Morph Loader in D4.5

CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

In DS3A, I bought Morph Loader and used it to save a lot of head morphs for V4. Trying
to apply them to V4 in DS4.5, it almost works, but the ears and neck implode into sharp
jagged polygonal messes (if you follow...). I'm using "Morph Loader Pro" which
seems to be built in. Any ideas or fixes? Any alternatives? Does DS 4.5 have any other way to save
a morph to a slider? One reason I liked Morph Loader is that it allowed me to mix in
multiple morphs at whatever levels I liked. Puppeteer almost does that, but not quite.

Comments

• jim_24f6dba522jim_24f6dba522 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think you get jagged broken morphs if you export using bone welds for your base mesh?

I could be wrong?

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

jim said:
    I think you get jagged broken morphs if you export using bone welds for your base mesh?

I could be wrong?

I'll try some various options with new exports, but what I'd really like is to use the many morphs I've already created.

• edited December 1969

You should think about making the jump to Genesis. Most of the new tools are so much easier to use and all your old Props, Clothing, and hair can be easily converted. You can use Wings3D, Blender, and/or Sculptris to Sculpt morphs and then save your characters to Dials!! ...

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Anything Gen4 I still do in DS3. I could never get 4.5 to load the morphs correctly (or save out either). However, I use SyrInj (in the DAZ store) for all of my morph loading, as it saves it as a PZ2 file rather than load it into V4's CR2.

edited December 1969

I appreciate the comments. Daz went to the bother to write the morph loader pro and morph
    loader advanced (still unclear why we need both) for DS4.5. So, it should be useable and I
    guess it's just buggy at present. If anyone could try to recreate my issue I'd appreciate hearing
    about it: export a facial morph for V4 in DS3, and then try to use it on V4 in DS4.5 and see
    if the ears and neck implode or if they morph properly. Thanks!

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited November 2012

Morph Loader was IIRC in Advanced, and perhaps Standard as well, while Morph Loader Pro was a DS Pro-only feature, that's why there are two. The non-Pro has always given me problems, too. I have exported, as OBJ, a V4 head with a male morph dialed to 80% both as welded and unwelded and it loads apparently correctly in DS4.5. I do not see ear nor neck distortion. I'm not sure what the cause could be.

Post edited by ReDave on
    edited December 1969

I've verified that if I export the morphs in DS4.5 they import properly (in DS4.5). So,
    that's a start. I'll keep playing.

BTW, when I exported morphs in DS3A, I used to hide all the body parts except for
    the neck, head, eyes, jaws, and tongue. And then used the option about the hidden
    body parts. While playing with DS4.5, I didn't bother to do that and the head morphs
    still seem ok. Was it unnecessary to do this in DS3A with morph loader, or has something
    changed?

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Your DS3 technique is correct, only the visible vertices are saved I don't think it changed in DS4.5 (I did a quick test). In any case if you plan on re-importing as a morph, it's not wrong to export everything since the Morph loader strips the unused values.

edited December 1969

I've played around with my custom morphs with mixed results in 4.6. What I'm finding is that V4 head morphs made in DS4.6 (exported as .obj, Daz defaults checked) and applied in Morph Loader Pro work fine on some saved characters, but not on others. When it doesn't work, I get the horrible crumpling of the neck I reported earlier. It seems that if its a "fresh" V4 that hasn't already had a bunch of morphs added, before saving, then the morphs work. Any thoughts on why this may be the case? Any ideas how to fix this? I do love to mix and match morphs!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm no Morph expert but I believe you must fix the New morph to include the other morphs on the figure (talk to/include) when you are in Morph Loader pro. If not all the morphs will not talk to each other properly and you see what that causes. I'm sure it's just settings you need to add before you save the morph.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm no Morph expert but I believe you must fix the New morph to include the other morphs on the figure (talk to/include) when you are in Morph Loader pro. If not all the morphs will not talk to each other properly and you see what that causes. I'm sure it's just settings you need to add before you save the morph.

Thanks for the reply. Unless I'm totally confused, morph loader pro is not involved in saving the morph. When applying it, on the other hand, I just tried some of the switches available in morph loader pro (about adding deltas, overwriting, etc.) but it doesn't seem to help. I'd love to figure out why this works on some saved characters and not others.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah, was a shot in the dark. I only make Prop morphs so I've only read a few posts on character morphs.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

The way you where working with only the head may have effected the grouping. If you still have DS3 try loading the old figures and your custom morphs then export to object being sure to check Use Existing Groups. Now try them in DS4.x.