can i move daz studio to another hard drive

rigomrtsfxrigomrtsfx Posts: 94
edited December 1969 in The Commons

i lost my hard drive an everything on my PC today .......it was a old XP model windows
and i am running my laptop for now again old model ..... if i was to get a new PC and get a ex hard drive can i have daz studio
on the ex hard drive or does it have to be on the main PC to run ? for the ex hard drive i wanted to have daz studio and my artwork saved only

can put daz on my laptop its for work used only
thank you for your time

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

It can go on the external. Both my DAZ and Poser installs are.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited November 2012

It can go on the external. Both my DAZ and Poser installs are.

The basic libraries for modern versions of DAZ Studio (and I think Poser) can be wherever you want. All you have to do is tell Studio where the library roots are. However, I seem to remember problems with the DAZ Studio3 version of the "Category" index not being portable because it seemed to remember which letter-drive the items were stored on. I remember someone posting a very long and complicated procedure on how to edit the category index to fix that problem but for me it was more trouble than it was worth. I simply gave up, erased my Category index and manually re-categorized everything (which I'd thought about doing anyway). Took me a month. :-(

Perhaps the DAZ Studio4 content manager is smarter about automatically re-identifying where your library items are but I sincerely doubt it.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Ah, well, there's your problem, *cough* I don't use the CMS at all, so that was not significant.