SITE UPDATES, ANNOUNCEMENTS, AND CUSTOMER SERVICE INFORMATION

Comments

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

I was tempted back to the store by the PA sale, after refusing to buy anything here for many months because of the screw-ups and sloooow page responses... but at checkout, all I got was an error page.

This site is a joke. I feel sorry for the brokered artists here.

magneto.jpg
    550 x 224 - 34K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    OK.. I understand the move and all but come on, what are they doing to the web site? I feel like I'm back on a dial up this whole day so far. I'm not bothering coming here till late on... it's just too annoying waiting a full minute for a page to load up... that's just ridiculous! :coolmad:

It's taking 15 to 20 seconds for me. I have a really high speed account with Comcast, though. But even that is terribly slow. The thinking in the IT world today is that if your site isn't responsive, loading a page in less than 5 seconds (used to be 10 but I saw something that gave 3 as a new standard, but I don't buy that), then people will leave the page. Nobody likes to wait for anything these days. The only thing DAZ3D has going for them is the specialized nature of the site. A new visitor would just leave.

Dana

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Exactly. They really need to keep statistics like that in mind when fiddling with things in the middle of the day. Of course this is an international site so when they are opening up shop I'm getting up. Usually the AM is OK if they are going to fiddle but it's been all day. Maybe it's the catch up sale that's got their servers overloaded.. I don't care! lmao! I've said this time and time again, they should never have EVERYTHING on one server. When merchants are uploading the lag time increases in the forums. If they are updating something store or forums then things sometimes come to a halt. It's not at all enticing!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Speed back to normal for me. Good on ya DAZ.

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

It used to be, when there were problems like this, especially during one of their big sales that they'd give us something as a way of saying "we're sorry for the inconvenience." and they gave it to everyone.

A shame that it seems those days have gone with the old site.

edited December 1969

There was a note from Brittney from DAZ but it was removed. The same bug persists as from the old site.... I was hoping that this was going to be resolve with this new software, apparently not... I clicked the link to come out to the forum and was told that the thread does not exist. SIGH..... DAZ DAZ DAZ.... *spanks DAZ HARD*

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    There was a note from Brittney from DAZ but it was removed. The same bug persists as from the old site.... I was hoping that this was going to be resolve with this new software, apparently not... I clicked the link to come out to the forum and was told that the thread does not exist. SIGH..... DAZ DAZ DAZ.... *spanks DAZ HARD*

I got the email with that message in it, too. I had to go to the forums menu and trace into this thread again. DAZ3D definitely had told us that this wouldn't happen with the new software. Now if the folks at Magento told them that, then they have reason right there to take them to task about this fiasco. What else did they lie...err...make misleading statements about?

The only worse software rollout I have ever seen was one where I was brought in to fix someone else's mess. It was for a collection agency. Custom software had been written, but the "contractor" had written very, very bad code. Didn't follow even the simplest rules. For example:

It was not a complete application yet, but they told the people they could go ahead and use it for production data, for live business!

They had no enforcement of clean data...

duplicates of key values were allowed;
    blank key values were allowed;
    there were transaction dates in the future.

After a long walk through the application and the code, I told the person who hired me that it would be best to rewrite it from scratch, using the database structure that was already in place, with some modifications, and after I cleaned the data as completely as possible. It took me about a year to complete the project, but they had a solid application without errors, and it even printed checks. Can you imagine a collection agency taken to court and not having proper data to back up their claims?

Your honor, this payment was made on December 18, 2005.

But today is only October 23, 2002!

Yes, your honor, but I assure you this payment was made.

:lol:

Dana

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

The forum menus have disappeared yet again!!

Why does this keep happening?

