Material names in exported .obj file

hschunghschung Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,
When I export multiple objects that share some of the material names into .obj files,
Daz Studio appends the object name to the material names.
For example, if there are objects with the names prop1, prop2, prop3 and so on,
with materials with the same names, DS exports .obj files with material names
mat_prop2, mat_prop3 ...
While this is understandable, it is annoying when I'm working with duplicates of the same object that I intend to use same materials on.
Is there a way to keep the material names "as is" when exporting to .obj?
Choosing different options in the export window doesn't seem to change this behavior.
(I'm using DS 4.5.0.114.)

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Within DS...not that I know of.

Usually, if I really need to, I'll open the OBJ and MTL files in a text editor or UVMapper (free version) and rename things.

If you use a text editor you'll need to edit both, manually...UVMapper just load the OBJ and then start selecting by Material and rename it/assign. When you save it out of UVMapper, it will write the new MTL file with the corrected names.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

In the export box, there are options to name materials after groups, etc. I've never used them, but I think one of those should do what you want.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

If renaming occurs, there are two ways to correct it.

1. In a text editor like Notepad++

2. Using Poseray. See my tutorial here - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i - as it already covers that.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    If renaming occurs, there are two ways to correct it.

1. In a text editor like Notepad++

2. Using Poseray. See my tutorial here - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i - as it already covers that.

Blender 2.4x was bad at doing that to both materials and group names...I haven't noticed it in 2.6x, so maybe they finally 'saw the light'?