Also download the Genesis Starter Essentials (the one with trx in the filename, not the one with Poser in the filename).

After these two downloads complete, install both and you'll be ready to start using the software.

colinmac2: you should be able to find clothing and hair in Smart Content, but if nothing is there look in the Content Library under:
    DAZ Studio Formats>My Library>People>Genesis>Clothing (or Hair)

If your Smart Content is empty, try reimporting metadata: click on the little icon with the triangle and four horizontal lines like this:

>=
    ==

Then click "Content Database Maintenance," then select "Re-Import Metadata."

If that doesn't work, there could be a problem with your Content Management Service (CMS). See this thread for details: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12414/ (one of many threads in the forum about this topic...it's a common problem)

Hope this helps! If either of you need more assistance, probably the New User Help Forum is the best place to ask: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/97/

Note: I'm not affiliated with DAZ in any way...just a fellow user trying to help out. You'll find a lot of people like that in the forum here. :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • info a428info a428 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the help--but still having problems. I did as was told by the first post and yours, Scott:

I have a 64 bit system like you. Still no luck.

I had 4 versions to download. I tried to activate the exe program and it said the installation path was not found. it closed the installation and now i have only 3 downloads and I don't know what that means. It simply will not install.

this is the one I tried to download:

"100405256 11/29/12 DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro - 3D Photoshop Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5.x 64-bit - exe - pc Available 3"

I am not sure how they expect people to use this program--i really want to do it, but can't get a simple install (by the way, I do websites so am not unfamiliar with computers. You instructions were very clear and I did it, but.... not working. I have the accounts and the downloadable page, a pc, windows 7...

I am using up whatever they are offering and getting nothing. Maybe i am not downloading the program itself?

• info a428info a428 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok--tried again--I have no idea why it won't work. Attached is a screen shot of the message I get--this time I tried the Decimater--what ever that is--none of the downloads tell you which is the actual program. I take that back--another snag, it will not take my screen shot! says that a PDF is not the type of file allowed. What?

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi info...

The file you want to download is called "DAZ Studio 4.5.x 64-bit - exe -pc" for 64 bit PC

and "Genesis Starter Essentials 1.6 - exe- pc"

The others "Photoshop 3D Bridge", "GoZ" are for if you have those programs, and "Decimator" if you have paid for it.

Install DAZ Studio first, and then the Genesis Starter Essentials...

Don't worry if you run out of available downloads, you can reset them from your Itemized Order History

The forums only take Image format files, .jpg, .png, ...not PDF

hope this helps... :)