Please restore the forum menus. This is an important feature that I use continuously.

forum_menus-was-is.jpg
    800 x 800 - 216K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure if Daz is wanting feedback on recent changes but aside from the slowness of the site and the frequent error messages from the makers of the site software, the changes made have been causing the newest items in the new releases to not necessarily appear at the top of the new releases page. Sometimes they're there sometimes they're further down. Like today when I logged in Dark Raven Reloaded was at the top of the page as it should be but Muelsfell Medieval Winery Texture Set and Deep Blue were beneath the AprilYSH bundles that posted two days ago. The point being that if someone expected all new items to be at the top as they should be and have been, they might not scroll down to find the misplaced new items. This is happening to me using IE 9 and has been going on for the past 2-3 days now.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:
    I was tempted back to the store by the PA sale, after refusing to buy anything here for many months because of the screw-ups and sloooow page responses... but at checkout, all I got was an error page.

I feel sorry for anyone who gave up on something they wanted enough to buy, after that error message. So far pretty much everyone reporting they have got the errors also reported if you try the link or whatever that caused the error again right after it then everything works fine. Yes granted it's annoying and yes granted at the very best it makes Daz appear clueless about how to run their own site but to give up so easily suggests you didn't really want what you were buying that badly and that you're more interested in finding fault with Daz.

• gw3972gw3972 Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

The whole store is unacceptable from a trading standards and accounting point of view. I just added an item to my cart from the sale, listed at $7.98, but it showed up in the cart as being free. If they were based in the European Union, Daz would be obliged to honour that price.

When confidence in a system or company starts to erode, it can very quickly snowball and turn into a major problem. It's time DAZ management took this seriously and allocated the resources necessary to fix things - it's been live for over six months, for goodness sake.

edited December 1969

gw3972 said:
    The whole store is unacceptable from a trading standards and accounting point of view. I just added an item to my cart from the sale, listed at $7.98, but it showed up in the cart as being free. If they were based in the European Union, Daz would be obliged to honour that price.

When confidence in a system or company starts to erode, it can very quickly snowball and turn into a major problem. It's time DAZ management took this seriously and allocated the resources necessary to fix things - it's been live for over six months, for goodness sake.

No, actually only four months! Not that that is a good thing either. >:( 19 weeks and counting!

Dana

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:

I feel sorry for anyone who gave up on something they wanted enough to buy, after that error message. So far pretty much everyone reporting they have got the errors also reported if you try the link or whatever that caused the error again right after it then everything works fine. Yes granted it's annoying and yes granted at the very best it makes Daz appear clueless about how to run their own site but to give up so easily suggests you didn't really want what you were buying that badly and that you're more interested in finding fault with Daz.

Feel sorry for me if you like, but three artists got no money because Daz can't run their site.

"but to give up so easily suggests you didn't really want what you were buying that bad" - This is just a hobby, it's not like buying food.

It's less that I "give up so easily", more that I didn't have confidence in the site and that I might get charged multiple times if I tried to send the cart through again after getting a critical fail in a commercial transaction. YMMV.

"you're more interested in finding fault with Daz" - I've been a customer since 2003 and never known the site to be so bad.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    RAMWolff said:

I got the email with that message in it, too. I had to go to the forums menu and trace into this thread again. DAZ3D definitely had told us that this wouldn't happen with the new software. Now if the folks at Magento told them that, then they have reason right there to take them to task about this fiasco. What else did they lie...err...make misleading statements about?

The only worse software rollout I have ever seen was one where I was brought in to fix someone else's mess. It was for a collection agency. Custom software had been written, but the "contractor" had written very, very bad code. Didn't follow even the simplest rules. For example:

It was not a complete application yet, but they told the people they could go ahead and use it for production data, for live business!

They had no enforcement of clean data...

duplicates of key values were allowed;
    blank key values were allowed;
    there were transaction dates in the future.

After a long walk through the application and the code, I told the person who hired me that it would be best to rewrite it from scratch, using the database structure that was already in place, with some modifications, and after I cleaned the data as completely as possible. It took me about a year to complete the project, but they had a solid application without errors, and it even printed checks. Can you imagine a collection agency taken to court and not having proper data to back up their claims?

Your honor, this payment was made on December 18, 2005.

But today is only October 23, 2002!

Yes, your honor, but I assure you this payment was made.

:lol:

Dana

Ah, so your a code person yourself. I don't understand ALLOT of this stuff but from an end users standpoint and someone that keeps his promises 99.9% of the time I don't like when a well meaning company like DAZ falls short. It's like that promise of a Dynamic Clothing Creation plugin that never came to be for what ever reasons.... it was still promised and never materialized! I understand about bugs and sputters but this is going on what... 6 months now since the roll out? Many of the old bugs we THOUGHT were gone are still here and we have new ones and many many missing bits and pieces that would make EVERYONE'S experience, including the mods, much nicer!

edited December 1969

I'm not sure if Daz is wanting feedback on recent changes but aside from the slowness of the site and the frequent error messages from the makers of the site software, the changes made have been causing the newest items in the new releases to not necessarily appear at the top of the new releases page. Sometimes they're there sometimes they're further down. Like today when I logged in Dark Raven Reloaded was at the top of the page as it should be but Muelsfell Medieval Winery Texture Set and Deep Blue were beneath the AprilYSH bundles that posted two days ago. The point being that if someone expected all new items to be at the top as they should be and have been, they might not scroll down to find the misplaced new items. This is happening to me using IE 9 and has been going on for the past 2-3 days now.

This has been happening to me all along too, I'm using Firefox 14

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

I couldn't access anything at all today for nearly 3 hours. I kept getting an error saying the domain name didn't exist :( It just started working again a few minutes ago. Nothing else was giving me troubles, just Daz. I tried in 2 different browsers and it was the same thing in each :(

edited December 1969

Richard, it's only been four months. They went live on May 16. That's still much too long for this, though!

Try this...when you have the store thumbnails up...change the number per page and see what happens! :lol: Things change position! >:(

Dana

edited December 1969

YAYA... saw your mentioning on the only 19 weeks up mention.... my bad. paddle me! :P

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Thank you for restoring the forum menus!

-

de3an said:

Please restore the forum menus. This is an important feature that I use continuously.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Thank you for restoring the forum menus!

-

de3an said:

Yes, thank you! (hopefully that 5+ hour downtime wasn't just to restore the menus o.0 LoL)

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    I couldn't access anything at all today for nearly 3 hours. I kept getting an error saying the domain name didn't exist :( It just started working again a few minutes ago. Nothing else was giving me troubles, just Daz. I tried in 2 different browsers and it was the same thing in each :(

that has happened to me for the last two mornings my time.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    YAYA... saw your mentioning on the only 19 weeks up mention.... my bad. paddle me! :P

Sorry, not into that! %-P

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    RAMWolff said:

Dana

Ah, a closet paddler. I knew it! :P

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    DanaTA said:
    RAMWolff said:

Dana

Ah, a closet paddler. I knew it! :P

It seems you consider denial an admission of guilt. So, I'll have to play like a politician (ewwww!) and say, "No comment." I imagine that doesn't help, either.

Oh, look! They've extended the catch up sale!

Dana

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

i am so annoyed. The PA sale ends tonight and DAZ is refusing to let me make a purchase. First it was down, now it won't let me add to my cart. It keeps saying only one of the item is allowed. I even tried to make the purchase through another source other than this computer - same result.

Oh well, I guess I am not suppose to buy anything tonight. Money is safe.

edited December 1969

Does anybody know if this product requires the Ferris Wheel? :lol: :-P

Dana

Ferris_Wheel.jpg
    797 x 548 - 71K
  • ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

Never mind my griping. I added another product and then both items were there. I wish the store worked properly.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Actually, it feels like a lot longer than 19 weeks...doesn't it? :lol:

Dana

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

By the way, about forum notifications: yes, if a post is removed you get the "no thread" page. But if you hunted down your thread, you will get notifications again. Unlike the old forum, where the thread was forever broken. *a little bit of light here*
    I asked about a link to the thread being added to the notification mail, but the developers said no way. Unfortunately.

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Anyone else? I just bought The Library, Invetero, and the Skeleton Throne- all onsale. Magnum Opus downloaded and installed- the others mentioned- would not open-by Archive Utility-or Stuffit. I am on Mac OSX 10.6.9 64 bit
    I restarted just in case it was a computer issue, changed Download destination-nothing working.

ARRGH!
    Support ticket opened.